How Dangerous is Oahu? (Read 1142 times)

DocMercy

How Dangerous is Oahu?
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »

I did some last minute xmas shopping at Lowes, and then headed to one of my gun stores via King Street. As I approached Chinatown, I saw four HPD cruisers and a van (not sure if they were EMT). Chinatown is a dangerous place at night, but in broad daylight (before noon), this is frightening. As the youtube commentator states above, our region is nowhere near as bad as Detroit, Baltimore, or New York City. I've visited all three places, and have a memorial stab wound from NYC. Is Oahu attempting to catch up with the mainland in thievery and violence? How come the mayor is just sitting on his hands and not responding to the new crime wave? Does he realize there were at least two bank robberies in East Honolulu this year? Not Bonnie and Clyde, but  Kalama and Polunu.

oldfart

Re: How Dangerous is Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
Got a text message from my son that somebody tried to steal a car from his workplace in Kalaeloa...around 8am
BOLO a white nissan altima with lic.# WFE911
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »
The rep for this district tried to make schedule 1 narcotics legal 2 years ago (meth,herion, crack, etc...)

He also has the sole discresion of which gun bills get heard or not. So more anti 2a bills than any pro 2a.

Karl Rhodes is the senator.

He thinks its easy for someone to use a 50 cal rifle and hit a target at 1.5 miles away.

Yet no bills for tougher penalties for career criminals.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
The rep for this district tried to make schedule 1 narcotics legal 2 years ago (meth,herion, crack, etc...)

He also has the sole discresion of which gun bills get heard or not. So more anti 2a bills than any pro 2a.

Karl Rhodes is the senator.

He thinks its easy for someone to use a 50 cal rifle and hit a target at 1.5 miles away.

Yet no bills for tougher penalties for career criminals.

Peter Carlisle thinks someone using a 50 to shoot down an airliner as it takes off is a real threat.  That's some serious paranoia right there!
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
Both of those was shit heads should be buried up to their necks in a fire ant hill and doused with honey!  >:D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

DocMercy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
Hawaii is a dangerous place, but only in novels? Yeah, and even in the novels there are the usual cover-ups. Don't wanna upset the tourists.

https://crimereads.com/the-shark-infested-waters-of-hawaiian-detective-fiction/

Between the Charlie Chan novels, and a few spy/espionage fiction and non-fiction books, this is not too exciting a place for crime. Even the real life serial killers are dull. Kestrel's novel, Five Decembers, tries to combine two genres, murder and espionage. It take place around Thanksgiving of 1941, and finishes after the end of WW2. The murderer is a larger than life character, who is both vicious and elusive. Action takes place in many areas of Oahu, and later, in Hong Kong and Japan. Prostitution must have been a big thing in the early 40's, extending even to Tantalus. You could even find Peep Shows in Chinatown. Nowadays, whores have been booted out of Waikiki, so where has it gone? I rarely find articles about the Yakuza or Tongs. Either real murders are hidden by the press and government, or this state is just a bleep-hole of petty crimes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:55:29 AM by DocMercy »

Direjackalope

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
I don't know about dangerous, but I was awakened to a sawsall at 3am on Christmas morning in Mililani from catalytic converter thieves.  By the time I figured out that it was tweekers and not some drunk with a trashed starter it was too late to call the cops.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 01:04:04 PM »
I think murders, assaults, rapes, and other violence happens almost daily here.  Look at the number of sex offenders just in your own neighborhood:

https://sexoffenders.ehawaii.gov/sexoffender/welcome.html

Most of the murders and assaults happen between family, friends and people who know each other.  The random violence seems to be focused in the Waikiki area and involves tourists or bars after midnight.

I still have people tell me they never go to the North Shore after 9:00pm.  The stories of people being beat up and robbed there are never ending.

A homeless man killed a tourist by pushing him into the Ala Wai Canal a few years back.  Mental illness was blamed, but he'd been arrested some 70 times before.

Is Oahu dangerous?  I think it can be, but not any more than any other similarly dense population center, maybe even less depending on time of day and location. 

What I don't see here that i see in other places is a constant law enforcement presence.  In NC, I could not drive more than a couple of miles without seeing a town Cop, a Sheriff or a Highway Patrol car.  It's not that crime was that common, but that a police presence made anyone thinking of doing something wrong have second thoughts.  Hard to get away after a crime if the cops are everywhere you go.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 01:41:17 PM »
I think murders, assaults, rapes, and other violence happens almost daily here.  Look at the number of sex offenders just in your own neighborhood:

https://sexoffenders.ehawaii.gov/sexoffender/welcome.html

Most of the murders and assaults happen between family, friends and people who know each other.  The random violence seems to be focused in the Waikiki area and involves tourists or bars after midnight.

I still have people tell me they never go to the North Shore after 9:00pm.  The stories of people being beat up and robbed there are never ending.

A homeless man killed a tourist by pushing him into the Ala Wai Canal a few years back.  Mental illness was blamed, but he'd been arrested some 70 times before.

Is Oahu dangerous?  I think it can be, but not any more than any other similarly dense population center, maybe even less depending on time of day and location. 

What I don't see here that i see in other places is a constant law enforcement presence.  In NC, I could not drive more than a couple of miles without seeing a town Cop, a Sheriff or a Highway Patrol car.  It's not that crime was that common, but that a police presence made anyone thinking of doing something wrong have second thoughts.  Hard to get away after a crime if the cops are everywhere you go.
I don't live on Oahu,  Thank God!
But I do know this,
everybody there that looks the least bit Law abiding, is un-armed.

Aloha.
 :thumbsup: