Anyone flown with a firearm on Southwest out of KOA lately? (Read 976 times)

robtmc

Anyone flown with a firearm on Southwest out of KOA lately?
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:09:32 AM »
Will be taking a cased rifle and handgun (in same locked case) to the mainland in a couple months on Southwest.  Their ticket counter at KOA was a rather temporary looking thing last summer.

Last time I flew them with ammo in a checked bag out of Kona, they did not seem to know how to deal with it.  Had to find someone that did.  Hoping they have their act together now.

Had to partially unpack (with all those waiting behind us), so they could see we put some just filled out form there with it.   Wondering if I show up with a big Pelican case and declare it if it will cause mass confusion again?  Know about standing around for 15 minutes or so if TSA wants me to open it.

RSN172

Re: Anyone flown with a firearm on Southwest out of KOA lately?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:35:33 AM »
Fly HA. They had some really low fares very recently.

robtmc

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 11:52:35 AM »
Fly HA. They had some really low fares very recently.
We have a couple discount vouchers for SW we needed to use, and I prefer the nonstop to Phoenix.

Connecting flights make me uneasy considering flying with a firearm.   United is woke, and has connections in Calif.  Swore I will not set foot in that state again.  May still have a TRO floating around there.

I had considered just shipping the rifle, but did not want to deal with USPS or the commercial carrier BS.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:44:13 PM »
We have a couple discount vouchers for SW we needed to use, and I prefer the nonstop to Phoenix.

Connecting flights make me uneasy considering flying with a firearm.   United is woke, and has connections in Calif.  Swore I will not set foot in that state again.  May still have a TRO floating around there.

I had considered just shipping the rifle, but did not want to deal with USPS or the commercial carrier BS.

Unfortunately, connections and plane changes are a fact of air travel, but you raise a good point.

I had traveled to Charlotte, NC, several times with my pistol with no problems.  My last trip, however, there was a booking change caused by my connecting flight having been delayed taking off due to weather.  So, United rebooked me on an American Airlines flight.  When I arrived in Charlotte -- no checked bag.  That bag was unable to be rerouted quickly enough to be loaded on my rebooked flight.  It begs the question, "I thought all bags had to have a passenger onboard the same flight -- for security?"

Anyway, I arrived about 1PM, and my bag was delivered to the place I was staying a little after midnight.  Even though I was 4 feet from the carport door working on the computer, the delivery person left my luggage against the door without knocking -- with a firearm inside!!

I guess I was lucky (1) that the pistol arrived close to the same day, and (2) the dog barked as the guy left, alerting me to the bag and not letting it sit outside unsecured all night.

So, yes .... connecting flights introduce a potential situation where you and your luggage/gun can be separated.  Every time I've arrived without my checked bag, it  was due to a change to my connecting flight.  In fact, the very first time I ever flew commercially, I arrived 6 hours ahead of my luggage in Texas after a plane change in Atlanta.  The fewer times you change planes enroute, the better.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:19:42 PM »
It begs the question, "I thought all bags had to have a passenger onboard the same flight -- for security?"

Airlines have their own loopy set of rules. Bags can be sent on any airline as long as you have checked into a flight to that destination. United has sent my checked baggage ahead of my actual flight, and well behind several booked flights. It does not matter if you have first class tickets or the cheapest coach ones.
I used to fly into airports near military bases, and it was surprising how many rifle cases were accessible to any Tom, Dick or Harry in the pickup area. I do not fly Southwest due to its cattle-car approach to business, and the following scary news story.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2021/11/30/southwest-airlines-baggage-handler-sentenced-for-stealing-firearms-from-passengers/

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
When traveling with firearms, "I've been told" that it's best to have a copy of that airlines baggage rules regarding firearms as well as a copy of TSA rules with you to show those working there who are unaware.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

robtmc

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
When traveling with firearms, "I've been told" that it's best to have a copy of that airlines baggage rules regarding firearms as well as a copy of TSA rules with you to show those working there who are unaware.
Printed both out,  Made sure the Southwest part about a second firearm in the case being OK.  Read elsewhwere that SW does not require you to open it at the counter, would be a pain with four padlocks.  Suppose you have to do whatever the ticketing drones want if you expect to get it loaded.  Wife thinks i should have a copy of hawaii registration, but never seen anything about proving they are yours.

Do plan on getting there real early in case of any bullshiite from SW or TSA.

mill8316

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 03:43:47 AM »
It begs the question, "I thought all bags had to have a passenger onboard the same flight -- for security?"

Only international flights require that the passenger must be on board for the bag to fly on that flight. Domestic flights bags can be sent ahead or behind, or even sent on another airline. (Lots of airlines who fly smaller planes like 737 to Hawaii end up having to transfer bags and have them flown on airlines with bigger cargo holds and weight carrying capability, like HAL A330. This happens mostly on really full flights during peak of winter when the jet stream is strongest and flights are at their longest for the west bound legs. So these smaller planes cannot hold all the cargo and the required fuel).