Why no ammo by mail to Alaska? (Read 1783 times)

passivekinetic

Why no ammo by mail to Alaska?
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:41:00 PM »
Curious why of all the states Alaska also won’t allow it? Or maybe it’s just a shipping cost issue?

“XXXX does not currently support sales of ammunition to a number of locations, including, but not limited to, the following:
Alaska
California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Washington, D.C
P.O. Boxes; U.S. Territories”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

changemyoil66

Re: Why no ammo by mail to Alaska?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:57:08 PM »
Probably a hazmat thing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mill8316

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »
Because like Hawaii it isn’t connected to the other 48 states. Ammo would have to pass through Canada or boat to stay on ground. Most packages to Alaska and Hawaii go through the air. So you have to do special shipping methods to be sure your package goes on a boat to Hawaii or Alaska. That’s why ammo selling companies won’t sell ammo to people in Hawaii and Alaska because their normal shipping methods UPS and FedEx don’t have ways to ship hazmat using normal methods since they use Airplanes to get packages to HI and Alaska.

passivekinetic

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:57 PM »
Because like Hawaii it isn’t connected to the other 48 states. Ammo would have to pass through Canada or boat to stay on ground. Most packages to Alaska and Hawaii go through the air. So you have to do special shipping methods to be sure your package goes on a boat to Hawaii or Alaska. That’s why ammo selling companies won’t sell ammo to people in Hawaii and Alaska because their normal shipping methods UPS and FedEx don’t have ways to ship hazmat using normal methods since they use Airplanes to get packages to HI and Alaska.
Thanks. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

groveler

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
Not quite true, since you can ship ammo in carry-on baggage.  The mainland sellers just don't want the hassle.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 08:55:30 AM »
Not quite true, since you can ship ammo in carry-on baggage.  The mainland sellers just don't want the hassle.

not in carry on, but in regular luggage...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 11:39:53 AM »
Not quite true, since you can ship ammo in carry-on checked baggage.  The mainland sellers just don't want the hassle.

FIFY.

The OP is talking about shipping ammo, not accompanying it on a trip.

All domestic airlines AKAIK allow ammo in checked bags up to a certain weight limit.  I've seen people posting here that AK airlines allows up to 50 lbs of ammo in your luggage.  Perhaps this topic is the reason they do that?

Maybe Hawaiian Airlines should adopt a similar weight limit to address the same problem?  It might draw more business.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:56:30 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 11:50:21 AM »
not in carry on, but in regular luggage...
Correct!  I meant to write non-carry on baggage.
 :thumbsup:

groveler

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »
FIFY.

The OP is talking about shipping ammo, not accompanying it it on a trip.

All domestic airlines AKAIK allow ammo in checked bags up to a certain weight limit.  I've seen people posting here that AK airlines allows up to 50 lbs of ammo in your luggage.  Perhaps this topic is the reason they do that?

Maybe Hawaiian Airlines should adopt a similar weight limit to address the same problem?  It might draw more business.
Thanks.  It is checked luggage.  IIRC there was a 20 pound limit. but I was flying from Ketchikan to Seattle and it seems
rules change by airport not airlines.  In any event guns and ammo checked in luggage on airplanes gets you a visit to special TSA inspections.
 :love:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 12:14:30 PM »
Thanks.  It is checked luggage.  IIRC there was a 20 pound limit. but I was flying from Ketchikan to Seattle and it seems
rules change by airport not airlines.  In any event guns and ammo checked in luggage on airplanes gets you a visit to special TSA inspections.
 :love:

If you connect to another airline other than Alaska AL, you have to conform to that airline's weight restrictions for ammo,

You can transport it in checked baggage if it's within weight allotments.

Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3300-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition.

Ammunition checklist table
Flight numbers                         Domestic                         International (where permitted)
001-1999                                      50 lbs.                                11 lbs.
2000-2999                                    50 lbs.                                11 lbs.
3300-3499                                    11 lbs.                                 11 lbs.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/special-baggage/transporting-firearms
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aaronc5362

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 02:36:00 PM »
Im not sure id this is true or not, I heard this from a handful of people who did that Alaskan cruise ship thing.

But even by boat you need a passport to go to alaska. So maybe to ship ammo by ground and going through canada, you have to deal with customs. And that's a whole lotta bs. They will almost likely just confiscate it and the seller will have to reimburse the purchaser as well as go through hoops and ladders just to get the ammo back. By the time they pay all legal fees, it prob wont be worth it at all.  Thousands of dollars for a few hundred bucks worth of ammo (depending on how much the person buys)

Hawaii is hazmat. But I'm almost positive if you work for matson etc. Its prob easy. They take care of their own.

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 02:50:57 AM »
Im not sure id this is true or not, I heard this from a handful of people who did that Alaskan cruise ship thing.

But even by boat you need a passport to go to alaska. So maybe to ship ammo by ground and going through canada, you have to deal with customs. And that's a whole lotta bs. They will almost likely just confiscate it and the seller will have to reimburse the purchaser as well as go through hoops and ladders just to get the ammo back. By the time they pay all legal fees, it prob wont be worth it at all.  Thousands of dollars for a few hundred bucks worth of ammo (depending on how much the person buys)

Hawaii is hazmat. But I'm almost positive if you work for matson etc. Its prob easy. They take care of their own.
I was in Alaska on a cruise ship on my honeymoon on 9/11/2001. At that time we had to fly into Washington to board the cruise ship. And we were to be dropped off in Washington at the end of the cruise. Before 9/11 we didn’t need a passport to get in or out of Canada. All that was required was a US state issued ID or a passport. The US government would not allow our cruise ship back into the US. The decision was made to go to a Canadian port and drop us off there. But after 9/11 the US and Canadian governments required a passport to step onto Canadian soil and to cross the border from Canada to the US. As it turns out only 2 people on the cruise ship had passports because they were not from the US or Canada. So what were hundreds of us US citizens to do? Here we were in a Canadian port but Canada would not let us deport the ship because none of us had passports. After numerous stressful hours of negotiations between the cruise line, the US government and the Canadian government they let us deport and they put us on buses. We had to show our ID’s in order to leave the ship and then to get on the bus. They drove us immediately to the US/Washington border. Since there were no longer any International flights out of Canada to the US the cruise line was trying to dump us all off at Sea Tac Airport and then help us get home from there. But the borders were closed to all except those with passports. Which none of us had. After about 8 hours of sitting on the buses at the US border the border agents boarded our buses and took all our state issued ID’s. They came back about an hour later and interviewed all of us and most of us were then allowed to cross the border in the buses and be dropped off at the airport. I don’t know what happened to those that were removed from the buses and didn’t cross the border with the rest of us.

I won’t tell you the rest of the story since it has nothing to do with needing a passport. But 9/11 could be the reason why you need a passport to cruise to Alaska these days.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!