Arizona CCW (Read 1733 times)

ilikebigbots

Arizona CCW
« on: August 30, 2022, 07:44:16 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to apply for out of state CCW for Arizona. Has anyone used their hunters ed course certificate? I seen that it can be used in their guidelines, but wanted to see if anyone else used it. Maybe my pistol safety course I took to get my pistol license? Thanks!

drck1000

Re: Arizona CCW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:55:00 AM »
I cited NRA Basic Pistol and that was accepted as meeting requirement.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 09:41:33 AM »
From the AZ CCW Application:

4.  All applicants must complete & sign the Firearms Qualifications & Statutory Review Affidavit
(below)

5. You must attach a firearms-safety certificate of completion or document demonstrating firearm
competence. This may include an NRA certificate of completion, a certificate of completion of any
course instructed by a current NRA certified instructor, a certificate or card from a hunter
education or safety course, another state’s permit (if approved by DPS), a governmental police
agency firearms qualification certificate along with a copy of a valid LE identification credential, an
Arizona armed security guard certification of training by a DPS approved instructor, a US
Department of Defense DD-214 or active duty military credentials demonstrating firearms
competence.
https://www.azdps.gov/sites/default/files/media/07202-CCW_Permit_Application_4-5-22_0.pdf

And here's the statute:
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general
public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or
public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the
department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game
and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for
security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement
or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under
honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued
by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement
for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry
a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a
department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03112.htm

You have a plethora of options for satisfying the training requirement.  A copy of your DD-214, for example, if you are former military.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »

ilikebigbots

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 07:40:06 PM »
any time frame for the issuing of the permit?

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 06:47:18 AM »
I would ask who you're applying through.  Pre-pandemic, I think it took about 2 months, maybe 3, after submission of documents. 

robtmc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
Took mine about 90 days.  I used an Arizona group that handled all the paperwork for me and hand submitted it.

ilikebigbots

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 04:31:00 PM »
Took mine about 90 days.  I used an Arizona group that handled all the paperwork for me and hand submitted it.

I mailed straight to the DPS with all of my documents. Hopefully everything goes smooth.

robtmc

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 08:18:20 AM »
I mailed straight to the DPS with all of my documents. Hopefully everything goes smooth.
Did you pay $60 fee with a money order?  I was told to track when they cash it as a sign they are in the process.

Shortly after, you can call and ask for a progress report.

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 01:22:58 PM »
I got my original AZ permit in 35 days in 2015. The renewal in 2020 only took 22 days.

robtmc

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 07:39:36 PM »
Funny thing why I even bothered to get an Az CCW since it is not needed within the state.

Carry to neighboring free states was part of it.
Main thing was to be able to buy and walk out with a new firearm, no waiting time.
Lot of guys selling guns local want it and a state ID. 

ilikebigbots

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 07:55:27 AM »
Funny thing why I even bothered to get an Az CCW since it is not needed within the state.

Carry to neighboring free states was part of it.
Main thing was to be able to buy and walk out with a new firearm, no waiting time.
Lot of guys selling guns local want it and a state ID.

I mainly applied to carry when I travel in the future. Thinking about moving mainland in the next couple of years. I did use a money order (western union) for the $60 fee. Hopefully everything goes smooth

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 12:55:02 PM »
I mainly applied to carry when I travel in the future. Thinking about moving mainland in the next couple of years. I did use a money order (western union) for the $60 fee. Hopefully everything goes smooth

If you're exclusively carrying non-resident CCW permits from various states (as Hawaii residents have been forced to do), it's advisable to have permits from a few states.

The agreements and rules for reciprocity tend to change.  One agreement can expire, leaving a "gap" between the expiration date and whenever they get around to renewing the agreement.  For example, if Ohio honors Florida's permits, for both FL residents and non-residents, but the agreement was for a 5 year period, that period might end while you're traveling to Ohio.  You might not be aware the agreement hasn't been renewed, so technically you are carrying without a permit.

