hypothetical question for a monday- if ccw passes, what would you carry and how? (Read 35611 times)

Heavies

On a side note, on those ultra compacts and snub nose, ammo choice needs to researched and selected carefully. In my research on effective 9mm HP defensive ammo,  I have seen that most hollow points out, of short barrels, fail big time.  Most are designed to be used in a 4" or better barrel, and with shorter barrels the projectiles do not have the required velocity to work properly and effectively.  Now don't get me wrong, it'll still make holes, however, the bullet may not expand as designed, may over penetrate, and may not have the desired designed effect...

macsak

On a side note, on those ultra compacts and snub nose, ammo choice needs to researched and selected carefully. In my research on effective 9mm HP defensive ammo,  I have seen that most hollow points out, of short barrels, fail big time.  Most are designed to be used in a 4" or better barrel, and with shorter barrels the projectiles do not have the required velocity to work properly and effectively.  Now don't get me wrong, it'll still make holes, however, the bullet may not expand as designed, may over penetrate, and may not have the desired designed effect...

bottom of this table
http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

Heavies

bottom of this table
http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ; but have you seen it available in quantity around here?

9mm GDHP 124 standard $20something a 50 round box... Hard to beat. ;D

macsak

nope
never seen it here
if ccw passes, i will look for it on trips to the mainland

mauidog

I bought 3 boxes of the SPEER Gold Dot Personal Protection .45ACP 230g GDHP Short Barrel Hollow Point a little over a year ago at YGuns.  Checked several times for the 9MM Short Barrel ammo, but it was never in stock.

20rd box @ $34.99

For 9MM, I decided on the Hornady +P with Flex Tip filler in the hollow point.  Gets good reviews for expansion, penetrating thick clothing and reliable feeding compared to regular HP ammo.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
I'll play, carried for years in VA;

Glock G27 in a Comp Tac IWB holster at the 4 o'clock position. The Comp Tac was a hybrid leather and kydex holster that was very comfortable and barely imprinted at all. I wore this all the time with t shirts and no issues. Extra mag in the front pocket usually

In "dress" cloths, a Ruger LCP in a Recluse wallet holster. This holster had a trigger block and also held one extra mag. Zero imprint, fit in the back pocket and looked like a wallet from the rear.

I'm now interested in the INCOG and appendix carry, but not in a rush to visit that setup here in HI. The cargo pocket holster for the LCP would be a good setup too.

For me, it's a G23 in a Comp Tac clone also in the 4 o'clock position
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

stangzilla

Ruger Security Six
2.75 inch barrel
Iwb/owb depends what I'm wearing
.38sp+p hp

I have other options, but this would be my first choice for all around go to handgun that I own.

Inspector

I would carry my Sig P228 (9mm) in an IWB holster. T-shirt tucked in with a light unbuttoned short sleeve shirt (Maybe in a size Long) over it. If I wear a light jacket/hoodie or cargo pants I would love to check out the LCR in 9mm as a deep backup.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

Ruger Security Six
2.75 inch barrel
Iwb/owb depends what I'm wearing
.38sp+p hp

I have other options, but this would be my first choice for all around go to handgun that I own.

option 2:
Ruger SP101, 357 mag

option 3: 
XDm, .45 acp
(if I'm going KPT, or otherwise anticipating need more firepower)

new guy

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:06:08 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

Barrett808

Got my Utah CCW, when traveling out of state carry CZ SP01 9mm & S&W Performance Center M60 38spl. I'm skinny so carrying my favorite 1911 is hard unless in belt clip wearing a jacket or vest. CZ or 1911 usually in fanny pack and M60 in pocket.
Love snubs but limits my J frame to 3 rounds legal. Lame but 3 is better than none. Pic of favorite pea shooter.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:45:56 PM by Barrett808 »

myanmar1

Sig 938/pocket holster.
Or sp101/ pocket holster.
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” — Benjamin Franklin

hvybarrels

Glock somethingorother probably IWB. I'm boring.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

talula

A AR Pistol under my kilt. I think I going to need more kilts.  :crazy: if not ruger lcr9 in pocket. Too much love handles to do anything around the hips.
Every ones a good person. You just might be catching them in a bad time of their life.

sworbeyegib

I would like to have 3 CCW guns. Not 3 on me, just 3 that I could have the option of using to dress around.

A compact sized double stack pistol. Glock 19 or M&P Compact sized. For general carry when it is easy enough to dress around it.

A slim single stack gun like the Shield, XDS or Glock 42. For times when I wish to carry IWB but am wearing something that prints a double stack.

A pocket snubby .38, for pocket carry. For those days I'm rocking cargo shorts and tank top. Or no shirt at all.

sworbeyegib

I know the advantages of appendix carry, but I personally prefer a 4 oclock carry. I've got a bit of a belly...

Jdelacruz

Since I train with a Glock 17 I'd probably carry a Glock 26 with regular clothing and a Glock 42 with light clothing. I'm assuming the holds would be similar.

mauidog

Since I train with a Glock 17 I'd probably carry a Glock 26 with regular clothing and a Glock 42 with light clothing. I'm assuming the holds would be similar.

Not a good assumption :)

You might want to try them all before you decide.  I have the 17 and 42, and had until May the 26.  They all take some getting used to.  The most common characteristic is they all operate like a Glock.  No need to worry about variations functionally.

:thumbsup:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Jdelacruz

Not a good assumption :)

You might want to try them all before you decide.  I have the 17 and 42, and had until May the 26.  They all take some getting used to.  The most common characteristic is they all operate like a Glock.  No need to worry about variations functionally.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. I held the 42 and it seems like when I bring it up it I am able to get the sights on target similar to my 17. I haven't shot it yet though. Any particular reason why you don't have the 42 anymore?

mauidog

Thanks for the heads up. I held the 42 and it seems like when I bring it up it I am able to get the sights on target similar to my 17. I haven't shot it yet though. Any particular reason why you don't have the 42 anymore?

I still have the 42.  The 26 moved away to another state that issues CCP (CCW) permits.  In fact, the owner just got her permit last month.   :thumbsup: