Legal Taser/ Stun Gun passing 2022 (Read 15629 times)

kptheplatypus

Legal Taser/ Stun Gun passing 2022
« on: July 25, 2021, 01:18:24 PM »
According to a very reputable source, Hawai’i has passed a bill that allows tasers and stun guns to be legally purchased and owned by residents of Hawai’i starting 1 January 2022. Look it up for yourself but this is a massive win and is a small step in the right direction for we firearm owners. Aloha and best of luck to all
“Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

~ An armed society is a polite society

kptheplatypus

Re: Legal Taser/ Stun Gun passing 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:20:03 PM »
According to a very reputable source, Hawai’i has passed a bill that allows tasers and stun guns to be legally purchased and owned by residents of Hawai’i starting 1 January 2022. Look it up for yourself but this is a massive win and is a small step in the right direction for we firearm owners. Aloha and best of luck to all

Apparently it wasn't technically voted on and passed by everyone including the governor, but he did not take action to veto the bill and it has passed and been enacted into law starting January 2022
“Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

~ An armed society is a polite society

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
The legislature and governor reluctantly created that bill and let it become law because the banning of tasers in another state was recently decided on by the courts to be unconstitutional.  It was only a matter of time before Hawaii's law was overturned, too.

Hawaii government tried to get ahead of being sued to simply strike down the ban by creating a whole new "process" and set of restrictions to discourage buyers. 

They know they needed to pass something to maintain some level of control over the people, but they still hated having to allow tasers in the first place.

It's like watching children throw a tantrum even after it's obvious they will not get their way.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
The legislature and governor reluctantly created that bill and let it become law because the banning of tasers in another state was recently decided on by the courts to be unconstitutional.  It was only a matter of time before Hawaii's law was overturned, too.

Hawaii government tried to get ahead of being sued to simply strike down the ban by creating a whole new "process" and set of restrictions to discourage buyers. 

They know they needed to pass something to maintain some level of control over the people, but they still hated having to allow tasers in the first place.

It's like watching children throw a tantrum even after it's obvious they will not get their way.

hawaii already being sued
bill is in response to the suit...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »
hawaii already being sued
bill is in response to the suit...

Good to know.

I'm "still not wrong", just behind current events.   :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 02:22:19 PM »
Good to know.

I'm "still not wrong", just behind current events.   :geekdanc:

you miswrote "tried to get ahead of" instead of "is"

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »
you miswrote "tried to get ahead of" instead of "is"

That's what I get for Googling ....
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
At the hearings, HPD actually testified due to COVID, they can't handle the registration of all tasers like firearms have to.

But expect the law to be amended and registration added in later by our good buddy forehead boy.

There is also nothing in the bill that prevents you from buying tasers out of state and bringing it back with you.  They messed up on that part.

omnigun

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
The real question is if you can legally carry that "stun gun".   If it constitutes as a deadly weapon.  Which many deadlier "weapons" don't like pocket knives, pepper spray,  sporting equipment.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
The real question is if you can legally carry that "stun gun".   If it constitutes as a deadly weapon.  Which many deadlier "weapons" don't like pocket knives, pepper spray,  sporting equipment.

Why is "stun gun" in quotations?  Are you referring to something else that is not a stun gun?  Or did you have premature ejacquotation?

Can you explain what you mean by " Which many deadlier "weapons" don't like pocket knives, pepper spray,  sporting equipment."

We are working on if a taser/stungun is considered a  dangerous weapon under HRS134-51.  The assistant AG stated in the zoom hearing that it isn't.  But this was verbal and recorded which is available on Youtube.  HIFICO is working on getting something in writing.

A pocket knife could be considered deadly or dangerous, depending on how you use it.  If it's used for other than its intended purpose, then it falls under the HRS134-51.  So if you stab someone with it. Or even bash someone over the head with a stapler, both items intended usage is not to do that.  So then what about tasers? It's intended purpose is to transmit an electric current. So now we fall into the deadly category which means "causes bodily injury".  So that is what is being worked on for clarification.

omnigun

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »
Why is "stun gun" in quotations?  Are you referring to something else that is not a stun gun?  Or did you have premature ejacquotation?

Can you explain what you mean by " Which many deadlier "weapons" don't like pocket knives, pepper spray,  sporting equipment."

