On mask and gloves for the virus (Read 17681 times)

Heavies

On mask and gloves for the virus
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »
I see many wearing face masks and gloves now, some making their own.

I'm not going to say it will or won't protect you, I'm sure it's better than nothing at all, but I would like to point out something to at least think about.

From what I've been reading and gathering, the virus is most likely spread from touching a surface that the virus has landed on, unless you've walked through someone's immediate sneeze or cough.  From my reading, the virus stays active on surfaces for extended periods of time. When you touch a surface, then inadvertently touch your face, mouth, nose, eyes the virus makes entry.

So, what I am getting at is that if you are wearing PPE, such as gloves and a mask, it is very important that you doff the PPE in a way to not contaminate yourself near your face, eyes, nose, or mouth.

Gloves need to be removed as to not touch the exterior.

Mask needs to be doffed as to not let the inside press against the nose, eyes, and mouth.

You shouldn't be futzing with the mask once it is on, no pulling it up and down.  Once on once off.

These items should be once used only. You should remove them outside before entering into a known clean area, and you should thoroughly wash even if you were wearing them.

I don't know if that makes sense, but just something to think about. Just don't want people to get into a false sense of security and be less careful just because you have them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:13:43 AM by Heavies »

Heavies

Re: On mask and gloves for the virus
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:49 AM »
Think of it like this.

You have a big fat diarrhea bird turd.  You have it on your fingers, hands, and on the exterior of the mask.

You pinch and press it on your mouth.  It soaks through doesn't it?

You don't want that, so you need to remove the mask as if to not do that.  Same as the gloves, you want that diarrhea bird turn on the outside of the gloves, not rubbing your face and stuff.  right?

Just food for thought.

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 06:50:28 AM »
Speaking of diarrhea, COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that does not cause diarrhea.  So why are people panic buying TP? 
I agre masks and gloves are unnecessary unless you are caring for a sick person or are sick yourself and don't want to infect anyone else.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 07:39:49 AM »
Speaking of diarrhea, COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that does not cause diarrhea.  So why are people panic buying TP? 
I agre masks and gloves are unnecessary unless you are caring for a sick person or are sick yourself and don't want to infect anyone else.
COVID19 show GI signs in 15-25% of those infected
but yeah, it is not a reason to hoard tp
people are conditioned by shipping strikes and hurricane warnings...

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 08:56:14 AM »
Make a cheap disposable mask with toilet paper?
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
:    :

In an apocalypse, TP is "paper money".   :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
Still see lots of people doing pretty benign activities wearing face masks.  Like being out for an outdoor walk for exercise.  I do think the calls for PPE for medical workers are making things worse.  I see so many not using the PPE correctly.  If not used correctly, will it help?  Even then probably yes, but I see so many folks take it off here and there, still touching their face, etc?  Even use of gloves.  I see many folks using them in the grocery stores, but they are still touching their face and other stuff. . .  ::)

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »
    Having been a Bio-Med Eng, I'm pretty versed in  PPE, Blood borne pathogens (>big fat diarrhea bird turd) cross contamination, etc...

We've been staying home but there will still be that weekly trip to gather fresh produce and re-supplement existing stocks. (Take advantage of the 60+ only rule early mornings  :sleeping:)
Gloves are easy, on when you leave the truck, off after you put the disposable paper bags full of grocery's in back of truck.
Drive home, don new gloves, open door with elbow, bring in grocery's to prep on counter similar to the nice vid someone posted here  (except utilizing 2 person, clean/unclean) and sterilize the only things in your pocket,  drivers license and CC you used to pay. 
Dispose of unclean wrappings in the disposable paper bags you used  and out to the trash,  strip putting clothes directly in machine and hit shower.  :closed:

Mask is handy for some if simply only to remind you to not touch your face.  :crazy:

Not sure if I got this on 2a but will post regardless.
It helps to "know your enemy".  :grrr:

SUMMARY TO AVOID CONTAGION FROM JOHNS HOPKINS
Notes from an Assistant Professor of Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine:
In our community chat here, they sent this excellent summary to avoid contagion.  I share it with you because it is very clear:
* The virus is not a living organism, this is an RNA virus with a protein shell that is covered with a layer of fat, which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own.  The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and the type of material where it lies.
* The virus is very fragile;  the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat.  That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub your hands so for so long: 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).  By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
* HEAT melts fat;  this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius (77°F) for washing hands, clothes and everything.  In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more effective
* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
* Creating a solution with 1 part BLEACH and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, as it breaks it down from the inside.
* BACTERICIDE DON'T HELP.  The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with antibiotics.
* NEVER SHAKE used or unused CLOTHING, sheets or cloth.  While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (METAL) and 72 hours (PLASTIC).  But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules can float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.
* The VIRUS molecules REMAIN VERY STABLE in EXTERNAL COLD, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.  They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness.  Therefore, DEHUMIDIFIED, DRY, WARM and BRIGHT environments will degrade it faster.
* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein.  For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is an excellent use case.  Be careful, UV light also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.
* The VIRUS CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA help.  The strongest vodka is 50% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE HELPS!  It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the greater the concentration of the virus.  The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
* REMINDER, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc.  And when using the bathroom.
* MOISTURIZE YOUR HANDS more frequently with lotion from the frequent washing, because the virus can hide in the micro cracks of dry skin.  The thicker the moisturizer, the better. 
* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

The following corrections have been brought to my attention.

