Authorized Types of Firearms for Hunting (Read 3395 times)

Q

Authorized Types of Firearms for Hunting
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »
Just got my license and starting to learn the ins and outs from the ground up, with focus in rifle hunting mammal game.

Hoping to use my current weapon systems,  but can't find any info on types of firearms authorized, or restrictions that might be in place; i.e. mag limit.

Hoping the experts can clarify, so I can potentially avoid needing to buy something else.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Authorized Types of Firearms for Hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
Have you checked the DLNR Hunting Regs?

§13-123-22  Conditions and restrictions.  The
following conditions and restrictions shall apply to
game mammal hunting in public hunting areas:

:
    :
(2)  With respect to firearms and archery
          equipment, the following conditions and
          restrictions shall apply:

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-123-Game-Mammals.pdf
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Q

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:46 AM »
Have you checked the DLNR Hunting Regs?

§13-123-22  Conditions and restrictions.  The
following conditions and restrictions shall apply to
game mammal hunting in public hunting areas:

:
    :
(2)  With respect to firearms and archery
          equipment, the following conditions and
          restrictions shall apply:

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-123-Game-Mammals.pdf

Yes read it. Does not mention restrictions on weapon platforms

Jmoto808

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Just got my license and starting to learn the ins and outs from the ground up, with focus in rifle hunting mammal game.

Hoping to use my current weapon systems,  but can't find any info on types of firearms authorized, or restrictions that might be in place; i.e. mag limit.

Hoping the experts can clarify, so I can potentially avoid needing to buy something else.

I would advise any and all hunters to read the full DLNR hunting manual and highlight all important aspects and carry it with you whenever in the field. Reason being that you have a physical source of information for yourself and for anyone who may approach you and question your doings. But I mean the straightforward rules to understand regarding rifles and hunting is that:

1. There is no mag limit in place
2. a "loaded" firearm means a cartridge is in the chamber OR a magazine in place if it is detachable
3. You can only carry one rifle with you at a time
3. No FMJ, tracer rounds, incendiary rounds, etc.
4. Calibers must be >.223 (fyi 223 Remington is .224 caliber)
5. Cartridge must be equal to or greater than 1,200 ft/lbs energy at muzzle.
-------This is really only a concern for 223 Remington, I hunted with a 223 last year, but also reload my own ammo and chronographed my rounds to make sure they reach legal levels (don't rely on box ammo info)
-------In general you need a 55 grain bullet to go ~3200 fps, a 62 grain bullet to go 3,000 fps, or a 75 grain bullet to go 2,700 fps
-------These numbers can be difficult to achieve with a barrel <20 inches. My 20" rem700 hit 3258 with 55gr nosler ballistic tip, but that was just a hair short of reaching pressure signs with federal brass.
6. Look on DLNR for hunting zones and know specific safety zones for each hunting area
7. On Oahu all hunting areas have a safety zone that is 50 yards from any paved road or building

Goodluck with everything bro. Feel free to continue to ask questions.

Q

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
I would advise any and all hunters to read the full DLNR hunting manual and highlight all important aspects and carry it with you whenever in the field. Reason being that you have a physical source of information for yourself and for anyone who may approach you and question your doings. But I mean the straightforward rules to understand regarding rifles and hunting is that:

1. There is no mag limit in place
2. a "loaded" firearm means a cartridge is in the chamber OR a magazine in place if it is detachable
3. You can only carry one rifle with you at a time
3. No FMJ, tracer rounds, incendiary rounds, etc.
4. Calibers must be >.223 (fyi 223 Remington is .224 caliber)
5. Cartridge must be equal to or greater than 1,200 ft/lbs energy at muzzle.
-------This is really only a concern for 223 Remington, I hunted with a 223 last year, but also reload my own ammo and chronographed my rounds to make sure they reach legal levels (don't rely on box ammo info)
-------In general you need a 55 grain bullet to go ~3200 fps, a 62 grain bullet to go 3,000 fps, or a 75 grain bullet to go 2,700 fps
-------These numbers can be difficult to achieve with a barrel <20 inches. My 20" rem700 hit 3258 with 55gr nosler ballistic tip, but that was just a hair short of reaching pressure signs with federal brass.
6. Look on DLNR for hunting zones and know specific safety zones for each hunting area
7. On Oahu all hunting areas have a safety zone that is 50 yards from any paved road or building

Goodluck with everything bro. Feel free to continue to ask questions.

Is the manual posted online? All i can find is ch 123 for hrs.

And i plan on using 7.62x39; hence the clarification on if certain weapon systems were restricted,  or if there was some type of weird mag limit outside of the normal law

Jmoto808

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2014/10/Exhibit-4a-Game-Mammals-Standard.pdf

I just printed this one out and keep with me in my hunting pack. I just print any pages regarding rifle hunting rules. No there is no specific weapon restrictions regarding weapon systems (i.e bolt action, semi auto gas, semi auto piston, AR platform, AK, lever). Those rules are same as state law rules.