We are working on if a taser/stungun is considered a  dangerous weapon under HRS134-51.  The assistant AG stated in the zoom hearing that it isn't.  But this was verbal and recorded which is available on Youtube.  HIFICO is working on getting something in writing.

A pocket knife could be considered deadly or dangerous, depending on how you use it.  If it's used for other than its intended purpose, then it falls under the HRS134-51.  So if you stab someone with it. Or even bash someone over the head with a stapler, both items intended usage is not to do that.  So then what about tasers? It's intended purpose is to transmit an electric current. So now we fall into the deadly category which means "causes bodily injury".  So that is what is being worked on for clarification.

Doesn't have to be a gun, can be taser etc, there are many electrical based weapons.

By deadlier I mean "weapons" capable of more harm than a electric based one.

Nice,  hope they get results. 

Thanks for the clarification.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »
Doesn't have to be a gun, can be taser etc, there are many electrical based weapons.

For the deadlier weapons, see my reply about dangerous and deadly weapons and a brief definition.  The HRS134-51 actually has exemptions listed at the bottom portion for case notes. Like a diving knife is not classified as either, nor are nunchucks or a cane sword. Add to it is "sole purpose is to cause bodily injury" is the correct phrase.  So a taser has no other purpose than to cause bodily injury.  As in you cannot use it per manufacturers description to say staple paper, clean a sink, etc...Compared to a utility knife.  You can use it to cut string, strike a flint to make fire, etc...

To avoid confusion, instead of using "stun gun", you can just use electric gun and not need any quotations.  That way even a cattle prod would fall the category. Which leads me to the next issue with the law as written, the electric gun definition is very vague.  This was already covered in the electric gun post.

omnigun

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »
For the deadlier weapons, see my reply about dangerous and deadly weapons and a brief definition.  The HRS134-51 actually has exemptions listed at the bottom portion for case notes. Like a diving knife is not classified as either, nor are nunchucks or a cane sword. Add to it is "sole purpose is to cause bodily injury" is the correct phrase.  So a taser has no other purpose than to cause bodily injury.  As in you cannot use it per manufacturers description to say staple paper, clean a sink, etc...Compared to a utility knife.  You can use it to cut string, strike a flint to make fire, etc...

To avoid confusion, instead of using "stun gun", you can just use electric gun and not need any quotations.  That way even a cattle prod would fall the category. Which leads me to the next issue with the law as written, the electric gun definition is very vague.  This was already covered in the electric gun post.

Alright thanks.

macsak

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 03:01:24 PM »

why is "weapons" in quotations?

omnigun

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »
why is "weapons" in quotations?

Because I don't consider a electric gun a weapon.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 03:43:57 PM »

Your "view?"  LOL!

That view would be wrong.  Tasers are considered weapons in all 50 states.  They are most often called "Less Lethal Weapons" or "Less Than Lethal Weapons."

In all states, if an officer is being threatened by someone pointing a taser at them, the officer is authorized to use deadly force.

People die regularly from tasering -- most recently that I heard of was in Queens, where officers used the weapon against an ­apparently mentally ill man who menaced them with a sword. George Zapantis, 30, went into cardiac arrest after being tased — and died.

You keep redefining the universe to fit your ignorant "view".  The rest of us will exist in reality.

Not a weapon?  More like, not supported by independent sources.

Feelings (View) > Facts
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
Your "view?"  LOL!

That view would be wrong.  Tasers are considered weapons in all 50 states.  They are most often called "Less Lethal Weapons" or "Less Than Lethal Weapons."

In all states, if an officer is being threatened by someone pointing a taser at them, the officer is authorized to use deadly force.

People die regularly from tasering -- most recently that I heard of was in Queens, where officers used the weapon against an ­apparently mentally ill man who menaced them with a sword. George Zapantis, 30, went into cardiac arrest after being tased — and died.

You keep redefining the universe to fit your ignorant "view".  The rest of us will exist in reality.

Feelings (View) > Facts

it's an omni-centric world...

macsak

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 04:08:25 PM »

so you are imposing your views on us?
forcing us to believe them?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 04:17:02 PM »
I think I have a good chance of maake-die-dead if someone were to taser me.  I have heart problems. :(
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

omnigun

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Your "view?"  LOL!

Feelings (View) > Facts

Everything in this world is/can be a weapon technically.   But I digress.