Young v. State of Hawaii (Read 123127 times)

6716J

Re: Young v. State of Hawaii
« Reply #440 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:04 AM »
What is the reason why Young would take so long?  That Christian banker who refused to bake a cake went to SCOTUS very quickly.  So 1st amendment gets a "speedy hearing", but 2a gets jack.

2nd Amendment is 2nd Class in their world
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

tillamook

« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
Marking tires with chalk is more important than protecting your family, that's why. 

SOLEsource684

« Reply #442 on: April 30, 2019, 11:30:50 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/22/supreme-court-will-hear-gun-rights-case-on-transporting-handguns.html

To my understanding Mr. Young's case was fast tracked to SCOTUS via piggyback off of the New York case? Is that correct? Maybe someone chime in here?  I've tried to scour through this thread but didn't really see anything confirming this. 

Cheers,

zippz

« Reply #443 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:41 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/22/supreme-court-will-hear-gun-rights-case-on-transporting-handguns.html

To my understanding Mr. Young's case was fast tracked to SCOTUS via piggyback off of the New York case? Is that correct? Maybe someone chime in here?  I've tried to scour through this thread but didn't really see anything confirming this. 

Cheers,

Young en banc was put on hold in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals until the NY SCOTUS case is decided.

In other words, it was delayed.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

RSN172

« Reply #444 on: May 01, 2019, 05:34:00 AM »
They waiting till I die first.

punaperson

« Reply #445 on: May 01, 2019, 05:50:03 AM »
They waiting till I die first.
It won't matter if you die first... it will matter if Mr. Young dies first.

Just sayin'...   :geekdanc:   ;) :shaka:

changemyoil66

« Reply #446 on: May 01, 2019, 09:32:23 AM »
It won't matter if you die first... it will matter if Mr. Young dies first.

Just sayin'...   :geekdanc:   ;) :shaka:

We all better chip in if he needs any medical care.  Gofundme?

punaperson

« Reply #447 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »
Here's Stephen Halbrook on NRA-TV's Grant Stinchfield show today briefly discussing the SCOTUS denial of stay requested by NYC in NYSRPA v NYC. Meaning it's still being scheduled to be heard next session (hopefully early in the fall so we can get a decision ASAP and get Young rolling again...).

Starts at 1:20...

https://www.nratv.com/videos/stinchfield-stephen-halbrook-new-york-citys-attempt-to-escape-scotus-review-fails

Charles Nichols

« Reply #448 on: May 01, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
The final judgment of Federal district court judge Samuel James Otero in my California Open Carry appeal was published on this day, five years ago.  I published a timely appeal the same month.  The judge compared firearms to crystal meth and people who carry them to drug dealers.  Sadly, the State of California did not stand by Otero's analogy on appeal.  My lawsuit was filed in the district court on November 30th of 2011.

Mr. Young filed his notice of appeal on December 14, 2012.  His lawsuit was initially filed in June of 2012.  His judge held that the Second Amendment right is limited to the inside of one's home.

Pena v. Horen was initially filed in the district court on April 30, 2009 (ten years ago).  The 9th circuit court of appeals tossed it on August 3, 2018. It is currently awaiting a decision on its cert petition.

Across the nation, well over 1,000 Second Amendment cases have been decided with finality in the Federal courts, nearly all of them while any of the three cases above have languished in the courts.

I stopped tracking the time between cases taken under submission for a decision in Second Amendment cases but I suspect the 9th circuit court of appeals still holds the record for the shortest time, which was two days. Proof that the 9th circuit can issue a decision quickly when it wants to.

I suspect that the overall "winner" is the ~15-year long nunchuck case out of New York.  That case was reversed and remanded by SCOTUS nine years ago and just recently won before the Federal district court judge.

"Fast track" is not a term I would use.

How old is Mr. Young? 

Mark Baird, who recently filed his own California Open Carry lawsuit (albeit limited to handguns) is 69 years old the last time I heard.

At 59 years of age, I am the spring chicken of the three carry cases.

punaperson

« Reply #449 on: May 01, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »

How old is Mr. Young? 

Mark Baird, who recently filed his own California Open Carry lawsuit (albeit limited to handguns) is 69 years old the last time I heard.

At 59 years of age, I am the spring chicken of the three carry cases.
According to this story from Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-hawaii/unlikely-pair-could-usher-gun-rights-case-to-u-s-supreme-court-idUSKBN1KT13B), Mr. Young was 68 last August at the time the story was published (that means he was awfully young when in Vietnam).

My suggestion is that the next plaintiff in a carry case, at least in Hawaii and the consequent Ninth Circuit, be a fetus. Have the pregnant woman go in and say that the fetus has told her it wants to have a carry license waiting when it emerges and has given the mother power of attorney to submit an application to be valid from the date of birth. Baby comes out, immediately starts crying because license has been denied, thus making it defenseless against some clown holding it upside down and spanking it. I figure that way, even with all the delay shenanigans at every level we'd have a chance of someone taking the litigation all the way to SCOTUS and getting a decision while the person was still alive and thus the case not mooted by plainiff death. Twins would be even better.

Charles Nichols

« Reply #450 on: May 01, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »
According to this story from Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-hawaii/unlikely-pair-could-usher-gun-rights-case-to-u-s-supreme-court-idUSKBN1KT13B), Mr. Young was 68 last August at the time the story was published (that means he was awfully young when in Vietnam).

My suggestion is that the next plaintiff in a carry case, at least in Hawaii and the consequent Ninth Circuit, be a fetus. Have the pregnant woman go in and say that the fetus has told her it wants to have a carry license waiting when it emerges and has given the mother power of attorney to submit an application to be valid from the date of birth. Baby comes out, immediately starts crying because license has been denied, thus making it defenseless against some clown holding it upside down and spanking it. I figure that way, even with all the delay shenanigans at every level we'd have a chance of someone taking the litigation all the way to SCOTUS and getting a decision while the person was still alive and thus the case not mooted by plainiff death. Twins would be even better.

Love it.

Where is the ROTFLMAO emoji?

punaperson

« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
Young attorney's file amicus in NYSRPA (Young en banc is stayed pending SCOTUS decision in NYSRPA)(I note they mention Mr. Young's age as a possible relevant factor to consider in reaching a resolution... as per above discussion).

Brief article with basics:

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesMain/tabid/56/ID/23611/Lawyers-for-Hawaii-Gun-Carry-Lawsuit-File-Supreme-Court-Brief-in-New-York-Case.aspx

The actual amicus brief:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/99589/20190514093818327_18-280%20Amicus%20Young.pdf

tillamook

« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:58 AM »
what happens if he does die?  Does the case get thrown out?  because that seems like it is the strategy here by the courts.   

6716J

« Reply #453 on: April 27, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »

zippz

« Reply #454 on: April 27, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
Young v Hawaii continues on now.  HIFICO is preparing another amicus brief to support it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

punaperson

« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
The case ended up as moot   :grrr:

Here is the opinion:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/18-280_ba7d.pdf

Link to the docket:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-280.html

Kavanaugh was no friend to us...
So... 6-3... that's not a good sign... though Kavanaugh claims other issues re 2A need to be addressed, but that's still 5-4... against us... Roberts... that fucker.

deja vu re Eisenhower: “I made two mistakes and both of them are sitting on the Supreme Court. [Referring to Earl Warren and William Brennan]”
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:52:22 AM by punaperson »

hvybarrels

« Reply #456 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »
New York legal machine is a slippery beaver. Some of the best.

My question is how does SCOTUS respond to the whack-a-mole game of Constitutional infringements that are quickly repealed under a legal challenge, only to pop back up in some other form and in other places?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Brystont1

« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
New York legal machine is a slippery beaver. Some of the best.

My question is how does SCOTUS respond to the whack-a-mole game of Constitutional infringements that are quickly repealed under a legal challenge, only to pop back up in some other form and in other places?

Such horse shit. How can the supreme court judges not realize that they are being played?

Mdotweber

« Reply #458 on: April 27, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
Lets just say Trump gets two more SCOTUS picks, I have a feeling Kavanaugh and Roberts will be the deciding vote on any 2A case that's heard (so maybe one in the next ten years :crazy:) and they probably won't rule the way a lot of us would want. The government will more than likely protect the government first and maintain the status quo. A good majority of R's are pro gun control and only placate us for our votes,The Supremes aren't the ones getting played...we are.

That being said we cannot wait and expect SCOTUS or any court to rule our way, I know I'm preaching to the choir on this site, but maybe just maybe we can engage these new Covid panick gun buyers to join us in our cause. We can become a loud voice in the legislative system and affect positive 2A change here locally.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:35:54 PM by Mdotweber »
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

6716J

« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Lets just say Trump gets two more SCOTUS picks, I have a feeling Kavanaugh and Roberts will be the deciding vote on any 2A case that's heard (so maybe one in the next ten years :crazy:) and they probably won't rule the way a lot of us would want. The government will more than likely protect the government first and maintain the status quo. A good majority of R's are pro gun control and only placate us for our votes,The Supremes aren't the ones getting played...we are.

That being said we cannot wait and expect SCOTUS or any court to rule our way, I know I'm preaching to the choir on this site, but maybe just maybe we can engage these new Covid panick gun buyers to join us in our cause. We can become a loud voice in the legislative system and affect positive 2A change here locally.

The only way our rights will stop being infringed is to use trickle up economics and do what HiFiCo and other organizations are doing and start locally. But it does take us being willing to take the heat and step out into the light and fight the machine head on. And sadly, some of us will pay a hefty price.