Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47523 times)

ren

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
It's all Trump's fault.
And it appears to be coming from Kokohead so be prepared for more restrictions.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 02:46:08 PM »
Not 100% sure, but I don't think they will pay for your safe room.  Just to replace as close as possible exact home to current code before the loss.  Building to code now cost way more compared to code 40 years ago.

Unless you had a safe room, but the entire home blew away so they can't prove you didn't have one....

My friend had his house replaced after a fire destroyed it. He had a few upgrades included, like central heat & air, at a much reduced cost than having it installed in an existing home.

In fact, you could have them leave a space unfinished for your safe room, then finish it yourself the way you want and save the labor costs.

As for insurance coverage, they won't pay more than what it will cost to replace what was already there. If your limits are double that, then you are over-insured.

Your broker should be sending you a gift basket each year for Christmas.   :rofl:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
I've designed safe rooms for buildings and evaluated them after hurricanes (Guam and Okinawa).  In general, as long as you keep the envelope (complete building exterior) intact, the buildings tend to do fine.  The main points of failures are when corners of buildings fail at the overhangs and wind borne debris.

For safe rooms, typically just need a room or two with CMU walls and a concrete slab above.  Those don't add that much to the cost if you're already building a home from scratch.  Would be a good safe room for more than hurricanes and tornadoes. 

If anyone wants to read up more on safe rooms, check out FEMA P-320 and P-361.  There are more resources, but I literally threw them out like a week ago when did some cleaning around the office. 

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
My friend had his house replaced after a fire destroyed it. He had a few upgrades included, like central heat & air, at a much reduced cost than having it installed in an existing home.

In fact, you could have them leave a space unfinished for your safe room, then finish it yourself the way you want and save the labor costs.

As for insurance coverage, they won't pay more than what it will cost to replace what was already there. If your limits are double that, then you are over-insured.

Your broker should be sending you a gift basket each year for Christmas.   :rofl:
Insurance coverage is based on what the company thinks it will cost to rebuild a duplicate.  I have a bigger house than I need because my MIL was supposed to move in with us but then changed her mind after we bought the house.  That really pissed me off because I could have saved tens of thousands buying a smaller house.  I paid $377k for a fully fenced 3 acre property with a 3800 sq ft 6 bedroom 3 bath house.   The policy shows a replacement cost for the house at $774k plus $200k for contents.  I am pretty sure they will let me build a smaller house the way I want if the cost will be $200-300k less than rebuilding what I lost.  If they don't then they are really stupid.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
Insurance coverage is based on what the company thinks it will cost to rebuild a duplicate.  I have a bigger house than I need because my MIL was supposed to move in with us but then changed her mind after we bought the house.  That really pissed me off because I could have saved tens of thousands buying a smaller house.  I paid $377k for a fully fenced 3 acre property with a 3800 sq ft 6 bedroom 3 bath house.   The policy shows a replacement cost for the house at $774k plus $200k for contents.  I am pretty sure they will let me build a smaller house the way I want if the cost will be $200-300k less than rebuilding what I lost.  If they don't then they are really stupid.

Do you own the house, or paying a mortgage or 2?  The bank isn't going to be happy if the market value of the property turns out much lower than the loan appraisal hypothetically.

Even if you don't want as big a house, having the insurance company pay a fraction of the policy limit doesn't sound smart. That's like paying the car dealer for a full size luxury sedan and driving home a compact. 

It's your premiums, and your insurance benefit.  I'd have a hard time justifying walking away from that much value a larger home would represent.

Something to check on beforehand.
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
If my house got destroyed I would like a 800 sq ft house attached to a 6000 sq ft shop.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:04 PM »
If my house got destroyed I would like a 800 sq ft house attached to a 6000 sq ft shop.

I was going to say, it's much easier to have too much space you can use for reloading, a man cave or billiard parlor than add a room if you decide to later.
-- Melvin Udall

Tom_G

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
Looking into a little bit of solar for my disaster prep. What's got me paralyzed is deciding how much power I actually need.

I rent, don't own, so no installation. No way I can do something big enough to keep a fridge running, for example. So, if not the fridge, then what?

