So I'm starting to hate Lowe's (Read 2015 times)

TastesLikeMetal

So I'm starting to hate Lowe's
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
Was driving by last night(Sat) and remembered I need a Utility Knife so I can more effectively break shit at my place.  The website said 10pm so that gave me an hour, get there at 9 and the front door is blocked.  I make it into the other door and grab the knife as an employee says "We're closing soon".  I mention the site says 10pm and he says "Well it's wrong".  Every time I go there the employees seem so disgruntled, doesn't seem like that at Home Depot.  I like a few brands there so I still go but only if I absolutely have to.  Anyone else see this or do they just hate me...

Flapp_Jackson

Re: So I'm starting to hate Lowe's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
Was driving by last night(Sat) and remembered I need a Utility Knife so I can more effectively break shit at my place.  The website said 10pm so that gave me an hour, get there at 9 and the front door is blocked.  I make it into the other door and grab the knife as an employee says "We're closing soon".  I mention the site says 10pm and he says "Well it's wrong".  Every time I go there the employees seem so disgruntled, doesn't seem like that at Home Depot.  I like a few brands there so I still go but only if I absolutely have to.  Anyone else see this or do they just hate me...

Which location?
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
Iwilei

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
Iwilei

I assumed so.  The one at Waikele seems to be better.  I did have to wait a really long time to get someone to cut a piece of 1/4" plywood, which the saw royally chewed up -- not just tear-out, but splintered!  Not the employees' fault, but the long wait for someone to assist me when the store wasn't close to crowded was.  Apparently that was a new saw.  Hopefully they reported the crappy results of my cut to management.

Otherwise, every time I've needed assistance, they've been very helpful.  Sometimes I have to seek out someone in the tool section, but that only takes a minute.

YMMV
-- Melvin Udall

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
During the recent shutdown I tried to use their Curbside pickup, both times I had to go in because nobody answered the phone when I tried calling :crazy:  That said the Depot's works great and I still use it :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
During the recent shutdown I tried to use their Curbside pickup, both times I had to go in because nobody answered the phone when I tried calling :crazy:  That said the Depot's works great and I still use it :thumbsup:

Sounds like it might be just you.  They have you in their caller ID.   :geekdanc: :rofl: :popcorn:
-- Melvin Udall

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 10:53:23 AM »
Sounds like it might be just you.  They have you in their caller ID.   :geekdanc: :rofl: :popcorn:
Yup, I;m on their "Fuck that guy" list...

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »
The Kona Lowes is pretty good.  They carry some items that HD does not.  One thing is Lowes always has refrigerators in stock.  Maybe not the one you want, but they at least have some. Try to get any refrigerator from HD, Hilo or Kona and you have to order and wait 2 to 3 weeks.

hvybarrels

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
I have had mixed results with Iwilei Lowes and the experience is not reflected in the other stores. Ordered a large job box and they smashed it up when it got delivered so I called the manager and got half off the price which was cool, but it did require some hammering and welding. Also I had an issue with a special order nail gun that did not come with a second battery as advertised, and one of the associates accused me of running a scam, but luckily there was this one mahu at the customer service counter who I am always respectful to and while she is not the friendliest she is always professional. I do not usually get building materials from there unless HD is sold out. Usually they are more expensive across the board.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
I have had mixed results with Iwilei Lowes and the experience is not reflected in the other stores. Ordered a large job box and they smashed it up when it got delivered so I called the manager and got half off the price which was cool, but it did require some hammering and welding. Also I had an issue with a special order nail gun that did not come with a second battery as advertised, and one of the associates accused me of running a scam, but luckily there was this one mahu at the customer service counter who I am always respectful to and while she is not the friendliest she is always professional. I do not usually get building materials from there unless HD is sold out. Usually they are more expensive across the board.
Yeah I guess that's it, I pretty much get what I need but it isn't as seamless or pleasant as I'd like...

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that had bad experiences at Lowes.   Sometimes Lowes would have stuff no other place seem to have but that was more when I was actively working.

I'll go to HD before I'll go to Lowes nowadays.

And City Mill is my go to place now.  They have 99% of the stuff I need which is not much or as elaborate as when I was working.  Plus minutes from my house.

Yeah, I hated Lowes long time now, lol!
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 01:27:03 PM »
City Mill has the worst quality lumber. I never bought lumber from there.

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 01:46:08 PM »
My place was built in the 70's so I go to City Mill when things break and I need a direct replacement, plus I like buying local if possible.

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
My place was built in the 70's so I go to City Mill when things break and I need a direct replacement, plus I like buying local if possible.
If you live on Oahu, want good quality lumber and want to buy local, go to Hardware Hawaii.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »

Lowes is easier to get into and less crowded but it is so hard to find staff to answer your questions. Home depot has more people to help but also they are so much more crowded.

But I always prefer other hardware stores, they have staff that actually know what they are talking about. Lowes and HD employees so often don't even know what I am talking about when I am looking for something.