Senior Associate Justice Scalia dead (Read 9115 times)

Aegis808

Senior Associate Justice Scalia dead
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Major legal implications for the next president are coming to light sooner than expected with the passing of Scalia.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

punaperson

Re: Senior Associate Justice Scalia dead
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
A devastating blow to our Second Amendment rights. Even if the Senate does not confirm an Obama nominee, all the pending cases have no chance at all without Scalia's vote. I wish Thomas would lose some weight as he doesn't seem far behind Scalia on the longevity scale. We may never see another justice so adamant about our Second Amendment rights (and he didn't go nearly far enough ("longstanding prohibitions", "commonly used", etc.). A big loss.

robtmc

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Let's hope Congress runs out the clock to prevent Obola stacking the court with another disaster like the two dykes.

Otherwise, this country is well and truly forked.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
A devastating blow to our Second Amendment rights. Even if the Senate does not confirm an Obama nominee, all the pending cases have no chance at all without Scalia's vote. I wish Thomas would lose some weight as he doesn't seem far behind Scalia on the longevity scale. We may never see another justice so adamant about our Second Amendment rights (and he didn't go nearly far enough ("longstanding prohibitions", "commonly used", etc.). A big loss.

we r screwed

edster48

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Let's hope Congress runs out the clock to prevent Obola stacking the court with another disaster like the two dykes.

Otherwise, this country is well and truly forked.

Our much touted Republican majority better get their act together and keep that seat open until Obama is gone. Just pray that Trump or Cruz get elected.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »
Obama is behind this I guarantee it!

Liberals will do anything to advance their warped agenda!
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

SOLEsource684

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »
The timeline seems more than a coincidence. Last year gun agenda, and all the 2A court cases. If peruta goes to SOCTUS it will go there to die and all the momentum with it.  :(

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Well, the GOP and some others are already saying the replacement for Scalia should be done by the next president and they will oppose anyone selected by Obama.  Of course Obama would like nothing more than to appoint someone that will help him in his quest to circumvent our existing laws.  Saw a list of his 10 possible replacements and Kamala Harris was one of them.  You can kiss gun rights goodbye if she ever got confirmed.

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
We may be seeing the end to 2A and all the rest if that happens.  This is why it is VERY IMPORTANT you register and VOTE for ONLY 2A candidates. This point is the point where we could very well lose our rights!

bass monkey

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
We better make sure hillary doesn't win presidency and nominates obama. That would be a disaster and he would love nothing more than to kill and gut the 2nd amendment

Q

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
We better make sure hillary doesn't win presidency and nominates obama. That would be a disaster and he would love nothing more than to kill and gut the 2nd amendment

Or that would be the day when the south rises again for round 2...just saying.  :crazy:

mrgaf

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
Or that would be the day when the south rises again for round 2...just saying.  :crazy:

Was shot at for a year in 'Nam and took one for the team. I'm ready, willing and more than able to do whatever it takes.... lock and load!  :thumbsup: :geekdanc:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

mrgaf

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
The timeline seems more than a coincidence. Last year gun agenda, and all the 2A court cases. If peruta goes to SOCTUS it will go there to die and all the momentum with it.  :(

was thinking the same thing. A lot of suspicious things have happened during Oturdface's presidency. In this day and age there are things that can be used to hide the real reason for death. At least it happened in Texas. Hopefully the Coroner who will do the autopsy is good and an honest person but something tells me Opencilpecker will see to it that the government gets who they want to do the autopsy.... we'll never know the truth.....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

edster48

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
We may be seeing the end to 2A and all the rest if that happens.  This is why it is VERY IMPORTANT you register and VOTE for ONLY 2A candidates. This point is the point where we could very well lose our rights!

True. I just hope that things haven't gone too far to recover. As speedy points out, they will do anything to promote their agenda, including eating their own. The DNC shorted Sanders on delegates after he buried Killary in New Hampshire. The fact a candidate is facing possible indictment would disqualify any candidate, why not her? How far will they go to win the presidency for her? I don't think there's a limit.

Not as far fetched as one might think. Say Sanders or Killary get elected, you know they'll be coming for our guns. Will you just give them up? Will you stand and fight? While that's a question all of us will have to answer when the time comes, the reality of the choice that faces us is steadily creeping closer. I would say the first serious resistance actually would be in the south. Civil war could become a reality in our lifetime.

The death of a single person, or the election of another, world wars have started over the same.

Something to think about.

Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »

When there is a tie, the lower court ruling is left. So if a gun case had been decided in the favor of gun rights by a lower court and it goes up to the supreme court and gets a 4 to 4 ruling then the lower court pro gun ruling stands.

Aren't there a few cases that had a pro gun decision that were heading to the supreme court?

The thing I don't know is whether the lower court ruling that stands then becomes president for the whole country or it just stands for the area it was an issue in.

Heavies

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »
When there is a tie, the lower court ruling is left. So if a gun case had been decided in the favor of gun rights by a lower court and it goes up to the supreme court and gets a 4 to 4 ruling then the lower court pro gun ruling stands.

Aren't there a few cases that had a pro gun decision that were heading to the supreme court?

The thing I don't know is whether the lower court ruling that stands then becomes president for the whole country or it just stands for the area it was an issue in.

A lower court only effects the circuit that it is ruled, and then it could also rule that law stands until all appeals have been decided.  When the SCOTUS rules it become precedent for the whole country, as there are no more courts to bring an appeal.  That is the large power of the SCOTUS and the reason that it is very important  we elect officials that will appoint the right people who will judge cases per the constitution, and not an agenda. 

Garuda

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »
Always have a plan B.  Those words are ringing more and more true, and much quicker than I had anticipated.

Garuda

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »
A lower court only effects the circuit that it is ruled, and then it could also rule that law stands until all appeals have been decided.  When the SCOTUS rules it become precedent for the whole country, as there are no more courts to bring an appeal.  That is the large power of the SCOTUS and the reason that it is very important  we elect officials that will appoint the right people who will judge cases per the constitution, and not an agenda.

Scary how quickly things can change.  This election just became even more important. Still don't have faith in anyone left to make the right call though. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:59:15 AM by Garuda »

PeaShooter

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
2A and also other major civil rights are now screwed. The only way to restore them might be to have another civil war.

RSN172

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »
I honestly believe anarchy will be the result of any government attempt to confiscate our guns.  Maybe not in Hawaii, but certainly in many parts of the CONUS.  Think of all the militants in Michigan and the states around there.  The deep South is another area.  If you were LEO ordered to go confiscate guns, would you want to go walking in hill billy country in Tennessee and Kentucky etc trying to take guns? 

I live in the Puna District of the Big Island and there are a lot of areas here that cops won't go alone and I don't fault them.  Too many armed crazies around but nothing even close to what one would encounter in some areas of the mainland .