I want to shoot my firearms..... (Read 1928 times)

RSN172

Re: I want to shoot my firearms.....
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
LOL!  Thanks but I'll wait a while...... ;D
What? You no lik buy 223 FMJ fo $2 and Federal  22LR fo 10 cents a round?  I no lik sell my Blazers and CCI ammo. You no lik help one kupuna supplement his fixed income?

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
When I first got back into guns after moving home, I would shoot 200-300 in a give range session, and maybe 2-3 times a month.  Then there are training days that 400-600 rifle and/or pistol wasn't uncommon.  Now, I sort of cringe at even the thought of shooting 300 rifle.  Pistol, I'm better off, but rifle ammo supply does concern me.  I mean I have a "decent" amount, but a 500 round range day def puts a dent. . .  :(

That also ups the cost.  So if class is $200 and ammo is $400, that's a $600 class.  Where it used to be a $300 class pre COVID.

Then you have couples so X2 on the cost of everything.

Mrs.CMO is going to CO next week and taking 5 classes.  She plans on shooting about 1200 of 9mm total.  But luckily, she was able to order online and more reasonable prices and have the ammo shipped to the range in CO, whom are holding it for her and all the other attendees.  The luxury of not having to pay hazmat.

Some classes she signed up for are: CCW defense, vehicle pistol defense, and I can't remember the rest.

GlockNewb

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 11:58:25 AM »
I haven't tried it but Dan Bongino promotes ITarget. I have bb pistol and rifle to practice fundamentals. Started to reload stuff too. But pretty much the same sentiment!
Here is the link if interested:
https://www.itargetpro.com/
Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I bought me a laser system around October 2020, Mantis Blackbeard. Highly recommended for lots of AR dryfire trigger time.

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

ren

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
get a Scatt
I can dry and live fire , some times I just go to range to dryfire because I learn so much froma Scatt.

most important things I learned was:
- how long to hold
- best way to approach the target
- position

and assholes who sometimes take a shot at my target because they didn't bring one
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:17:00 PM by ren »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
most important things I learned was:
- how long to hold
- best way to approach the target
- position

and assholes who sometimes take a shot at my target because they didn't bring one

I had people doing that when I brought steel plates for the rifle side. 

Unfortunately, it affected my aim so much, I accidentally ripped a couple of rounds through the leg of their frame!  Oops!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:05:43 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
Surely Not Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting.

stangzilla

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »
this past weekend i saw 2 people on the silly side shooting air rifles

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »
this past weekend i saw 2 people on the silly side shooting air rifles

Perhaps they misunderstood what "Silly" meant?   :rofl:

stangzilla

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 01:31:40 PM »
Perhaps they misunderstood what "Silly" meant?   :rofl:

haha!
at first i thought that they were super quiet 22's, but a closer look and i realized they were airguns
i used to shoot airguns all the time when i was in elementary and middle school.  one of my friends from elementary school that I would shoot with still shoots with me today.  we just graduated up to firearms now
i remember back shooting airguns we had a game called hostage and terrorist.  we would fill empty soda cans with water and place them down range.  Coke would be the terrorist and Hawaiian Sun would be the hostages.  the closer we put them together the harder it was to not shoot the hostages
ahhhh, the good old days......

QUIETShooter

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:47 PM »
What? You no lik buy 223 FMJ fo $2 and Federal  22LR fo 10 cents a round?  I no lik sell my Blazers and CCI ammo. You no lik help one kupuna supplement his fixed income?

I no mind buying from a 2a brother, but umm, I get fixed income too. ;D

Dat 223 FMJ must be one helluva round fo $2?  Or was that $2 for 10 each?  ;)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
haha!
at first i thought that they were super quiet 22's, but a closer look and i realized they were airguns
i used to shoot airguns all the time when i was in elementary and middle school.  one of my friends from elementary school that I would shoot with still shoots with me today.  we just graduated up to firearms now
i remember back shooting airguns we had a game called hostage and terrorist.  we would fill empty soda cans with water and place them down range.  Coke would be the terrorist and Hawaiian Sun would be the hostages.  the closer we put them together the harder it was to not shoot the hostages
ahhhh, the good old days......

I miss my Benjamin airgun. :(  I don't even know what happened to it.  I think it broke and I threw it away.  If it was stolen I would've remembered.

Growing up as a kid in the mid to late 60's in Waialua on the North Shore was as rural as rural could be.  Still sugar cane fields and plantation villages.  We would walk the back cane haul roads and shoot doves or soda cans.

I remember how hard it was to convince my mom to buy a pellet gun.  My very first gun was a BB gun made by Daisy.  The dirt cheapest one.  The plain simple one which costed $6.95 back then.

It might as well have been a million dollars.  It took forever on my newspaper route to buy one.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
I miss my Benjamin airgun. :(  I don't even know what happened to it.  I think it broke and I threw it away.  If it was stolen I would've remembered.

Growing up as a kid in the mid to late 60's in Waialua on the North Shore was as rural as rural could be.  Still sugar cane fields and plantation villages.  We would walk the back cane haul roads and shoot doves or soda cans.

I remember how hard it was to convince my mom to buy a pellet gun.  My very first gun was a BB gun made by Daisy.  The dirt cheapest one.  The plain simple one which costed $6.95 back then.

It might as well have been a million dollars.  It took forever on my newspaper route to buy one.

I have to ask:

Did you shoot your eye out?   :geekdanc:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »
Back in the 70s, I spent a whole day loading 44 mag on my co ax press....then spent the next day shooting up the target frame at khsc.

My rifle just loves to shoot up the target frame.  (I blame the rifle....  :D )

When I come home my wife looks at the target frame and laughs...... :-[

oldfart

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
My rifle just loves to shoot up the target frame.  (I blame the rifle....  :D )

When I come home my wife looks at the target frame and laughs...... :-[
Back then, the pistol range was where the skeet range is today.
The pistol frames were made of rebar so it was harder to hit.
We managed to hit them anyway. 😂
What, Me Worry?

jc2721

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
#1 dry fire
#2 reload
#3 buy what you can, when you can get it

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »
Back then, the pistol range was where the skeet range is today.
The pistol frames were made of rebar so it was harder to hit.
We managed to hit them anyway. 😂

Hopefully the home invaders aren't smart enough to stand directly in front of you .....   :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 04:44:52 PM »
That also ups the cost.  So if class is $200 and ammo is $400, that's a $600 class.  Where it used to be a $300 class pre COVID.

Then you have couples so X2 on the cost of everything.

Mrs.CMO is going to CO next week and taking 5 classes.  She plans on shooting about 1200 of 9mm total.  But luckily, she was able to order online and more reasonable prices and have the ammo shipped to the range in CO, whom are holding it for her and all the other attendees.  The luxury of not having to pay hazmat.

Some classes she signed up for are: CCW defense, vehicle pistol defense, and I can't remember the rest.
Yeah, it definitely all adds up. Especially when adding in travel cost for those of #luckywelivehawaii.  Ammo and class fee isn't even 1/4 of the total cost. 

Nice that Mrs. CMO can travel and have 5 classes.  Tell her to take some athletic tape.  1200 rounds is a good amount of training.  She's gonna be able to shoot circles around you.   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »
But the cost of ammo is quite prohibiting.  Plus I'm always thinking if when the time comes to replenish my stash, will any of it be available (because of that strange old man occupying the POTUS seat.)

Curious to know if you guys think the same thing.  Or not.  Comments?

You should start reloading. It's a good skill to have even if there is no ammo shortage. Especially 44mag bc it's expensive even without the pandemic. You can custom load it however you like. Doesnt have to be a fancy progressive reloading press. I have a Lee single stage and that works for me. Its slow but its consistent, precise

hvybarrels

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • board waxed - powder dry
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 08:06:57 PM »
Really hoping with Remington coming back online that things will improve a bit. Have not been to the range in over a year. Broke in some new parts on my Saiga 12 last time and people were looking at me like I was crazy for wasting so much money, but by the time I left it was cycling smooth. I have not paid attention to what 12ga is going for these days, but I wish I bought more back then when it was "expensive"

QUIETShooter

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »
I have to ask:

Did you shoot your eye out?   :geekdanc:

Lol!  No, luckily I didn't but if you see how I shoot you would think I did.  ;D

QUIETShooter

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 08:44:51 PM »
You should start reloading. It's a good skill to have even if there is no ammo shortage. Especially 44mag bc it's expensive even without the pandemic. You can custom load it however you like. Doesnt have to be a fancy progressive reloading press. I have a Lee single stage and that works for me. Its slow but its consistent, precise

If I can get myself to clean up a corner of the garage so I can set up a re-loading bench area I might just do that.  I certainly have the time now since I'm retired.