Ammo on airline routine? (Read 2684 times)

robtmc

Ammo on airline routine?
« on: January 11, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
May be taking some ammo to a new house on the mainland.  11 pounds maximum, in hard or original containers as I recall.

Do they open your checked bags and weigh it and check for packaging?  Do you announce it at bag check-in?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Ammo on airline routine?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Declare it when you check in, just like you would a firearm. 

If you explain it's in a container that separates each round from one another, that should be sufficient. 

i've never had them weigh or inspect ammo.  However, you should expect the unexpected. 

If you followed all the rules, you'll be fine. 

No sense in worrying about things that may never happen.  That's CMO's job!     :tinfoil:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Direjackalope

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
I’ve been traveling with ammo for years and nobody has ever checked it. Mostly on Alaska.

robtmc

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
I’ve been traveling with ammo for years and nobody has ever checked it. Mostly on Alaska.
Will probably take American or Hawaiian, who ever goes nonstop to Phoenix from Kona.  Anything to avoid landing in Calif.

Partly, was wondering how they knew you had 11 pound or less, and not 22 or less.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
Out of maybe 50 flights with various airlines, I've had my ammo visually checked about 25% of the time, and weighed twice.

Declare at checkin.

They may or may not physically inspect your guns and ammo.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
They weight mines all the time. Even had 1 HP round missing from box 50.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
Never had ammo weighed or inspected. Had a few gate agents who asked to confirm unloaded. Most just told me to sign tag and out in case. This was on United, Delta and Hawaiian.

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »
Never had ammo weighed or inspected. Had a few gate agents who asked to confirm unloaded. Most just told me to sign tag and out in case. This was on United, Delta and Hawaiian.
"a few gate agents"
Baggage check in or entering the flight at the gate?  Ammo would be long checked in by the gate i would think.

mill8316

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 07:24:53 PM »
Alaska airlines allows 50 lbs of ammo in checked luggage.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 07:36:00 PM »
"a few gate agents"
Baggage check in or entering the flight at the gate?  Ammo would be long checked in by the gate i would think.
When checking in. . .

sa594

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »
I would also print out the airlines policy regarding traveling with ammunition. I've had agents question my luggage until I showed them their policy and  having another agent come and verify it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:41 AM »
I would also print out the airlines policy regarding traveling with ammunition. I've had agents question my luggage until I showed them their policy and  having another agent come and verify it.

^^^ This and have the airlines web page section book marked on your phone.  I never had any issues, but I know others who did and showing them their own rules got them thru. 

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Echo the practice of printing out the TSA and airline policy and instructions.  I've had many airline agents (*cough* United in Hawaii * couch*) tell me incorrect information.  One insisted that the gun case needed to be TSA locks. . . had to pull a Karen and see her supervisor. . .  ;D

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »
Echo the practice of printing out the TSA and airline policy and instructions.  I've had many airline agents (*cough* United in Hawaii * couch*) tell me incorrect information.  One insisted that the gun case needed to be TSA locks. . . had to pull a Karen and see her supervisor. . .  ;D

Never argue with a low level employee who's in a position to cause you problems.  Just politely ask if you can speak to their supervisor.  Arguing just raises your blood pressure and can cause you to appear angry -- something that can cause them to get security or TSA involved.

If the counter agent isn't listening to your explanation, find someone with more authority to speak with.  The higher up you go, the more likely you'll win the argument, and the more likely ALL employees for that airline will be given "refresher training" on that subject.   :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 05:35:07 PM »
^^^ This and have the airlines web page section book marked on your phone. 
That will involve the wife as I do not do smartphones.

She is going to be a "mule" anyway for 10-11#, so that will work.  If I go by myself, will have to rely on printed stuff.

Guru

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
To lazy to read every comment on thread but ALASKA AIRLINES is the way to go! They grand 40 pounds... don't even weigh it. I bring over .22 and 556 green tips monthly.

jfrasher

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 10:27:33 PM »
I travelled with ammo and no one has check or inspect me !

Wchiro

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »
I travelled with ammo and no one has check or inspect me !

Just wondering...did you declare it?