ASAP! Firearms registrations sharing with Hawaii Criminal JDC database? (Read 14917 times)

Mauivigilance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ASAP! Firearms registrations sharing with Hawaii Criminal JDC database?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
Definitely not trying to bash just stating the truth dear friend. Glad some individual took it upon themselves to mention this 2nd amendment issue. Maybe some of that charitable money should go to that person instead. Lol (sarcasm)
The only ism that has not failed me yet is skepticism.....

Jl808

ASAP! Firearms registrations sharing with Hawaii Criminal JDC database?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
Guys lets not bash HRA.  HRA personnel are volunteers. The money's sent to HRA goes to fund activities to help lobby for our rights locally.

If you think HRA can do more, volunteer and ask how you can help make HRA stronger.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Mauivigilance

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
Thank you jl808 for the information. Just want people to make knowledgeable decisions and donations as well.

macsak

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
Guys lets not bash HRA.  HRA personnel are volunteers. The money's sent to HRA goes to fund activities to help lobby for our rights locally.

If you think HRA can do more, volunteer and ask how you can help make HRA stronger.

HDF is helping jl808 as much as we can
a few of us are working with jl to plan bigger and better efforts in the future
HDF is a tiny organization both in terms of manpower and dollarpower relative to HRA, who we also support wholeheartedly
this is not the time to divide, it is time to work together
i feel like this is a pivotal session for 2a in hawaii and am VERY concerned about the situation

Mauivigilance

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 08:36:23 PM »
I agree lets not divide ourselves. Can you give us an example of what to write in our testament against this broad and vague bill?

Jl808

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
Let us please not divide as gun owners, whether firearm enthusiasts, gun club member, competitors, hunters, soldiers, emergency responders, cowboy shooters, veterans, hobbyists, etc.  Support your gun clubs and gun community and become more active.

We need to band and vote together or hang individually.

Jl808

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
I agree lets not divide ourselves. Can you give us an example of what to write in our testament against this broad and vague bill?

Regarding the  HCJDC accessing the gun registration records, I don't believe other agencies should have access to personal information contained in those records. It is not only local PD that accesses the HCJDC database. And why expose our addresses, social security numbers, etc unnecessarily?

And yes, as Edster put it, as legal and registered gun owners, we undergo more background checks than most people and are not criminals.

The Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center (HCJDC) is an agency of the Department of the Attorney General in the State of Hawaii and is responsible for the statewide criminal history record information system (CJIS-Hawaii), the statewide Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS), the statewide SexOffender and Other Covered Offender Registry, and the Adult Criminal Conviction Information Web Site (eCrim).

I had a hard time coming up with a reason against the gun Rap Back bill. However, if you combine it with the other bills that they are pushing (mental health, gun confiscation bill), it puts our rights as gun owners at risk.

Not 100% sure on this but let's say you get cited for being drunk in Vegas, combine the Rap Back bill and Mental health/Gun Confiscation bill, do you now get all your firearms sized when you get back in Hawaii?

Mauivigilance

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »
Wow you are right about that. Because its so vague and oddly jumbled it could be interpreted in so many bad ways. Ive never drank and drive before but just the thought. Thanks for the eye opener and response. Ill be sure to send my testimony with words along those lines.

Jl808

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:37 PM »
Something to add about the data sharing.

The information in the firearms registration records contain Personally Identifiable Information (PII). The health industry has extensive laws under HIPAA to protect someone's PII and health records.  We are law abiding and not criminals. What assurance do we have regarding the handling of our PII by HCJDC and other agencies accessing it?

There has to be something here regarding protecting our privacy.

Wikipedia on PII
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:19:59 PM by Jl808 »

Jl808

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
Guys just want to say that this bill has pros and cons. I actually have mixed feelings about this.

I am erring on the side of caution (testifying against it), but I see the benefits for local LEO to have access to other counties firearm registration info.  Please read, deliberate and think through this bill to see how you would like to testify.

RookWorx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Dick energy with that Buck Rodgers Swag!
    • View Profile
    • RookCustoms
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »

Again no one is bashing on HRA. If I had a minute in the day I would Brother! Look i think its ridiculous that us asking that the website be updated a little sooner than 2013 is considered bashing!? There are a total of 20 Directors/ Officers/ Committee Chairs. Don't make excuses.

I do appreciate your view on the following bills!
Not sure how you make the jump from driving drunk to having your firearms taken away? Now yes if you commit a crime in another state that if committed in Hawaii you would have lost your rights to own guns then you can bet they will pull your firearms! Again the RAP back program is used for many reason its not just a gun bill! I understand we have to be very careful and very wary of new gun bills but what we can't do is just hold up signs every time a bill comes hits the floor... just because we think its a slippery slope! Their putting freakin Liberians on the RAP back program seems to me it would be kinda foolish to take a stand on a bill that seems at least face value to be a good bill! As for the PII no matter the assurance you know what can happened. Hell I work for the US Dept. of State and if they can't keep our PII safe you can bet local gov't organizations def can't lol!

At the end of the day no matter how you feel about the bill at least we are talking about them and are informed! Thats all i ask .....life gets busy and yes i need someone to hold my hand and send me alerts when firearms bills are being voted on! I know i should be proactive and check all the time but thats life and thats why we have a HRA and the other numerous great things they do!  They are doing a very good job! All i ask is that they keep their eye on the one of the most important reason for being an organization and let their members know how they feel about said bills and what should be done!  :shaka:
Respectfully,
J. Doherty
USMC
RookCustoms

RookWorx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Dick energy with that Buck Rodgers Swag!
    • View Profile
    • RookCustoms
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 11:33:47 PM »
Just posted about 5 hrs ago by Hawaii CCW on FB!

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2016/bills/sb2956_.htm
Respectfully,
J. Doherty
USMC
RookCustoms

Jl808

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 01:12:39 AM »
Thanks RookWorx. +1 on your comments above.

Jl808

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »
Spreadsheet updated as of 2/11/2016 4:45pm. 

A big thank you to the HRA and Dr. Max Cooper for reviewing and clarifying / providing a position on the various bills!

Link to spreadsheet -> https://goo.gl/1kZGOI

Major updates as of this afternoon.  Nothing good for us.

• SB2647 (Fines for Sale of Ivory) passed with amendments by JDL committee
  • SB2954 (Firearm database, Hawaii Criminal JDC) passed with amendments by PSM committee
  • SB2956 (Mental illness; Firearms surrender) passed unamended by PSM committee
  • SB2950 (Rapback System) passed unamended by PSM committee
  • HB2629 (Rapback System) passed with amendments by PBS committee
  • HB2632 (Mental Illness, Firearm seizure) decision making on Friday 2/12/2016 11:30am in conference room 329.

Guys, this year is not time to sit back.

ren

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
So why are a group of people who already have gone through a thorough background check against federal and local databases, medical check for mental illness being related to a criminal database? We shouldnt be in the HCJ Db to begin with or vice versa.
Deeds Not Words

edster48

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
So why are a group of people who already have gone through a thorough background check against federal and local databases, medical check for mental illness being related to a criminal database? We shouldnt be in the HCJ Db to begin with or vice versa.

Exactly.

They purposely write these bills as broadly as possible to allow the greatest amount of latitude in how it can be "interpreted" in court. Maybe some here are right, they won't just list us in the database next to rapists and pedophiles, but how long do you think it will be before we are, and they are saying "It's just easier and more efficient that way, as long as you haven't DONE anything you have nothing to worry about."? This is just a variation on the old "Do it for the children" theme.

Jl808 is right. this isn't a time for us to be squabbling amongst ourselves. As I and many others have said before, were we all to vote as one, we would be one of the largest voting blocs in the state. A power to be reckoned with.

At this point I say better safe than sorry when it comes to ANY bills concerning our rights. If there is the slightest question regarding legislation, it should be opposed. These bills accomplish NOTHING in regards to keeping citizens safe or the apprehension of criminals. The states can't even manage to consistently report information on criminals to the NICS database, or for that matter arrest and prosecute felons that attempt to violate the law and purchase firearms when they are caught in the NICS system. What good will having our information accomplish?
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.