Money Shot Challenge (Read 2601 times)

Bota-CS1

Money Shot Challenge
« on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »

Rules:
5 Shot group at $1 coin @ 100 yards at Koko Head (Mainland and neighbor island forum members can shoot at their own local 50 or 100 yard ranges.  Every other rule still applies.)
Partial hits count
You must be challenged by another forum member before you can participate. (So make friends)
You can challenge 1 forum member to complete the challenge for every partial or full hit you get on your coins.
No Limit to how many times you participate in the challenge once another forum member "challenges" you.
Must post pic for credit.
Must use commercially available "off the shelf ammunition" - hand loads prohibited.

Equipment:
Semi-Auto Rifle (No Bolt Actions)
5.56 or smaller
Any Optic / Any Magnification
Bipod only - if no Bipod, you can use those wooden rests that are provided at the range with a front rest bag.
Trying to keep this low to no cost for those that don't have a lot of equipment, hence the minimal equipment and no custom loads.

Set up
I used clear packing tape on the front in an X pattern on top of the coin, and on the back of the cardboard.  I found the helpful after Coin #2 went flying out the back of the target and into the tall grass after the 2nd hit.

Coin #1
55gr .223 Rem UMC
1/5

I'll challenge DRK100 because I know he can do better than me

Coin #2
62gr 5.56 Green Tip PMC
2/5
This was the coin I thought I hit with the first shot since I didn't see an impact on my paper upon closer inspection.  It was on the 2nd shot I saw it sail out the back of my target land in the grass.  I was lucky enough to find it after since the grass is getting taller.  I'll challenge Dirtylickins and Inspector.

Coin #3
62gr 5.56 Green Tip PMC
2/5
Mrs. Bota did this one with her rifle after she saw what I was up to. >:D

Coin #4
77gr OTM Black Hills
1/5
. Honestly had the highest hopes for this round, but only managed to get 1 partial hit out of 5.  Probably try getting this load down in the future.  I'll challenge Changemyoil since he always likes to tell me how boring the bench side is.

Have fun guys!  :shaka:
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

changemyoil66

Re: Money Shot Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:25 PM »
Isnt it a federal offence to deface $? Bota is a alpha boi.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 09:37:24 PM »
Nice!  I’m down! 

Can I shoot one target with .55 gr UMC (good shooting with that ammo btw) and another will a “better” ammo.  Say some Black Hills or Federal match? 

Now I have to find some $1 coins.   O0

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
Isnt it a federal offence to deface $? Bota is a alpha boi.

Given how some people shoot, that's not going to be a major issue!   :rofl:

Yes, it's illegal to intentionally deface, mutilate and/or destroy money (legal tender), whether paper or coins.

However, context matters.  If you are using the coinage to make money off government currency (selling coin jewelry, etc.), or defacing the money in a way that makes its value higher (restamping a Kennedy half dollar to resemble a dollar), or selling the base metal for its intrinsic value, you might be a felon.

Modern coins have less valuable metals vs. gold and silver, so the value of the metal is less than the face value of the coin.  Prevents people from doing crap like selling pennies to recyclers for the copper.  Face value of the pennies is greater than the copper value.

If you're destroying the coin, that can also be illegal.  Bills and coins must remain intact sufficiently so users can tell what they are.  There is a US Mint program for trading your demolished or bent coins for replacements.  Go to their website if you want to try and do that.

I'd rather put those coins in a homeless man's collection can and use something else for targets, like maybe ....

https://www.americanmint.com/barack-obama-commemorative-coin-us-1701628
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:26:32 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 09:46:55 PM »
Nice!  I’m down! 

Can I shoot one target with .55 gr UMC (good shooting with that ammo btw) and another will a “better” ammo.  Say some Black Hills or Federal match? 

Last time I was at the main post office at HNL. the stamp machines would make change using  those.  So, of you buy a few stamps, post cards, whatever, and you put in a bill that returns more than $1 change, you get a dollar coin for each whole dollar in change.

It's been awhile, but I remember getting a bunch just by getting a book of first class stamps.
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 10:21:43 PM »
Sacrilege! shooting at money!

how about a photocopy of a coin?
Deeds Not Words

dirsh

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:34:00 AM »
How bout plastic poker chips? Coins are valuable these days lol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »
How bout plastic poker chips? Coins are valuable these days lol

Probably only good for one hit.  It'll likely shatter on impact.

I was thinking of metal stamping plates, used for stamping things like inventory numbers attached to keys, dog tags, etc.

They are available in a variety of sizes, shapes, materials and prices.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metal+stamping+blanks&crid=1TJOY3R6RHDAI&sprefix=metal+stamping+blanks%2Caps%2C229&ref=nb_sb_noss
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
sounds like a good idea except the part about destroying money...cuz I stay pake li'dat

it's against my religion
What, Me Worry?

aletheuo137

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »
sounds like a good idea except the part about destroying money...cuz I stay pake li'dat

it's against my religion
But but but... money is the root to all evil!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 01:16:56 PM »
Without evil, there is no such thing as "good".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What, Me Worry?

aletheuo137

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 02:21:28 PM »

randay

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
nah sorry, i only shoot diamond rings.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
But but but... money is the root to all evil!

IIRC, the saying is actually, "For the love of money is the root of all evil."

1 Timothy 6:10
-- Melvin Udall

Bota-CS1

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 03:11:49 PM »

it's against my religion

I thought you were going to scold me about wasting money  :D

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »
Nice!  I’m down! 

Sure - as long as it’s commercially available.  I got mine from the vending machine at work. 

aletheuo137

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »
IIRC, the saying is actually, "For the love of money is the root of all evil."

1 Timothy 6:10
I knew that and you do but

dogman

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 07:48:31 PM »
I have these aluminum pieces if any one wants to pick up in Kalihi. I'll only charge $2 each, that way you won't have to shoot real money.

macsak

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 09:55:39 PM »
I have these aluminum pieces if any one wants to pick up in Kalihi. I'll only charge $2 each, that way you won't have to shoot real money.

heads

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
Wow.....inflation!
What, Me Worry?