Charging a few small electronics (cell phones, Kindle). Maybe running a few lights. A radio. Conceivably a fan could be very nice. A small cooler? That seems like a luxury.

Carrying it should be an option, in the event of evacuation.

Clearly I won't have anything in place in time for Hector. But Amazon's choices are overwhelming. Thoughts from people who have already made choices? What did you learn?

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »
Looking into a little bit of solar for my disaster prep. What's got me paralyzed is deciding how much power I actually need.

I rent, don't own, so no installation. No way I can do something big enough to keep a fridge running, for example. So, if not the fridge, then what?

Charging a few small electronics (cell phones, Kindle). Maybe running a few lights. A radio. Conceivably a fan could be very nice. A small cooler? That seems like a luxury.

Clearly I won't have anything in place in time for Hector. But Amazon's choices are overwhelming. Thoughts from people who have already made choices? What did you learn?

I wanted a self-powered weather band radio for emergencies, and tried the Ambient Weather WR-334-U.  I liked the variety of power options: recharge its battery using USB port (car/PC/wall plug), crank, or just install and use standard batteries.  After using it for a year or so, it was recalled, and the company sent me a check for the full price.  I had a problem with it not holding much of a charge, so the recall was fortunate.

Now I have this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K6OCSI6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Eton is great.  Charging options are USB or crank (like the Ambient), and also solar.  The whole back of the radio is a solar panel.  I leave it in a spot where sunlight hits it for a few hours a day, and it always shows fully charged.

It has AM/FM/Weather bands, station memory you can set, weather alerts, and bluetooth so you can stream from a phone, iPod or Tablet to its speaker. Did I mention the speakers are 5 times better than the first radio?  It really sounds better than any other compact radio I've owned.

The kicker: it has a 5v—2.1A USB output port. You can use it to charge any other electronic.

It also has a built-in flashlight, a red emergency beacon, and digital tuning which is much nicer than analog and allows for memory presets.

It won't run too many lights, but it does most of what you want.  For the price, it's a good alternative power generator.

I have a Toyota Tacoma with a power inverter. I can run extension cords from there if I ever need that much emergency power. I also have a portable power station (basically a car battery in a chassis with all kinds of ports & lights) which charges with AC power.  It provides power for cell phones (cig lighter port), jumps cars with dead batteries, has an air compressor for flat tires or beach toys, and a 120V DC/AC inverter for running small electric devices.  It lasts quite a while between charges, and I could recharge it using my truck's inverter.

You could also look into solar power generators. They are really just solar-charged batteries that offer more amps/power time for appliances & lights. Some of them are pricy and can take a day or more to fully charge depending on the size solar panel you buy.

GoalZero was a top seller, but many more have hit the market since it was popular.

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-solar-generator-are-they-a-bit-of-a-gimmick
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:07:05 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 11:10:45 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about getting a radio.  I always forget about it.

Anyone able to configure their rooftop solar panels to charge things temporarily?  How easy and how much does it cost to hook up a charge controller and an inverter and a couple of lead acid batteries for low power stuff like LED lights, charge cell phones, tablets, fans etc?  Looking for a cheap easy way to do it for emergencies instead of getting expensive stuff like powerwalls.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:18:47 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rocky

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »

Hey Tom.   :wave:

I have a couple panels that have charge controllers built in similar to this.
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-20W-Solar-Panel-Polycrystalline/dp/B00PFGP0EA/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1533758482&sr=1-1&keywords=solar+panel+with+charge+controller
Connected to deep cell marine battery(s) which are connected to 2000 watt inverter and also wired for 12v DC.
Plenty  AC or DC for lighting, radio, fan, power tool (usually 15amp draw max) recharging small electronics or even running a small portable  freezer/fridge like this
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002Q1INDM&pd_rd_r=ab7191bf-9b47-11e8-800d-291f7dc96a5e&pd_rd_w=bx33A&pd_rd_wg=6L1MQ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7ca3846a-7fcf-4568-9727-1bc2d7b4d5e0&pf_rd_r=J9KDJQK07CTCR3ANF22Q&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=J9KDJQK07CTCR3ANF22Q.

