Ghost gun myths (Read 2568 times)

aletheuo137

Ghost gun myths
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »

changemyoil66

Re: Ghost gun myths
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
According to testimony submitted by EveryTown and Moms, p80s are not detectable from metal detectors.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:44:04 PM »
According to testimony submitted by EveryTown and Moms, p80s are not detectable from metal detectors.

If it's just the p80 -- no other parts assembled -- then they would be accurate.   :rofl: :thumbsup: :geekdanc:

P80 vs. "Ghost Gun."  Not synonyms.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »
If it's just the p80 -- no other parts assembled -- then they would be accurate.   :rofl: :thumbsup: :geekdanc:

P80 vs. "Ghost Gun."  Not synonyms.

They were referring to ghost guns.

Coralie Matayoshi referenced that plastic guns cannot be detected as well. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:13:40 PM »
They were referring to ghost guns.

Coralie Matayoshi referenced that plastic guns cannot be detected as well.

I'm sure they were, but you stated P80 -- which is ambiguous as to whether it's assembled as a gun or not.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 01:16:20 PM »
I'm sure they were, but you stated P80 -- which is ambiguous as to whether it's assembled as a gun or not.

My bad, I refer to it as the P80 law since ghost guns are already illegal.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »
My bad, I refer to it as the P80 law since ghost guns are already illegal.

It's also illegal to have a gun with so little metal in it that it can't set off a metal detector -- at least according to Hawaii's law/bill.  Applies to P80 and 3D printed parts.

Some people won't be happy with any solutions that allow guns to exist.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »
It's also illegal to have a gun with so little metal in it that it can't set off a metal detector -- at least according to Hawaii's law/bill.  Applies to P80 and 3D printed parts.

Some people won't be happy with any solutions that allow guns to exist.

Isn't there a federal law about that and having to be a certain type of metal too?  If my packet of Eclipse gum that has a thin layer of metal on the back of it sets off an airport metal detector, I'm sure a metal barrel  will too.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »
Isn't there a federal law about that and having to be a certain type of metal too?  If my packet of Eclipse gum that has a thin layer of metal on the back of it sets off an airport metal detector, I'm sure a metal barrel  will too.

Yes, there is:
Knight said federal law already addresses another common area of contention surrounding
3D-printed guns: whether or not they are undetectable to metal detectors. He said the Undetectable
Firearms Act of 1988 outlaws the manufacture or possession of firearms that can pass through a
walk-through metal detector or X-ray machine commonly employed at airports without being detected.

"A person or manufacturer cannot produce an undetectable firearm as prescribed in Title 18 of the
United States Code, section 922(p)," he said.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/atf-explains-law-surrounding-3d-printed-guns/
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
As for Hawaii, the law states intends to manufacture. In my world and legally, if I do not purchase the parts with the purpose to manufacture a firearm, I can have all the parts and pieces I want and there is nothing they can do or say about it. The have to prove intent. I stand on my Hillary Clinton email server defense where she didn't intend to break the law when she signed and acknowledged that she wouldn't.

SECTION 3.  Chapter 134, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part I to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§134-    Manufacturing, purchasing, or obtaining firearm parts to assemble a firearm having no serial number; penalty.  (a)  A person who is not licensed to manufacture a firearm under section 134-31, or who is not a dealer licensed by the United States Department of Justice, shall not, for the purpose of assembling a firearm, purchase, produce with a three-dimensional printer, or otherwise obtain separately, or as part of a kit:

(1)  A firearm receiver that is not imprinted with a serial number registered with a federally licensed manufacturer;

(2)  A firearm receiver that has not been provided a serial number that may be registered in accordance with section 134-3(c); or

(3)  Any combination of parts from which a firearm having no serial number may be readily assembled; provided that the parts do not have the capacity to function as a firearm unless assembled.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
As for Hawaii, the law states intends to manufacture. In my world and legally, if I do not purchase the parts with the purpose to manufacture a firearm, I can have all the parts and pieces I want and there is nothing they can do or say about it. The have to prove intent. I stand on my Hillary Clinton email server defense where she didn't intend to break the law when she signed and acknowledged that she wouldn't.

SECTION 3.  Chapter 134, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part I to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§134-    Manufacturing, purchasing, or obtaining firearm parts to assemble a firearm having no serial number; penalty.  (a)  A person who is not licensed to manufacture a firearm under section 134-31, or who is not a dealer licensed by the United States Department of Justice, shall not, for the purpose of assembling a firearm, purchase, produce with a three-dimensional printer, or otherwise obtain separately, or as part of a kit:

(1)  A firearm receiver that is not imprinted with a serial number registered with a federally licensed manufacturer;

(2)  A firearm receiver that has not been provided a serial number that may be registered in accordance with section 134-3(c); or

(3)  Any combination of parts from which a firearm having no serial number may be readily assembled; provided that the parts do not have the capacity to function as a firearm unless assembled.

Articulation is key.

robtmc

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
Articulation is key.
The state rulers and HPD would still merrily "put you through the system" and bankrupt you to make an example.

6716J

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »
The state rulers and HPD would still merrily "put you through the system" and bankrupt you to make an example.

:grrr: >:( :(
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

omnigun

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »
Not sure if they have this already, but all cases the state loses they should pay for the defense of the individual that won.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »
Not sure if they have this already, but all cases the state loses they the tax payers should pay for the defense of the individual that won.
[/quote

Fixed it.
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »

I agree with you on the reading on the law but apparently the problem is that the firearms division doesn't agree and if you do serialize it and try to register it they will take it away. So even if they can't prove intent you still can't register it from what I am being told.

Though how would they tell the difference between a completed 80% gun and a gun you made from scratch?

robtmc

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »