I want to shoot my firearms..... (Read 1927 times)

QUIETShooter

I want to shoot my firearms.....
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:41:35 AM »
But the cost of ammo is quite prohibiting.  Plus I'm always thinking if when the time comes to replenish my stash, will any of it be available (because of that strange old man occupying the POTUS seat.)

Curious to know if you guys think the same thing.  Or not.  Comments?

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

Re: I want to shoot my firearms.....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:46:44 AM »
What do you want to shoot?  I have thousands of rounds of 9MM, .223 and 22LR that I might be willing to sell for a very high price.  LOL.

6716J

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 07:41:30 AM »
While not quite the same, get airsoft stuff. You can find airsoft almost identical to the real deal. The guns can be expensive ($200+ for good ones), but ammo is cheap. About $10 to $15 for 5000 6mm BBs. Get gas blow back pistols and AEG rifles.

And if you're lucky, you can shoot in your yard if its big enough. Or set up in the garage or house (if the wife will let you).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »
What calibers you want to shoot?
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 07:52:16 AM »
I think the cost has affected a lot of people.
The range is less crowded for sure.
What, Me Worry?

aletheuo137

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 08:26:58 AM »
I haven't tried it but Dan Bongino promotes ITarget. I have bb pistol and rifle to practice fundamentals. Started to reload stuff too. But pretty much the same sentiment!
Here is the link if interested:
https://www.itargetpro.com/
Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:35:38 AM by aletheuo137 »

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
But the cost of ammo is quite prohibiting.  Plus I'm always thinking if when the time comes to replenish my stash, will any of it be available (because of that strange old man occupying the POTUS seat.)

Curious to know if you guys think the same thing.  Or not.  Comments?
One of the reasons I finally got into reloading/handloading.  Started with .308 and have most of the stuff in place for 9 mm.  I haven't been shooting 9 nearly as much as I had prior to COVID, but a big part of that was due to no range and no classes being offered during the shutdown. 

The ammo supply thing comes in waves, but yeah, this one was a mega tsunami. 

Now that the action bays are opening back up, I am slammed with work.  But once that clears, I think I will be more "careful" on ammo supply. 

stangzilla

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »
I've been stockpiling ammo and reloading stuff for a while.  and a good amount of 22LR
I go to kokohead about every other weekend, but limit myself to shooting 50 rounds centerfire, 100 rounds 22.  although i'm going regularly, it does affect the amount i shoot
I'm reloading just about every week now. before was maybe once a month.  i'm shooting my revolvers with mostly all reloads now
i also got a 22 conversion for my AR.  so can save the centerfire ammo

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I don't have 20K rounds like I know some people do.  But what I have would have to be replaced at some point.  And the cost to replace right now is way higher than normal.

So with that being said,since the bays were closed, that really helped save ammo.  No mag dumps or skill builder/competitions, etc...

But bays are opening tomorrow, so when we do go to shoot, there has to be a plan on what to work on or practice to maintain skills.  Not just blast away to blast away.  What I do since buying a case of something is a huge cost up front, I try and buy a little here and a little there.  This way it doesn't seem to hit the wallet as hard.  I just went to Bushido Arms and picked up 100rds of 9mm.  He seems to have a stock daily that he post on social media.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:15:31 AM »
What do you want to shoot?  I have thousands of rounds of 9MM, .223 and 22LR that I might be willing to sell for a very high price.  LOL.

LOL!  Thanks but I'll wait a while...... ;D

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:23:02 AM »
What calibers you want to shoot?

.44 mag and specials, 223/556, and .22 LR.  Wasn't looking for any handouts or deals, just wanted to shoot the breeze with you guys and see what you guys think about the ammo shortage and high prices.

Will it go down?  Will the retard sitting in the POTUS seat make ammo prices unreachable for the average joe?

That kind of shit. ;D

I think the cost has affected a lot of people.
The range is less crowded for sure.

Yeah, almost everyone has a firearm in 223/556 and at close to or over a dollar a round, that must impact lots of people.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:29 AM »
One of the reasons I finally got into reloading/handloading.  Started with .308 and have most of the stuff in place for 9 mm.  I haven't been shooting 9 nearly as much as I had prior to COVID, but a big part of that was due to no range and no classes being offered during the shutdown. 

The ammo supply thing comes in waves, but yeah, this one was a mega tsunami. 

Now that the action bays are opening back up, I am slammed with work.  But once that clears, I think I will be more "careful" on ammo supply.

Funny how things work out that way.  When you wanna do things, it's closed and when it opens up, gotta work!

