24%
Dan (Kaneohe GS).
28.1%
Dale (YoungGuns).
2.3%
One of the other guys.
8.2%
Total Members Voted

Poll time: who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu? (Read 98836 times)

rswarrior1700

Re: Poll time: who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu?
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
Dan may not be the grouchiest but his business practices are poor.
When you have a gun you sold on consignment for a customer you don't make him wait 6 months for his money.

Thats the thing with Dan he hates bringing stuff in that is not from his distributor and he brings in stuff that does not move. OGC will bring it in.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
I vote for Art
When I was just start researching on guns and trying to start a conversation going and he totally blew me off and suggested to take the safety class through him if I want to learn anything firearms related.
That experience stop me from buying a firearm for almost 10 years. Although I would say his staff is cool. His clients is mainly mil and LEO huge selection of guns and gears and he don't care for airsofters.

As for Dan I am his regular customer through the LIFE fun shoot. I can tell he will treat all 1st time shoppers suspiciously and cautiously and I can understand that because he only one guy running a gunshop. The only reason I go to his shop because by supporting him I am supporting the Fun Shoot that is held once a month out at Koko Head and that is the closest thing to a tactical class for here in Hawaii and it is free. Now he gives me discount but that is not why I shop there. He does his rant now and then and I do see if a bit excessive that scares people away but he means well, he just not very outgoing to people on the first meet. His main clients are civilians so his prices are low everyday for everybody and does not give any more discounts to military people or it will raise the prices overall on his inventory.

Carter probably the best buisnessman in the buisness. His tweeter account and  his activity on here. He willing to bring in stuff. Remember his little shop on King now look at the big warehouse he have now, so he must be doing something right. I dunno he comes off grouchy but he does come off strong and might offend people. I shop at his store if Dan don't have items like xdm magazines and defensive holopoints.  Lots of inventroy and his clients are anybody from the looks of it.

Folks of Young Guns are really friendly

WGS cool guy and he opens on sunday.

Have you been to X-Ring yet?
Art's best employee is over there now.

Yeah I heard his best employees left and started a new shop in Waipahu/Waipio?
I also hear they do price matching.

This leave the question  several questions
Is Art in Jail?
Is Magnum still running?

No, he's not in jail.
Yes, Magnum is still running.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

keoni008

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
Has anyone been to that Gunsource place on Beretania St?

Kingkeoni

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

I shop there sometimes
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

42itus

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

yup, Tony's a cool cat. Bought a couple of guns from him.  Just make sure you know what you want because if you don't he will definitely try his best to sell you what he thinks is the best for you.  Ask him if he has a cash price, if he's able to he will come close if not beat OGC's price.

GZire

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

yup, Tony's a cool cat. Bought a couple of guns from him.  Just make sure you know what you want because if you don't he will definitely try his best to sell you what he thinks is the best for you.  Ask him if he has a cash price, if he's able to he will come close if not beat OGC's price.

Yup you can deal with Tony..........he was a car salesman after all.  Be careful from the standpoint that he doesn't necessarily know as much about items as you might think he does.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
You have to buy from Tony with the mentality that you're buying a car.

The initial prices are higher than you'd want to spend but you can go back and forth with him to negotiate the best deal.

I've got great deals on a couple firearms.

ren

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
When you have a gun you sold on consignment for a customer you don't make him wait 6 months for his money.

Thats the thing with Dan he hates bringing stuff in that is not from his distributor and he brings in stuff that does not move. OGC will bring it in.
No. I had a pistol on consignment with him. He sold it and never told me how much he sold it for ir when. Took me months to get my money. F**k him. Never going back to his store or recommend his business to others.
Deeds Not Words

GZire

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »

No. I had a pistol on consignment with him. He sold it and never told me how much he sold it for ir when. Took me months to get my money. F**k him. Never going back to his store or recommend his business to others.

.............Wormy Dan strikes again................

Cougar8045

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
I haven't found an asshole yet, at any of these gun stores.  Maybe it's my winning personality, but since most people tell me I'm a bit of a prick, I think it's that I don't go to gun stores to talk story.  I go to the gun store because I'm interested in buying a few boxes of shells, or a can of powder, or whatever.  I walk in, ask for what I'm after, make a little small talk while they run the register, then I head out.  If I want to talk about guns, I call one of my friends up on the phone or post here.  By the time I'm walking in the door of the gun shop to purchase something, I've already done a ton of research on the internet, talked to people, and figured exactly what I want, so I don't have to pester the guy behind the counter with a bunch of questions.  For gun purchases, I'll have it narrowed down to a couple of different models that appeal to me, and I ask to handle those ones specifically; rather than putting my mitts on every gun in the store, while the guy behind the counter watches paying customers get frustrated and leave because they're not getting anyone to take their money.
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

808shooter

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
I haven't found an asshole yet, at any of these gun stores.  Maybe it's my winning personality, but since most people tell me I'm a bit of a prick, I think it's that I don't go to gun stores to talk story.  I go to the gun store because I'm interested in buying a few boxes of shells, or a can of powder, or whatever.  I walk in, ask for what I'm after, make a little small talk while they run the register, then I head out.  If I want to talk about guns, I call one of my friends up on the phone or post here.  By the time I'm walking in the door of the gun shop to purchase something, I've already done a ton of research on the internet, talked to people, and figured exactly what I want, so I don't have to pester the guy behind the counter with a bunch of questions.  For gun purchases, I'll have it narrowed down to a couple of different models that appeal to me, and I ask to handle those ones specifically; rather than putting my mitts on every gun in the store, while the guy behind the counter watches paying customers get frustrated and leave because they're not getting anyone to take their money.