You might also be traveling with a non-resident CCW permit from FL, not knowing the Ohio law changed to not honor NR permits from FL.  Again, the goal posts moved without you knowing.  Perhaps FL enacted a new, less strict law for non-resident CCW permits that Ohio doesn't like, so they stopped honoring that state's NR permits.

There are many other ways to get caught during travel with a permit that was okay before but is now invalid where you are heading.

If Ohio also honors AZ, NV, UT or other "popular" states' NR permits, and you have one of those in addition to FL, you'd be covered if FL is suddenly rejected.

Overlap and redundancy can help keep you from breaking the law when traveling,  Also, since not all permits are honored in the same states, a second permit might offer a few more states in which to carry that your first permit doesn't.  Added bonus!   :thumbsup:

I look forward to national reciprocity, where non-resident permits are sold on eBay as collectibles. 
-- Melvin Udall

ilikebigbots

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 04:31:56 PM »
If you're exclusively carrying non-resident CCW permits from various states (as Hawaii residents have been forced to do), it's advisable to have permits from a few states.

The agreements and rules for reciprocity tend to change.  One agreement can expire, leaving a "gap" between the expiration date and whenever they get around to renewing the agreement.  For example, if Ohio honors Florida's permits, for both FL residents and non-residents, but the agreement was for a 5 year period, that period might end while you're traveling to Ohio.  You might not be aware the agreement hasn't been renewed, so technically you are carrying without a permit.

You might also be traveling with a non-resident CCW permit from FL, not knowing the Ohio law changed to not honor NR permits from FL.  Again, the goal posts moved without you knowing.  Perhaps FL enacted a new, less strict law for non-resident CCW permits that Ohio doesn't like, so they stopped honoring that state's NR permits.

There are many other ways to get caught during travel with a permit that was okay before but is now invalid where you are heading.

If Ohio also honors AZ, NV, UT or other "popular" states' NR permits, and you have one of those in addition to FL, you'd be covered if FL is suddenly rejected.

Overlap and redundancy can help keep you from breaking the law when traveling,  Also, since not all permits are honored in the same states, a second permit might offer a few more states in which to carry that your first permit doesn't.  Added bonus!   :thumbsup:

I look forward to national reciprocity, where non-resident permits are sold on eBay as collectibles.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I'm thinking about applying for other out of state permits too. Just gonna wait and see how this Arizona CCW permit goes and i'll go from there. Still waiting for the CCW for honolulu which I was one of the first hundred to apply

RSN172

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 06:26:08 PM »
Ohio is a CC state now, so no permit needed.

robtmc

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 08:04:12 PM »
Cannot conceive of ever going there. 

There would be the minor issue of getting your sidearm there to take advantage of their enlightened laws, of course.

RSN172

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 08:24:46 PM »
Cannot conceive of ever going there. 

There would be the minor issue of getting your sidearm there to take advantage of their enlightened laws, of course.
I have visited Ohio about 10 times. 4 were for tree industry trade shows. My brother and sister both live near Columbus.   On my first visit there my sister-in-law told my brother to go take me sightseeing.   He asked me do you want to go to the factory to watch them make spark plugs or park by I-70 and watch the cars go by. LOL.  He then told his wife, this isn't Hawaii.  There is nothing to see or do around here that I would be interested in.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 09:07:46 PM »

I wasn't using Ohio as a concrete example -- just illustrating a point.

The list of 25 CC/Permit-less CCW states is available online, but they also issue permits still -- in case you are a resident and want to travel outside of your CC state.  Without that permit, states that honor your states permit would have a problem.  So, even CC states have to play the reciprocity game, too. 

I was just making a point about the BS we must deal with and how having more than one state's CCW permit when traveling can be a real benefit depending on where you plan to go.

Carry on....
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »
He then told his wife, this isn't Hawaii.  There is nothing to see or do around here that I would be interested in.
Many years ago, the company i was engineering manager in was bought by a Chicago based outfit.   They had me come back for some touchy-feely management seminar.
Talking to the others about what they did there for recreation.   Seemed it mostly revolved around shopping malls, especially in the winter.

They later wanted me to relocate back there from SoCal.   I found a better job where I was.