If injured the ability to sue those who made you unarmed to begin with (Read 2458 times)

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
or something similar to this bill being introduced in TN.  I think somebody already mentioned suing not only HPD but the state as well as they are the ones blocking our carry rights to begin with.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/bill-allows-lawsuits-if-someone-is-injured-in-a-gun-free-zone

Under a new – and particularly splendid bill – if a citizen is attacked or injured while in a gun-free zone, the victim can sue the property owner for effectively disarming them.

The Tennessee bill would allow someone who has a “valid gun permit” and who was denied the right to self-defense to file a lawsuit against a property owner in the event of injury or death.

Sponsored by Sen. Dolores Gresham, the bill’s stated purpose is: “to balance the right of a handgun carry permit holder to carry a firearm in order to exercise the right of self-defense and the ability of a property owner or entity in charge of the property to exercise control over governmental or private property.”
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: If injured the ability to sue those who made you unarmed to begin with
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
That is a great way to look at this situation. Maybe we have been looking at this the wrong way. Make it possible to be sued for disarming just like how your responsible for anything that leaves you firearm. It's only fair. If that's your "Defense " is to disarm... you should be responsible for that so called "shot" if someone was to get hurt under that decision.

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
In certain gun free zones on the mainland where I have ccw permit, I carry anyway.  Starbucks, some restaurants,  theaters etc.  Not at government places.  If SHTF happened in a gun free zone, I would not try and stop the shooter unless me or my family was going to be attacked.  I would just try to get to safety and not let anyone know I had a gun.  No sense getting into legal trouble trying to be a good guy when they have a law against it.

HiCarry

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
or something similar to this bill being introduced in TN. I think somebody already mentioned suing not only HPD but the state as well as they are the ones blocking our carry rights to begin with.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/bill-allows-lawsuits-if-someone-is-injured-in-a-gun-free-zone

Under a new – and particularly splendid bill – if a citizen is attacked or injured while in a gun-free zone, the victim can sue the property owner for effectively disarming them.

The Tennessee bill would allow someone who has a “valid gun permit” and who was denied the right to self-defense to file a lawsuit against a property owner in the event of injury or death.

Sponsored by Sen. Dolores Gresham, the bill’s stated purpose is: “to balance the right of a handgun carry permit holder to carry a firearm in order to exercise the right of self-defense and the ability of a property owner or entity in charge of the property to exercise control over governmental or private property.”

A government official given the discretion to approve or deny permits cannot be held liable for exercising his discretion under qualified immunity.

There was a case where the police chief (or Judge, I don't recall...) was sued because he had a habit of not even reviewing the concealed carry permit applications so one of the denied individuals sued. The best the court could do was force the official to actually review the applications prior to denying. Of course that didn't change that he never actually approved a permit, just forced him to read them before denial....

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:56 PM »
A government official given the discretion to approve or deny permits cannot be held liable for exercising his discretion under qualified immunity.

There was a case where the police chief (or Judge, I don't recall...) was sued because he had a habit of not even reviewing the concealed carry permit applications so one of the denied individuals sued. The best the court could do was force the official to actually review the applications prior to denying. Of course that didn't change that he never actually approved a permit, just forced him to read them before denial....

So again the only ones suffering any consequence is the public.  How, Hawaii, did the state go from it's own constitution of "Shall Not Be Infringed", to the morass of HRS laws completely contrary to that.  What.  the.  H.  Always in the minority, forever on the plantation is not going to fly much longer.  We are US citizens and we have rights!

Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

punaperson

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »
We are US citizens and we have rights!
:shaka:
Two things.

1. It'd be a little more accurate to say: As human beings we have natural/God-given rights, and we live in a country having the supreme law of the land, the Constitution, stating that at least certain enumerated rights may not be infringed by the government. (All the arguing about "absolute" vs. "shouting fire in a crowded theater where there is no fire", owning nuclear weapons, etc., starts there... ;) )

2. That map is very outdated. Illinois clearly allows concealed carry due to one of the most important recent Second Amendment court cases. An updated map is here: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

ren

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »
I find it stupid to have a bill to give back our rights to defend ourselves.
We've grown as a society to call someone else for help i.e. "call 911" what most people don't realize that it is too late. Help arrives after an event happens.
We de-evolved into this:

we may find the scene from Demolition Man unrealistic but considering nationwide police sentiment about "brutality" "use of force policy" We are slowly becoming that society in Demo Man.

in reality this is what the world still is no matter what we think of ourselves, no matter how civilized, evolved or technologically advanced we think of ourselves...Mother Nature...she's in all of us