Hawaiian Electric "Advanced" meters (Read 1147 times)

robtmc

Hawaiian Electric "Advanced" meters
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
Got a blurb in the mail about Hawaiian Elec wanting to change out our meter to this new wireless thing.

We got a new meter years ago when we put up a PV system.  Of course the blurb and online stuff is all peaches and cream.

Being a distrustful sort, with wireless control, I see remote shutoffs/power limiting and other big gov chicanery.

Anyone have had these meters put in and know anything about them?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaiian Electric "Advanced" meters
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 03:19:16 PM »
These are what used to be called "Smart Meters."

One of the biggest concerns for privacy is that it monitors and records electric usage data every 15 minutes.

Theoretically, anyone with access (or who can socially engineer their way into your data) will be able to spot patterns for when you're home and away.  If an investigator wanted to verify your "story" that you were at home at a given time, they could subpoena your HECO data and see if the usage matches your usual "at home" numbers.

It's ironic that HECO lists "more privacy" as an advantage (due to fewer meter readers walking onto your property).  The fact is, you're allowing HECO to invade your privacy with a Smart/Advanced Meter far more than the meter reader can ever do.

There are better, more accurate ways to isolate and measure energy usage for "different electronics and appliances" than looking at the aggregate energy usage for your home. A smart meter is not able to differentiate one appliance from another.

All in all, these meters have met with resistance by the HECO rate payers for good reason.  While they make it more economical to get your billing usage, going beyond that is tapping into information they really have no need for en masse. 

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/clean-energy-hawaii/grid-modernization-technologies/advanced-meters
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »
Thanks Flapp.

Bothers me there is no clear answer if the wireless link is two way or not.

Some teeaged hacker or moke could cause a lot of mischief if they got in to the system..

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 03:49:59 PM »
Thanks Flapp.

Some teeaged hacker or moke could cause a lot of mischief if they got in to the system..

1-way or 2-way communications depends on which protocols HECO is using.  Some are simple enough they don't require any communications TO the meter.  They are only set up to receive usage reports.  if they decide to use a fully capable network protocol like TCP/IP, then they have the ability to send requests to the meter for diagnostics and inventory audits.

The data is normally sent to an aggregated server for your neighborhood where you then have access to view your own data.  When it comes to customers having access via the Web, it's a given that your data is at risk of unauthorized access no matter how secure they think their system is.  Never underestimate the motivations of a disgruntled ex-employee or someone else (contractor) who finds a way to make money on that data.

We had an issue where the Air Force members going on personal leave out of the area were returning to find their homes were burglarized.  It began happening too often to be a coincidence.  Turns out someone working in the Command Squadron where leave forms were processed was tipping off the people breaking into service member's homes while they were away on vacation or wherever.

I can see knowing the usage habits of a household could have similar applications.  What time they get up, leave for work or school, get home, go to bed, and when the home is vacant for longer than a day.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aletheuo137

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
Thanks Flapp.

I like the old saying, "if ain't broke, don't mess with it!"

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

robtmc

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
That is what we decided to do.  Our electric bill is around $20/mo and do not want them to find an angle to change that.

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 08:36:06 AM »
When they read the meters in my neighborhood, he(she/they/it) just points a reader at the meter from about 20 ft and move on.  :wacko:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

That is what we decided to do.  Our electric bill is around $20/mo and do not want them to find an angle to change that.

Yep.  Me too.  I no need one smaht meeta telling me what to do.  I tell that bugga what to do.  :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.