Water filters for out of country? (Read 8478 times)

mangosteenqueen

Water filters for out of country?
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
So part of my family is going out to visit Vietnam in a couple weeks and they’re looking for some kind of water filtration since the water there isn’t all that great. They’re not only going to the cities but also to the countryside.
What I tried recommending them were the $15 lifestraws that you can toss in your backpack and wherever but they’re worried about viruses (it’s a 3rd world country, what would you expect from the water?) and are looking at those $50-100+ filters that weigh like an extra pound.

Anybody every traveled to 3rd world countries using lifestraws or similar?
Should I keep recommending the lifestraw to them?

I think they’re a little too paranoid and I don’t see why they’re freaking out since my mother and grandmother have been there many times before.

zippz

Re: Water filters for out of country?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
I use a steripen (uv light) for leptospirosis.  Kills bacteria, parasites, and viruses. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »
So part of my family is going out to visit Vietnam in a couple weeks and they’re looking for some kind of water filtration since the water there isn’t all that great. They’re not only going to the cities but also to the countryside.
What I tried recommending them were the $15 lifestraws that you can toss in your backpack and wherever but they’re worried about viruses (it’s a 3rd world country, what would you expect from the water?) and are looking at those $50-100+ filters that weigh like an extra pound.

Anybody every traveled to 3rd world countries using lifestraws or similar?
Should I keep recommending the lifestraw to them?

I think they’re a little too paranoid and I don’t see why they’re freaking out since my mother and grandmother have been there many times before.

sam's club has a 3 pack of lifestraws or something like them

supposed to remove leptospirosis and girardia

not an endorsement, just an FYI

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »
I’ll take reccomendations anytime.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »
If they won't take your recommendation, let them buy whatever they feel comfortable using.  :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Boiling water for drinking is probably not convenient for tourists, so bottled water is a good option unless you plan on going off the beaten path. 

You can find bottled water in most restaurants, hotels, big/small groceries, etc.  Many hotels offer a couple of free bottles per guest each day.

You can also buy 19-20L jugs of bottled water for not much money, and use it to refill smaller bottles as needed. Cheaper and more convenient than having to buy a bunch of small bottles every day.

Many locals drink hot tea instead of water for meals. The water is boiled, so all the critters in it are no longer a risk.

Avoid ice unless you made it yourself, since it was likely made from tap water.  If the restaurant uses ice delivered from outside companies rather than making it themselves, it's safe -- but use good judgement.

Instead of a filter or chemical treatment, use UV sterilization products like Zippz posted.  This one sterilizes 50 Liters of water on 4 alkaline batteries, or 150 liters on 4 lithium batteries.  Takes about 2 minutes per treatment, and it's good for about 3,000 treatments.

https://www.steripen.com/Aqua
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Nostayhome

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:46:09 AM »
I do a lot of hiking/camping and a better choice then the life straw is the Sawyer squeeze. It’s convenient and can screw onto any water bottle.
The steri pen is a good choice but it won’t filter out any hard particles. That being said, I try to grab semi clean water to try and prolong back flushing my Sawyer while on trail.

zippz

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »
Straws and water filters don't filter viruses.  You would need the steripen, chemical treatment, or boiling to eliminate viruses.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 01:54:48 AM »
Straws and water filters don't filter viruses.  You would need the steripen, chemical treatment, or boiling to eliminate viruses.

For the price and as small as it is, it makes sense to use a steripen in addition to any other filter used. 

Filters take extra time and need replacing or backwashing to clean out the impurities. 

Tap water usually won't need filtering, but will need sterilization.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but travelers to certain regions need to research the vaccinations recommended well ahead of departure. Malaria, Hep A & B, and Typhoid are some common diseases US travelers often get immunized against.  That way, if you do happen to get some bad water, food, mosquito bites, or whatever, the body has a chance to kill the disease before it makes you ill.

-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 07:03:45 AM »
sam's club has a 3 pack of lifestraws or something like them

supposed to remove leptospirosis and girardia

not an endorsement, just an FYI

lifestraw by vestergaard
$42.98 for a 3 pack
sam's club

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:12 AM »
They're going to the countryside for such a long period of time that they will need filtration?  I have never visited Vietnam, but when I was at my old company, we outsourced to a couple of companies in Vietnam and coworkers traveled there often.  Bottled water was pretty easy to come by in the main cities. 

One lesson that I learned from my work trips to the PI (and reported same for Vietnam and Thailand) was be careful when ordering drinks at places like restaurants or even smaller convenience stores.  Make sure they open the container in front of you.  Many places tried to fill "recycled" containers and pass them off as new. 

Flapp brings up a good point about the vaccinations and stuff.  On my first trip to the PI, I wasn't scheduled to go and I ended up filling in for another coworker.  Only had 2 week notice.  I asked my PCP about what was needed and said too late for some of them.  He mentioned that since I was planning on staying in Makati/Manila area, that generally ok without the vaccinations.  That as long as I don't head out into the boonies, should be ok.  Well, the president of the company we were working with had a fiesta in his home village and insisted we go with him.  It was maybe a 3-4 drive north of Makati.  Water was from trailers with big blue water bins on them.  Each property had a generator and mostly for lights and the karaoke machine.   ;D  It was also a farming community, so there were cows, pigs, chickens, etc all around us.  I spent the evening wondering if I was gonna get bit by a mosquito and get malaria. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
My PCP said the same thing about vaccines. Unless you're going into the bush, Hep A and flu shot are the only 2 they recommend.  Unless you're also going to be boning, then Hep B also.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
I have the sawyer squeeze filter in the cart right now. For most of them, it’s not their first time going there and the majority of them were raised in Vietnam after all.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
My PCP said the same thing about vaccines. Unless you're going into the bush, Hep A and flu shot are the only 2 they recommend.  Unless you're also going to be boning, then Hep B also.

When I had my Hep A vaccine, I needed a booster about 4-6 months afterward to be long-term effective. That's why you need to plan ahead.

There are many ways to contract Hep. One of the most common ways is to come in contact with someone who's infected or eat food they have prepared.

Do you think, with all the difficulty US employers have making their employees wash their hand after using the toilet, a place like Vietnam would be any better?   :shake:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
When I had my Hep A vaccine, I needed a booster about 4-6 months afterward to be long-term effective. That's why you need to plan ahead.

There are many ways to contract Hep. One of the most common ways is to come in contact with someone who's infected or eat food they have prepared.

Do you think, with all the difficulty US employers have making their employees wash their hand after using the toilet, a place like Vietnam would be any better?   :shake:

I guess after the whole Genki thing, many people now have their Hep A, including myself.  So it worked out that I went to Taiwan later.

macsak

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Unless you're also going to be boning, then Hep B also.

that's what you've heard...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
that's what you've heard...

It's listed in the chart I posted earlier.   :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

Q

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
Make your own.

This is all i use now.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »
Make your own.

This is all i use now.

Do you really mean "all I use", or "all I use before boiling or chemically treating for pathogens?"

The guy said over and over, this is for pre-treating the water for particulates. Parasites and pathogens still need to be removed, correct?
-- Melvin Udall

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
I don’t think i would want my relatives to travel on a plane with something that resembles a very  suspicious looking pipe in their luggage. Even a life straw sounds more efficient than this home made filter/pipe bomb.