Flying with firearms (Hawaiian) (Read 5422 times)

HeliosRX8

Re: Flying with firearms (Hawaiian)
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Sig p365 case. It’s about 10”x7.5”x2.5”.  I would be worried the airlines would lose such a small case.  So far I’m looking at the pelican vault v200.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
Sig p365 case. It’s about 10”x7.5”x2.5”.  I would be worried the airlines would lose such a small case.  So far I’m looking at the pelican vault v200.

The case will go inside your checked luggage, assuming you aren't traveling with only carry-on bags.

I had a large bag with my pistol delayed more than 12 hours after I was put on another connecting flight than scheduled, but the luggage didn't make the switch.

They can lose luggage no matter how big or small.   :crazy:

One way to test the case:  lock it, and see if you can use a tool to pry the case open from the sides.  If it opens enough to allow the pistol to pass through, better get  a more rigid case.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »
The HA agent in Phoenix didn't allow ammo.in the same suitcase as the firearm.   I didn't have that problem in LAS and HNL. But now I just separate it to avoid any hassle and the need to repack. I have Pualani Gold so I get 2 free bags.

HeliosRX8

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
Right on, thanks for the replies.  How was the pick up at destination? Was the separate case just thrown on the conveyor or did you have to go to a special counter to retrieve the pistol case?

RSN172

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 07:37:32 AM »
Put the non TSA locked pistol case inside a suitcase with TSA locks.  It will come out with all the other baggage.

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 08:03:19 AM »
Right on, thanks for the replies.  How was the pick up at destination? Was the separate case just thrown on the conveyor or did you have to go to a special counter to retrieve the pistol case?
My experience has been it depends on the destination and carrier.  I've had both pickup with an agent or on the conveyor on Hawaiian, United, and Delta, particularly inconsistent at HNL. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 08:34:22 AM »
My experience has been it depends on the destination and carrier.  I've had both pickup with an agent or on the conveyor on Hawaiian, United, and Delta, particularly inconsistent at HNL.

I've only flown HA and never had anyone check to make sure that it was my bag.  Nor was the bag in a separate area.What I also do while at the converyer belt is open my luggage and check to see if the case is still in there and the locks are still on.  This way if something is missing, they have it on camera that I didn't leave the conveyer belt.  I do not take the pistol case out of my luggage while doing this.  So when I pack it inside the suitcase, I make sure it's at the top so I don't have to fully open the bag and dig thru a pile of clothes.  Plus this helps when checking the firearm with the airline.

aklovr

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
So many problems with Hawaiian coming back from mainland, I have written them off after flying 20 plus years with them. Southwest does allow 2 free checked bags and they were helpful getting me my guns and ammo to my destination.

HeliosRX8

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
Does anyone use cable locks thru the mag well and thru the slide ejection port for pistols even in a locked hard case?

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »
Does anyone use cable locks thru the mag well and thru the slide ejection port for pistols even in a locked hard case?
Nope.  I've never used those locks that came with handguns.  That said, if anyone wants some, I'm pretty sure I have a bunch (if I haven't given them away already). 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »

Can't speak for "anyone else", but I never use the cable locks that come with firearms.

Not sure there's any rationale for adding a lock to a gun inside a locked case.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:15:39 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

HeliosRX8

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
Right on thanks guys!

Direjackalope

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 11:59:00 PM »

Rapists love trigger locks.