Young vs. Hawaii remanded to 9CA (Read 2438 times)

nathanm14fan

Young vs. Hawaii remanded to 9CA
« on: June 30, 2022, 05:43:08 AM »
Per the USSC's order list. Remanded in light of Bruen. Curious how long the 9CA will sit on this.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/063022zor_5he6.pdf

20-1639 YOUNG, GEORGE K. V. HAWAII, ET AL.

21-1194   DUNCAN, VIRGINIA, ET AL. V. BONTA, ATT'Y GEN. OF CA The petitions for writs of certiorari are granted.  The judgments are vacated, and the cases are remanded to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for further consideration in light of New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn., Inc. v. Bruen, 597 U. S. ___ (2022).

RSN172

Re: Young vs. Hawaii remanded to 9CA
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:42:10 AM »
So what, another 2 years?

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »
And they could give HI time to change the law, which makes the lawsuit moot. Thus if there was any compensation involved (attorney fees)  making it difficult for Alan beck to get paid. They did the same with tasers.  I'm not sure what the compensation is for Young vs. Hawaii.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:33:55 AM by changemyoil66 »

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 07:50:17 AM »
I thought Alan was doing this pro bono and some were supporting his effort with donations.

Anyway, my friend who told me his coworker has been CCing for 13 years, told me after that he knows of 7 guys at his workplace who have been carrying for years.
He works for a large company with over 100 employees. This on the BI in Puna. He was thinking about it and I told him don't do it, just carry your X26. You not going get in prison time trouble that way.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 08:32:49 AM »
I thought Alan was doing this pro bono and some were supporting his effort with donations.

This could be a possibility, IDK.  Let me rephrase.

zippz

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »

Donations were minimal to cover some of the court fees, copying, prep, and travel fees which run into the tens of thousands of dollars alone.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 08:41:35 AM »
Per the USSC's order list. Remanded in light of Bruen. Curious how long the 9CA will sit on this.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/063022zor_5he6.pdf

20-1639 YOUNG, GEORGE K. V. HAWAII, ET AL.

21-1194   DUNCAN, VIRGINIA, ET AL. V. BONTA, ATT'Y GEN. OF CA The petitions for writs of certiorari are granted.  The judgments are vacated, and the cases are remanded to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for further consideration in light of New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn., Inc. v. Bruen, 597 U. S. ___ (2022).

Other 2A cases that got remanded were:
Bianchi v Frosh - MD assault weapons ban.  Hopefully stop the Hawaii legislatures attempts to ban them here.
ANJRPC v Brunk - Like Duncan for NJ's magazine ban.
WV v EPA - Agencies ability to make rules & regulations exceeding those given by Congress's.   Should reign in ATF's power to regulate things like bump stocks and 80%s

Hopefully we can get rid of our 10 round magazines soon.  We have a case Abbott v Connors ready to repeal Hawaii's magazine ban when Duncan v Bonta is concluded.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 08:41:55 AM »
Chief said on the radio this morning, CCW approvals are not his decision.

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
Donations were minimal to cover some of the court fees, copying, prep, and travel fees which run into the tens of thousands of dollars alone.
I realize that. It is unfortunate the state can't be sued for attorney fees and court costs for their blatant disregard of constitutional rights.

zippz

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 08:53:13 AM »
I realize that. It is unfortunate the state can't be sued for attorney fees and court costs for their blatant disregard of constitutional rights.

Since it's a federal civil rights case, he will be awarded attorney fees from the State

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
Since it's a federal civil rights case, he will be awarded attorney fees from the State

Nice, thanks for chimming in.

punaperson

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 09:17:13 AM »
I don't believe your optimism is well-founded.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 10:03:06 AM »
I don't believe your optimism is well-founded.

What we are doing today is for our children and children's children. I just hope I can get a HI CCW before I die of old age. That's how much lack of confidence I have in the state recognizing the 2A right.

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »
What we are doing today is for our children and children's children. I just hope I can get a HI CCW before I die of old age. That's how much lack of confidence I have in the state recognizing the 2A right.
In 8 years I going be 80. That is when I going get my Ainokeaanymo unrestricted CCW permit.

RSN172

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 11:20:58 AM »
In 8 years I going be 80. That is when I going get my Ainokeaanymo unrestricted CCW permit.
Cancel that. Nobody here does anything illegal.
I just no like end up like that world champ boxer from Waipahu who got mugged and beaten to a semi vegetative state when he was old.  He would have wiped the sidewalk with those punks when he was young.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 12:58:16 PM »
Summary disposition for Young. Besides the SCOTUS ruling and stuff (144 pages), the last part:

"“This Court should not delay the relief Mr. Young seeks. Mr. Young has been on appeal in this court since 2012. He is 72 years old. Now that Mr. Young’s rights have been vindicated by the Supreme Court of the United States, this Court should immediately grant this Motion and reverse with instructions to the district court to enjoin Hawaii’s “exceptional case” or “urgency or need” statute and order to the Defendants to issue Mr. Young his permit immediately. He’s waited long enough for relief.
Mr. Young’s constitutional rights have been demonstrated to be violated by Defendants’ actions. How much longer should he have to wait to have his case adjudicated and obtain his relief? This Court should stand up for people like Mr. Young, someone who fought bravely for his county in Vietnam, has led an exemplary life, and seeks to simply exercise his constitutional rights as guaranteed to him by the Constitution of the United States of America.”

RSN172

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
Unfortunately we have pricks who don't give a shit in charge of permits and politicians who feel they can ignore court rulings not in their favor. Those people really need to be arrested and charged with contempt of court.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »
Unfortunately we have pricks who don't give a shit in charge of permits and politicians who feel they can ignore court rulings not in their favor. Those people really need to be arrested and charged with contempt of court.

They're just following their party's leaders ...

Maxine Waters reacts to Dobbs ruling:
'The hell with the Supreme Court. We will defy them'

Whether it's about abortion or guns, this is the attitude they demonstrate and truly feel.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maxine-waters-reacts-dobbs-ruling-hell-supreme-court-we-will-defy-them
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 02:42:04 PM »
They're just following their party's leaders ...

Maxine Waters reacts to Dobbs ruling:
'The hell with the Supreme Court. We will defy them'

Whether it's about abortion or guns, this is the attitude they demonstrate and truly feel.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maxine-waters-reacts-dobbs-ruling-hell-supreme-court-we-will-defy-them

Well... If that's their attitude, we should do the same then. Defy all the truly unconstitutional laws (every firearms law or regulation enacted after 1787). Let's see who comes out on top....
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »
Following the example from the last administration that refused to follow laws.

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha