brass catcher designs (Read 28777 times)

sound wave

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 1,540 meters per second
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: brass catcher designs
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
well, i tried to buy a brass catcher from Tony today.  He said he was all sold out.  He said sometime next year he will have more.  Oh well.

GZire

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Make one man it isn't that hard.  PVC or something like metal coat hanger/fishing net will work.

wirecounter

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
Can anyone post some pics or ideas for a brass catcher. I'm shooting more pistol now and I have a fishnet but was wondering about the height etc. I'm thinking a piece of board with the fshnet upright.

Okay.  I finally got around to taking some pics of the one I made.  1/2" pvc, glue all pieces except the center so it can rotate.  Pour in steel bb's to weigh down the stand before glueing the final pieces.  Used fence wire to hold up the net, but coat hanger wire will work.  Tapped the hole for the net to secure it from spinning & cut different lengths for either rifle, pistol, pistol on rest, etc.

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
nice.  how much did all those supplies cost you?

wirecounter

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
nice.  how much did all those supplies cost you?

Net cost around $5.  Cut off excess handle.  From Hobbietat or Walmart.

PVC pipe & glue = around $8.00.  City Mill

Bolt with triangular piece = around $1.00.  City Mill

Tap for tapping the pvc for the bolt = around $10.00 if you don't have one.  I forget as I had mine for over 20 years.

Steel BBs = around $5.00.  Sports Authority.

xer 21

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
if you want a ghetto design, i dont use this to catch brass, but it might work for that depending on the rifle.

i bent a long window screen at a 90 degree angle, and weight it down to the table.  i wasnt trying to catch brass, but i did end up catching quite a bit of it since the screen slacks.  i only use it to block the brass though, because my rifle throws the casings 3-4 benches down and it kicks it pretty high.  at the very least, its a really cheap way to at least make sure your neighbors dont complain, and if your rifle or pistol isnt kicking out shells too hard, it will probably catch most of the brass too.

ImKu

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
I went ahead awhile ago and made a ghetto set up using a broken laundry net basket frame and net, duct tape, zip ties, and a 5lbs weight.... Does it look good?  Nope, but it catches my brass and I just used stuff that was at house lol.  I really care less what ppl think about how it looks and got a few laughs at the range.
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

numbertwo

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
I just have a small painters bucket and i clamp my fishing net to it. I had to tape cardboard to my net handle so I could clamp it to the bucket. All I payed for was the net, clamps and bucket.

Works well enough for handgun, it's probably too high for rifle unless I drop knee but I haven't tried yet.

quint38

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
I cut the handle of  an old scoop net in half.  I put on piece in front of the other,  then used a hose clamp to connect the two pieces.  That way I can adjust up and down, even left to right. For the base I just drilled a hole in a scrap piece of 2x6 wood.   Cost me nothing and took 15 min to make.

aieahound

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Wirecounter

You should make 'em and sell 'em here on 2A.   

wirecounter

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
Wirecounter

You should make 'em and sell 'em here on 2A.

LOL.  Thanks aieahound, but I would charge too much.

I purchased one of Tony's (pistol RO) as well to use exclusively for pistol.  I have the one I made in a bag with my rifle stuff and I'm too lazy to move it back & forth or too old and forget to move it back.  His net is solid and well made.  And, he modified it to be able to use on the rifle side.

Hi state

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
This is what I made with some steel pipe and u can stand it up and use it on the pistol side.i also drilled and tapped a set screw so I can adjust and lock the net for different height shooters

stangzilla

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
net and jackstand
I have other ideas, but gonna see how this works out first

ren

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »
net and jackstand
I have other ideas, but gonna see how this works out first

wow 2 tons of brass!
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
wow 2 tons of brass!

at least that part won't break.   ;D

Dolomite

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
I've seen some guys clamp on nets to both sides of the bench, one side to prevent getting hit and the other side to collect the brass....

this was a good idea, but maybe make a net to catch the neighbors brass and keep it....

I've seen one guy using one of those folding clothes hampers, cut one side out to catch the brass. seemed to work pretty good....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:38:43 PM by Dolomite »

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

this was a good idea, but maybe make a net to catch the neighbors brass and keep it....

gotta invent a net that will catch the other person's brass and fling it right back at them.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
gotta invent a net that will catch the other person's brass and fling it right back at them.

Fekk that, I want to catch their brass and keep it.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

redryderbb

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:21 AM »
Seen some guys at KHSC modifying their fishing nets and attaching it to some pvc piping as a frame stand.

BananaClip

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »
The WGS guy showed me his set up once.......

It looked like a net setup from a ping pong table....simple and effective..

2clamps with 2 foot rods attached holding a 2 foot high net that he could unravel and clamp to the table on one side....

Only thing is that it didn't catch brass, just deflected....

I'm pretty sure you could put like a 3 foot high net on 2 foot high rods to create a pouch at the bottom....

Shoots, I might have to stop by City Mill today.......... :-\
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:58:54 AM by BananaClip »
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"