+1

do your research in an non-rushed, unbiased manner. 

turbo-j

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
I vote for Art
When I was just start researching on guns and trying to start a conversation going and he totally blew me off and suggested to take the safety class through him if I want to learn anything firearms related.
That experience stop me from buying a firearm for almost 10 years. Although I would say his staff is cool. His clients is mainly mil and LEO huge selection of guns and gears and he don't care for airsofters.

As for Dan I am his regular customer through the LIFE fun shoot. I can tell he will treat all 1st time shoppers suspiciously and cautiously and I can understand that because he only one guy running a gunshop. The only reason I go to his shop because by supporting him I am supporting the Fun Shoot that is held once a month out at Koko Head and that is the closest thing to a tactical class for here in Hawaii and it is free. Now he gives me discount but that is not why I shop there. He does his rant now and then and I do see if a bit excessive that scares people away but he means well, he just not very outgoing to people on the first meet. His main clients are civilians so his prices are low everyday for everybody and does not give any more discounts to military people or it will raise the prices overall on his inventory.

Carter probably the best buisnessman in the buisness. His tweeter account and  his activity on here. He willing to bring in stuff. Remember his little shop on King now look at the big warehouse he have now, so he must be doing something right. I dunno he comes off grouchy but he does come off strong and might offend people. I shop at his store if Dan don't have items like xdm magazines and defensive holopoints.  Lots of inventroy and his clients are anybody from the looks of it.

Folks of Young Guns are really friendly

WGS cool guy and he opens on sunday.

Have you been to X-Ring yet?
Art's best employee is over there now.

Yeah I heard his best employees left and started a new shop in Waipahu/Waipio?
I also hear they do price matching.

This leave the question  several questions
Is Art in Jail?
Is Magnum still running?

So Brian from Magnum is the new owner for X-ring?  interesting....  He was the only cool one at Magnum....

GZire

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
^^^I thought that guy was hired, not bought X-Ring.  Take a look in the vendor section for more info.

Dblnaknak

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »
Art is a prick. Here is the story;

One day my co-worker and I walk into magnum to see if they had night sights for my H&K USP .40. To my amazemnt they had them. I asked Brian how much it would be to install them. He asked me if I was law enforcement and I replied yes and showed my creds. He said to just bring the gun by tomorrow, buy the sights for $100, and they would put them on for free. I said deal. The next day I return with my H&K and Art is there. I explain to him that I spoke with Brian the previous day and he said if I buy the sights they would install them for free. Art laughed in my face and said "well that guy is not here today. Its $50 to install the sights." I informed him that the deal was made and already thats why im here. He then looked at me with a stupid face and said "so what are you going to do" I looked in has face and said "fuck that, and this is the last time you will see me here." and we walked out. When I returned to my office I wrote an emal to my commander explaining magnums customer service policy and my agency has never purchased anything from them again.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Brian is the Sales Manager at X-Ring.  368-5263
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

vooduchikn

Poll time: who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu?
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
Art is a prick. Here is the story;

One day my co-worker and I walk into magnum to see if they had night sights for my H&K USP .40. To my amazemnt they had them. I asked Brian how much it would be to install them. He asked me if I was law enforcement and I replied yes and showed my creds. He said to just bring the gun by tomorrow, buy the sights for $100, and they would put them on for free. I said deal. The next day I return with my H&K and Art is there. I explain to him that I spoke with Brian the previous day and he said if I buy the sights they would install them for free. Art laughed in my face and said "well that guy is not here today. Its $50 to install the sights." I informed him that the deal was made and already thats why im here. He then looked at me with a stupid face and said "so what are you going to do" I looked in has face and said "fuck that, and this is the last time you will see me here." and we walked out. When I returned to my office I wrote an emal to my commander explaining magnums customer service policy and my agency has never purchased anything from them again.
sounds par for Art. I wonder how long his attitude will last in "Federal pound me in the ass" prison?
Relax, I've banned myself..

Cougar8045

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
sounds par for Art. I wonder how long his attitude will last in "Federal pound me in the ass" prison?
Maybe he'll be the next Andy Dufraine, and get by more or less unmolested by doing the guards' taxes!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

DuckFat

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
<--Didn't vote, haven't had a bad experience....yet

In no particular order, I've been to Security Equipment Corp., Young Guns, OGC, and Gun Source. I just got into shooting and I do my own research at home to get an idea of what I want but I still have lots of questions and the people at each store were very helpful in answering all of them.  One of the guys at OGC even brought in his personal gun for me to handle because the store didn't have one in stock. End result, I now have 4 guns that I am very happy with.

I also went to Magnum once to use the range, while waiting for a spot I checked out the store and the prices were so high I didn't bother talking to anyone or even consider going back to shop.
What if rhinos are just fat unicorns?

rswarrior1700

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
So Art got convicted right?
That would make him a felon?
SO he can't own firearms?  :wacko:

I dunno can anyone give us the full info on this?

Kingkeoni

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
So Art got convicted right?
That would make him a felon?
SO he can't own firearms?  :wacko:

I dunno can anyone give us the full info on this?

Inquiring minds want to know?    :geekdanc: