MrBeast: builds 100 water wells in africa (Read 526 times)

zippz

MrBeast: builds 100 water wells in africa
« on: November 24, 2023, 08:47:33 AM »
Mr Beast built 100 wells in africa to provide water for a half million people and some people find it controversial.

I find the topic of Africans needing clean drinking water fascinating.  Something so simple we have in the US today and don't think about is a matter of survival in other parts of the world.  Something to be thankful for.  I went over it a little in the water filter thread.  https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=50349.0

MrBeast is a popular YouTube celebrity with the 2nd largest fan base of 213M and has videos on crazy things he does. He also does charity work and in this video he builds 100 drinking water wells in Africa which I find amazing.  But some find it controversial due to capitalism, white supremacy, and object to black people needing help from white people.

Just want to give credit where credit is due and encourage people to donate and put in the time for charitable work.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

Re: MrBeast: builds 100 water wells in africa
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 09:12:46 AM »
One thing we have is a never-ending supply of people ready and willing to tell other people how to spend their own money.

:crazy:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 03:06:11 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 10:06:43 AM »
I'm wary of donating my time and money to charities now. A lot of them operate like a corporation with high-salaried "executives".
I volunteered helping a local charity with building house for a family last month. We did the framing on that hot, sunny day and it was a lot of work. The people who organized it were there but did not participate with the labor. I'm guessing they are employees of the organization. The family who was the recipient of the house was there putting in labor.
I used to also deliver for Meals on Wheels. I stopped because many on my route were able-bodied with the exception of one lady who was so frail I had to put the meals on her dining table for her. There were adults who lived with there parents playing games on an early Saturday morning who received the meals. They surely could have driven down to Lanakila and picked up these meals for their parents. This organization receives a lot of money from grants and private donations. It also has a for-profit section that employs handicapped labor.
A believe a lot of our problems are solved by ourselves. Yes sure we could use a little help to get started but not rely so heavily on others. China has taken advantage of the situation in Africa and other countries under the guise of "helping"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 10:21:53 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 01:09:24 PM »
Hes 1 famous person that puts his $ where his mouth is and does stuff. This is 1 of many things hes done.

Vs celebs who just give $ toward a cause that has high overhead cost.

We buy his stuff as it helps him and watch his vids. But i like his older vids more than his more recent ones. Like buying what ever the sports coaches can fit in a shopping cart, buying a food bank what ever they can fit into a huge red circle. And the $1 home that went 45mins after billboard annoucement on a highway b4 someone actually stopped by to buy it.

I like how he employs his childhood friends. Cause he knows they arent only with him cause he has $. And how he buys their parents stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 02:44:36 PM »
I generally don't like his type of social media influencer's videos but good on him. My son has been wanting to try his chocolate bars, I'll go grab some for his stocking.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 02:59:16 PM »
I'm wary of donating my time and money to charities now. A lot of them operate like a corporation with high-salaried "executives".
I volunteered helping a local charity with building house for a family last month. We did the framing on that hot, sunny day and it was a lot of work. The people who organized it were there but did not participate with the labor. I'm guessing they are employees of the organization. The family who was the recipient of the house was there putting in labor.
I used to also deliver for Meals on Wheels. I stopped because many on my route were able-bodied with the exception of one lady who was so frail I had to put the meals on her dining table for her. There were adults who lived with there parents playing games on an early Saturday morning who received the meals. They surely could have driven down to Lanakila and picked up these meals for their parents. This organization receives a lot of money from grants and private donations. It also has a for-profit section that employs handicapped labor.
A believe a lot of our problems are solved by ourselves. Yes sure we could use a little help to get started but not rely so heavily on others. China has taken advantage of the situation in Africa and other countries under the guise of "helping"

I also am a bit wary now when volunteering my skills, time, and money.

What really broke the camel's back for me was when my workplace asked me if I would be willing to volunteer to do some electrical work for Kam lV housing.  Nothing major, just replace outlets, lights, check the wiring, etc.

So I show up and start getting to work.  Other people showed up and they were supposed to help paint, do minor carpentry, fix screens, etc.

All they did was spend an hour or so painting or whatever, and then when the media showed up they would smile and pose for the cameras, laughing and joking and overall just playing around.

And then they slowly, discreetly, and without fanfare, left.  Went home.  Wasn't even lunchtime yet. ::)

Some were teachers, government employees, and political aides or something like that.  I guess they wanted the credit of doing volunteer work on their resume, not necessarily the satisfaction of doing such type of work.

I promised my workplace I would put in an honest 8 hours of work.  And I did just that.  I'm pretty sure these asshats were expected to do the same.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.