I used to use 12vDC marine light bulbs in lamps  but found I can get just as much light if not more with newer  LED type  auto bulbs.
Increase # of batteries extends run time, increase in panels decreases recharge time.
No sun ?
Jumper cable to auto temporarily to re-charge deep cell batteries.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

ren

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about getting a radio.  I always forget about it.

Anyone able to configure their rooftop solar panels to charge things temporarily?  How easy and how much does it cost to hook up a charge controller and an inverter and a couple of lead acid batteries for low power stuff like LED lights, charge cell phones, tablets, fans etc?  Looking for a cheap easy way to do it for emergencies instead of getting expensive stuff like powerwalls.

You will need a large bank of batteries to equal a gas generator. There are also safety issues. If you already have PV the key is having an inverter that can manage or have the plug-in option to maintain batteries. You would also need to isolate the batteries from the utility grid. It's easier but inefficient to plug in a charger to your 110 AC line and charge batteries when PV is at its peak. You will need several deep cycle batteries and a DC to AC inverter (preferably pure sine wave) to tie into your home grid. I forgot what it is called but an electrician can install a switch to connect a generator to in case the public grid is offline.
I'm not on net metering but on grid-tied PV - so HECO is reaping most of the benefits. I still get charged for electricity when PV panels are not producing any electricity i.e at night. During the day I still produce more than I consume but I don't collect any immediate financial benefits. HECO doesn't pay a fair share of the electricity I produce instead they have a formula which doesn't make any sense. The HECO customer service rep who explained the formula to me admitted that the formula doesn't favor PV ownership. Anyways, my digress rant.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
You will need a large bank of batteries to equal a gas generator. There are also safety issues. If you already have PV the key is having an inverter that can manage or have the plug-in option to maintain batteries. You would also need to isolate the batteries from the utility grid. It's easier but inefficient to plug in a charger to your 110 AC line and charge batteries when PV is at its peak. You will need several deep cycle batteries and a DC to AC inverter (preferably pure sine wave) to tie into your home grid. I forgot what it is called but an electrician can install a switch to connect a generator to in case the public grid is offline.
I'm not on net metering but on grid-tied PV - so HECO is reaping most of the benefits. I still get charged for electricity when PV panels are not producing any electricity i.e at night. During the day I still produce more than I consume but I don't collect any immediate financial benefits. HECO doesn't pay a fair share of the electricity I produce instead they have a formula which doesn't make any sense. The HECO customer service rep who explained the formula to me admitted that the formula doesn't favor PV ownership. Anyways, my digress rant.

Sounds like you should invest in a powerwall
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

London808

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
Sounds like you should invest in a powerwall

I’m waiting on my permits for mine right now,

22 x 360 watt panels and 2 Tesla power walls battery’s
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

wirecounter

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »

Ideas from an old thread . . .

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=3361.msg31742#msg31742

RSN172

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
I use this set up to run lights only.  Using 10w led bulbs, can light up the house with 100w.  Running 4-5 hours a night, it should go for couple weeks at least without charging.  Each battery is 245ah@20hours.  Best thing was the price.  Free.  Unused and given to me by my neighbor who moved to the mainland.

hvybarrels

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 12:31:57 AM »
I use this set up to run lights only.  Using 10w led bulbs, can light up the house with 100w.  Running 4-5 hours a night, it should go for couple weeks at least without charging.  Each battery is 245ah@20hours.  Best thing was the price.  Free.  Unused and given to me by my neighbor who moved to the mainland.

Nice score! I got some Goal Zero stuff which works great, but if I had to do it all over again I'd look for the discount panels that the solar companies get stuck with every once in a while.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Soleyobo

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »
Hurricane Lane is crossing into central pacific should brush by south of Big Island around Wednesday (8/22) afternoon.  Will let you all know if anything changes but its going to pretty much follow the same path as Hurricane Hector.

zippz

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 06:24:45 AM »
A sharp turn north.  Batton down the hatches looks like heavy rain in the early weekend.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Soleyobo

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
Hopefully it loses steam, projected to be Category 1/Tropical storm by the time it reaches Oahu.