SCOTUS STRIKES DOWN NEW YORK CARRY LAW!!! SO NOW WHAT FOR HAWAII? (Read 15811 times)

changemyoil66

Re: SCOTUS STRIKES DOWN NEW YORK CARRY LAW!!! SO NOW WHAT FOR HAWAII?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
Mrs Barrels remarked that now more people are going to get shot.

Um..yeah...the BAD GUYS for once

She said she's not going out with me if I carry though. We will see how long that lasts. When the food shortages really hit we might not have a choice.

That's a tough one.  IDK what our marriage would be like if Mrs. CMO was like that. Luckily, we hold the same views on the 2a and politics.

hvybarrels

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »
That's a tough one.  IDK what our marriage would be like if Mrs. CMO was like that. Luckily, we hold the same views on the 2a and politics.

God knew that If she was too perfect it would arouse my paranoia, so he made her just right.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:48:42 PM by hvybarrels »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

passivekinetic

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 05:39:23 PM »
Read how the communist media plays word games with this news. But nothing you guys don't already know or haven't read before of course.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/06/23/breaking-news/supreme-court-expands-gun-rights-striking-new-york-limits/
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 05:54:55 PM »
I can see it now. 90 day permits that cost $250.
40 hour state approved training and none exist.
Restricted areas would be all state owned properties.

This is just for starters.  I would be really surprised if even 100 people got carry permits one year from today.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2022, 12:10:06 AM »
Waiting to see what happens with the first guys applying for concealed carry permits. I hope the state and city honor the SCOTUS decision

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 07:18:43 AM »
Waiting to see what happens with the first guys applying for concealed carry permits. I hope the state and city honor the SCOTUS decision
U mean u hope the chief honors the decision as he has the sole discresion to approve or deny apps.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2022, 07:19:49 AM »
Friday we should get a ruling on Young. SCOTUS distributed a conference for Young today.

groveler

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 08:27:57 AM »
Friday we should get a ruling on Young. SCOTUS distributed a conference for Young today.

"SCOTUS distributed a conference for Young today."
What does that mean?

???

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 11:56:04 AM »
"SCOTUS distributed a conference for Young today."
What does that mean?

???

They're working on it in HI.

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2022, 01:13:33 PM »
So here's some food for thought.

1) Current CCW, you need to provide the serial number of the gun u want to carry. This would mean that the CCW permit is gun specific. Compared to NV which is any handgun.  NV used to be gun specific (blue cards), but they did away with that like 8 years ago.  So some people would have to apply for more than 1 CCW permit because what if your main carry gun breaks, you cannot just carry another.  ANd knowing HPD, I doubt they would issue 2 or more CCW permits.

2) What about joint pistols. Since HI law forbids anyone not on the reg from possessing a handgun when the owner isn't with them.  And even though it doesn't state it in the law, HPD says you can only be joint on a reg with your spouse.  So if 1 wants to carry this pistol, will HPD require the spouse to sign off on it?  Or even issue 2 CCW permits for 2 different people with the same gun.

I expect HPD to make up their own rules as they go, despite what's in writing. Refer to the joint reg above or when they tell people who reg just a lower to bring it back once complete.

MassConfusion

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
I expect HPD to make up their own rules as they go, despite what's in writing. Refer to the joint reg above or when they tell people who reg just a lower to bring it back once complete.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

6716J

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 07:46:24 AM »
So here's some food for thought.

1) Current CCW, you need to provide the serial number of the gun u want to carry. This would mean that the CCW permit is gun specific. Compared to NV which is any handgun.  NV used to be gun specific (blue cards), but they did away with that like 8 years ago.  So some people would have to apply for more than 1 CCW permit because what if your main carry gun breaks, you cannot just carry another.  ANd knowing HPD, I doubt they would issue 2 or more CCW permits. Currently there is no statute or law that states it is gun specific. That's another HPD make up rule. I'd ask to see the law or statute mandating it be gun specific. NV used to be gun specific and was in the NV revised statutes as such. Also there are people who haven't purchased a CCW firearm, but still want the permit for when they do. Or they are transient workers (Fed contractors as example) who haven't brought a firearm to Hi to register, but now will. And I still have my Blue Cards for posterity sake

2) What about joint pistols. Since HI law forbids anyone not on the reg from possessing a handgun when the owner isn't with them.  And even though it doesn't state it in the law, HPD says you can only be joint on a reg with your spouse.  So if 1 wants to carry this pistol, will HPD require the spouse to sign off on it?  Or even issue 2 CCW permits for 2 different people with the same gun.

I expect HPD to make up their own rules as they go, despite what's in writing. Refer to the joint reg above or when they tell people who reg just a lower to bring it back once complete. Nothing new there. Like them telling people to weld a magazine in an AR pistol
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »

So the chief said on radio this morning it's not his decision.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »
So the chief said on radio this morning it's not his decision.

