Safest Neighborhoods in Oahu (Read 1211 times)

DocMercy

Safest Neighborhoods in Oahu
« on: January 23, 2022, 07:36:21 AM »
Da wife is tinkin about moving to Waianae. I no see it on this list.

https://www.movoto.com/guide/honolulu-hi/7-safest-neighborhoods-in-honolulu-for-families/

Used to be in da past that Diamond Head was the ting. Twenty million dollar homes with sandy beaches on oceanfront. Oh, da life if I won Mega-Millions lottery. Now, it terrible, like North Shore. My big tip of the day came from a cabbie. He say move to The Pointe, a double gated community in East Honolulu. Who live there so I can bum a pad on way to KHSC?

http://www.bcre.com/the-pointe-at-hawaii-loa-ridge-homes-for-sale.php

RSN172

Re: Safest Neighborhoods in Oahu
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 08:07:24 AM »
That article must be couple years old.  Where you going find one house in HiKai or Manoa for $700k? I lived in Pohakupu, which is kitty corner from Castle Medical, from Jan 1993 to July 2015.
I considered that neighborhood extremely safe.  Lots of people, even women by themselves would go walking at night.  I met a few people who lived in the Coconut Grove area of Kailua who would
drive to my neighborhood to go walking and told me it was because they felt safe there. I know Manoa and HiKai pretty good and I wouldn’t consider those areas as safe as where I used to live.
I had a friend from Mexico City visit in 2014 and he and the wife would go walking at night.  He said he felt very safe and felt a good vibe walking the neighborhood, especially when he saw several women walking by themselves.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »
Of course, if you google the topic, you will get the highest priced properties posted by real estate companies who will make the most money if you buy their listing.
I have lived in a middle-class neighborhood in Waipahu for 35 years. We never had any chronic problems.
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:26:35 AM »
I have lived in a middle-class neighborhood in Waipahu for 35 years. We never had any chronic problems.
You must not live on any of the streets that begin with Pupu.

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 10:57:41 AM »
We lived in a great neighborhood up in Makakilo. And the housing prices were not too bad at that time.

We walked around our neighborhood all the time. We were so far up the hill that the homeless didn’t go up that far.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
You must not live on any of the streets that begin with Pupu.
==========
 :rofl:
Pupus--- not exactly the middle class part of town

What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »
The safest neighborhoods are the ones where you are on good terms with the local gangsters. They can quickly solve issues that the police cannot, and if you are lucky the taxes are not too high.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »
Safe from government intervention?

Ah.  Nomo. :(
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

aieahound

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »
The safest neighborhoods are the ones where you are on good terms with the local gangsters. They can quickly solve issues that the police cannot, and if you are lucky the taxes are not too high.

Good point.
I had a neighbor who it looked like had a game room shut down as they had all kinds of the freestanding video games in their garage when they moved in.
They also had two jet skis in the driveway on a trailer.
Cool people though.
Someone stole the jet skis, kit and kaboodle.
They put the word out and thief dropped it off at the heights heiau park and it all back within a few days.
If we ever needed underworld help we knew who to ask.

Waianae, same thing. Just get in with the neighbors (if they’re cool.)
Like Waipahu. Good areas of Waianae and not as good. Nanakuli pretty cool.