1)     * LISTERINE HELPS !  It is 65% alcohol.
FALSE

CORRECTION
LISTERINE® mouthwash has not been tested against any strains of corona virus.
Only some LISTERINE® mouthwash formulations contain alcohol, and if present is only around 20% alcohol. LISTERINE® mouthwash is not intended to be used, nor would it be beneficial as a hand sanitizer or surface disinfectant.
Note: 
Original formula Listerine is about 54 proof with 26.9% alcohol, and many of the mint flavored mouthwashes are almost 22% alcohol. The alcohol content of Scope weighs in at 18.9%, and Cepacol at 14%.

2)     * NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA help.  The strongest vodka is 50% alcohol, and you need 65%.
FALSE

CORRECTION:

If you happen to be in possession of the discontinued Bacardi 151 Rum, it is 75.5% alcohol and can be used for disinfection.

APPLY EXTERNALLY !    LOL

Apologies for the misinformation.

Rocky
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:57:55 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

stangzilla

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/disinfect-clean-n95-mask-virus-coronavirus/

best way to disinfect n95 masks without decreasing its filtering ability is to do nothing.  air dry it for several hours.
a flu virus lasts longer on hard surfaces, but on a surface like a n95 mask it'll last a few hours

I work in health care, outpatient PT clinic.  we are running out of PPE's.  we have to conserve the use, although that's not standard practice, but we'll run out if we don't conserve.  I've bought my own n95 to use at work bc we don't have any, only have surgical mask at work
I don't blame others for keeping and using PPE for themselves.  they bought it, its theirs, use it to protect yourself and your family, do what you gotta do this is desperate times.  better yet, just stay home.  if I didn't have to go to work I would stay home too.
i'm using mask and gloves when I go out in a public place now.  I don't want to get contaminated and bring it home to my family or to my work.  I don't want to spread it.  I only go to supermarket or Walmart to get essential needs, otherwise I stay home if i'm not working
a friend of mine is making me a reusable mask which i'll use an insert of car cabin hepa air filter, rated 99% filtration.  can wash the cloth mask and insert new hepa filter as needed

stay safe everybody   :shaka:

passivekinetic

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
Good link. Thanks for the heads up.

Based on the research, drying for 72 hours would be better, if possible.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

macsak

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »
Good link. Thanks for the heads up.

Based on the research, drying for 72 hours would be better, if possible.

I tell people you can reuse if you hang in the sun on clothesline for 2-3 days
as long as was not used by someone who was ill with covid or someone has not coughed in your face
but, as always, #notarealdoctor

passivekinetic

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
I tell people you can reuse if you hang in the sun on clothesline for 2-3 days
as long as was not used by someone who was ill with covid or someone has not coughed in your face
but, as always, #notarealdoctor

I thought about that but two things:

1) Will the UV damage the plastic fibers? Usually polyethylene or polypropylene

2) Will fine atmospheric dust add to blockage and reduce breathability comfort?
- Anonymous

stangzilla

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »

a friend of mine is making me a reusable mask which i'll use an insert of car cabin hepa air filter, rated 99% filtration.  can wash the cloth mask and insert new hepa filter as needed

I forgot to add that my mask will be with a tigerstripe camo pattern!   :geekdanc:

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
I forgot to add that my mask will be with a tigerstripe camo pattern!   :geekdanc:
No Ruger orange?   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
No Ruger orange?   ;D

maybe I'll have her make 2   :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
maybe I'll have her make 2   :thumbsup:
Put in my order for “Black Rifle” color  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
Put in my order for “Black Rifle” color  ;D

black rifles matter   ;)

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »

This is the mask I have set aside.  Ordered it in Dec.  Seems awfully apropos now.   :rofl:

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »
I thought about that but two things:

1) Will the UV damage the plastic fibers? Usually polyethylene or polypropylene

2) Will fine atmospheric dust add to blockage and reduce breathability comfort?

it will damage it some
but not as much as baking (which could damage the elastic bands) or dipping in alcohol
you are breathing in microscopic dust when you are wearing it, and that will affect longevity of the mask
dust settling on it while it is in the sun is a minuscule amount

I bought an ozone machine last year that is supposed to work too...

passivekinetic

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
it will damage it some
but not as much as baking (which could damage the elastic bands) or dipping in alcohol
you are breathing in microscopic dust when you are wearing it, and that will affect longevity of the mask
dust settling on it while it is in the sun is a minuscule amount

I bought an ozone machine last year that is supposed to work too...

A buddy of mine bought exactly that, ozone machine.

Both of us are a bit concerned how he should use it safely. He hasn’t done anything with it yet.

You check recently if the machine works?

Better check now while maybe parts are still available and can be delivered.
- Anonymous