Sounds like he's trying to pass the buck to avoid being blamed for the incoming lawsuits.

According to the LAW:

§134-9 Licenses to carry. (a) In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear
injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may
grant a license to an applicant who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one
years or more or to a duly accredited official representative of a foreign nation of the age of
twenty-one years or more to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor concealed on
the person within the county where the license is granted.

So, either he's not educated on the law, or he's tacitly conceding that this part of the law has been ruled unconstitutional now without coming out and saying his role as stated in the statute has been changed.

Also, that last line I quoted shows that the concern others posted here about licenses only being valid in the county of issue is already in the statute, too.  Hopefully that can be overturned as well.  If you get a HAWAII CCW license, you are allowed to carry it in HAWAII, not just one county.  Imagine states with a hundred counties enacting this restriction.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 12:21:55 PM »

Also, that last line I quoted shows that the concern others posted here about licenses only being valid in the county of issue is already in the statute, too.  Hopefully that can be overturned as well.  If you get a HAWAII CCW license, you are allowed to carry it in HAWAII, not just one county.  Imagine states with a hundred counties enacting this restriction.

Baby steps. We first need to get CCW's issued. Or if the chief is waiting for a new law, then we need to make sure we remove that part. NV once was by county. And unlike HI, where the islands are pretty much tell you you're in a diff county (exclude county of Maui which are a a few islands), NV you had to look at the street signs. The font and color of the signs changed when  you crossed into a diff county. This can be very confusing.

Also NV prior to 2016 was handgun specific (blue card). They changed their law to any handgun. I called a few LGS in Vegas and they all said the same. The law changed because it made sense. So no HIFICO like org there getting testimonies or signatures. They're via coconut wireless, which make sense why their recent few gun laws passed.

And prior to them being constitutional open carry, guys would get arrested for open carrying because someone saw their CCW'd gun in their waist band when they reached up to grab something off a shelf and their shirt rose up.

changemyoil66

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 12:32:33 PM »
"Today We had a chance to ask Honolulu Police Chief Logan when he's going to start issuing CCW licenses. His response?
"Were waiting right now for our (our) corperation councils, meeting with the attorney generals office (to) give an understanding what this means to the state of Hawaii. We understand what the ruling is for New York and what the supreme court ruled, so we're taking a look at whats our next step.".... "were waiting on the attorneys, the city, and the state  to tell us what the next step."
Rick Hamada of KHVH radio then asked, "Will the state legislator have any role whatsoever in (err) with this decision and the implementation here at home?"
The Chief responded, "I believe absolutely. there are laws that need to be changed to incorporate this."
So basically, what the Chief is saying is altho the law CURRENTLY says he has discretion with who gets permits, and he can issue them NOW. He's not going to. He's going to willfully ignore the supreme court and deny the people of Hawaii the affirmed constitutional rights.
He wants the law changed; even tho the attorney generals office told the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in 2018 that Hawaii was ready and prepared to issue permits, that the only reason they hadn't is that nobody met the good cause standards set by the police chiefs.
With those standards now ruled unconstitutional, shouldn't they start issuing them? Did the Attorney general LIE to the 9th circuit? Did they commit perjury just to stop us from carrying firearms sooner?"

Check out the audio on the HIFICO FB page.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2022, 12:40:21 PM »
[snip]
With those standards now ruled unconstitutional, shouldn't they start issuing them? Did the Attorney general LIE to the 9th circuit? Did they commit perjury just to stop us from carrying firearms sooner?"

Check out the audio on the HIFICO FB page.

All it really takes is for Ige to issue an executive order for the police department to ignore the "good cause" portion of the application process -- until the leg can fix the law that's on the books.  Not much different than the COVID orders that waived the firearm registration requirement.

That's what the executive branch is SUPPOSED to do.  They are to enforce the law AND uphold the Constitution.  When there's a conflict between the two, he has the power to choose not to enforce a portion of, or the entirety of, a law.

They want to pretend they are stuck between the law on the books and the SCOTUS ruling, and only the state's lawyers can find a way through it.

I think they are hoping the lawyers can find a way AROUND it.  In the meantime, delay, delay, delay ...

It would take a lawsuit to have an injunction issued which forces the state to stop following illegal statutes.
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 09:45:23 PM »
U mean u hope the chief honors the decision as he has the sole discresion to approve or deny apps.

The chief is an agent of the city so yes.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 04:07:07 PM »
And so it's begun.

New York Governor signs new law restricting where gun owners can legally carry.

-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 06:38:04 PM »
The chief is an agent of the city so yes.
Ur hope is gone.