I just retired going on 2 years now and when I retired I was excited to start shooting again.  Shooting was on the backburner since work was priority.  But then covid hit, ammo prices went high, and we have a strange old man who is playing president right now. :crazy:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
I've been stockpiling ammo and reloading stuff for a while.  and a good amount of 22LR
I go to kokohead about every other weekend, but limit myself to shooting 50 rounds centerfire, 100 rounds 22.  although i'm going regularly, it does affect the amount i shoot
I'm reloading just about every week now. before was maybe once a month.  i'm shooting my revolvers with mostly all reloads now
i also got a 22 conversion for my AR.  so can save the centerfire ammo

Yep, you were on the right track about stockpiling prior to the conditions we are experiencing now.

I haven't pulled the trigger as far as reloading, wish I did earlier because it seems supplies for reloading is getting difficult too.  I still haven't dismissed this option.  Maybe I'll get into it, depending how that old man in the POTUS seat messes with 2a rights.

I used to average shooting 100 rounds of centerfire also when visiting the range.  I used to think nothing of it as far as cost.  Now, different story.

I think the biggest thing for me right now is if ammo will be difficult or extremely expensive in the future.  It kinds of kills my fight to go shoot at the range because of this uncertainty.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I don't have 20K rounds like I know some people do.  But what I have would have to be replaced at some point.  And the cost to replace right now is way higher than normal.

So with that being said,since the bays were closed, that really helped save ammo.  No mag dumps or skill builder/competitions, etc...

But bays are opening tomorrow, so when we do go to shoot, there has to be a plan on what to work on or practice to maintain skills.  Not just blast away to blast away.  What I do since buying a case of something is a huge cost up front, I try and buy a little here and a little there.  This way it doesn't seem to hit the wallet as hard.  I just went to Bushido Arms and picked up 100rds of 9mm.  He seems to have a stock daily that he post on social media.

It's a huge bummer if one can't blast away just for the shits and giggles and not worry about how hard it hits you in the pocketbook.  That's part of the fun of shooting. ;D

On the last shipment of Kaleo Arms I bought from them 300 rounds of 5.56.  That brought my stash of 556 back to 1000 rounds.  I normally wouldn't hesitate to go to the range and blast away knowing I can replenish the stash at a reasonable cost.  Now I'm a bit reluctant.

I was glad I was able to buy from Kaleo 10 bricks of .22 LR prior to the prices going through the roof.  Now a brick of .22 is a bit more that twice the price I paid back then.

astroboy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
I used to shoot my fire arms at least 3 times per month. Now I just shoot my air guns. I got plenty of reloaded ammo but the uncertain
supply of components and ammo combined with the high cost of both makes my visits to KHSC a rare event.

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 10:43:56 AM »
While not quite the same, get airsoft stuff. You can find airsoft almost identical to the real deal.
Yeah, very realistic.
I use an airsoft for pistol safety training away from the range.
Teenagers use them to terrorize their robbery victims....not a good idea.
What, Me Worry?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
Yeah, very realistic.
I use an airsoft for pistol safety training away from the range.
Teenagers use them to terrorize their robbery victims....not a good idea.

Oh wow.  I can remember.....
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
it kind of sucks too bc i have to sacrifice other things i have to do in order to reload every week.  but you gotta have priorities

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
it kind of sucks too bc i have to sacrifice other things i have to do in order to reload every week.  but you gotta have priorities
Back in the 70s, I spent a whole day loading 44 mag on my co ax press....then spent the next day shooting up the target frame at khsc.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:43:26 AM »
Yep, you were on the right track about stockpiling prior to the conditions we are experiencing now.

I haven't pulled the trigger as far as reloading, wish I did earlier because it seems supplies for reloading is getting difficult too.  I still haven't dismissed this option.  Maybe I'll get into it, depending how that old man in the POTUS seat messes with 2a rights.

I used to average shooting 100 rounds of centerfire also when visiting the range.  I used to think nothing of it as far as cost.  Now, different story.

I think the biggest thing for me right now is if ammo will be difficult or extremely expensive in the future.  It kinds of kills my fight to go shoot at the range because of this uncertainty.
When I first got back into guns after moving home, I would shoot 200-300 in a give range session, and maybe 2-3 times a month.  Then there are training days that 400-600 rifle and/or pistol wasn't uncommon.  Now, I sort of cringe at even the thought of shooting 300 rifle.  Pistol, I'm better off, but rifle ammo supply does concern me.  I mean I have a "decent" amount, but a 500 round range day def puts a dent. . .  :(