Functional Strength: Developing the Pull-Up (Read 3082 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Functional Strength: Developing the Pull-Up
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
I think a part of preparing for anything is being physically fit enough to handle adverse situations. One of my favorite exercises is the pull-up. I can't do many  :oops: but I think it uses quite a few useful muscles that can help save you.

ITS tactical put out an article on the pull-up including some tips on how to do them and how to get started if you can't do any. When I couldn't do any pull ups, I'd just hang and pull myself up as far as possible. Eventually I could do one and it felt good.  ;D

How do you feel about pull-ups?
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Antithesis

Re: Functional Strength: Developing the Pull-Up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:01:22 AM »
I have one of those doorway mounted pullup bars in a main hallway of my house. That hallway connects to the kitchen, livingroom, and is on the way to one of the restrooms.  I make it a point to do 5-10 pullups or chinups everytime I pass through so in the course of a day I'll be doing anywhere from 50-100 pullups. 

My bar is similar to this one, bought from the "As Seen on TV" store in Ala Moana, bought for about $40:

I like this one because of the various grip options for a varied workout.  It's a great piece of equipment because of how easily it can be incorporated into a daily routine.  You can" workout", without having to take time out of the day to workout. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:47:39 AM by Antithesis »
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

tonsofguns

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
Yea I got that bar too its pretty good

Jaydawg

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
I wasn't going to fess up, but I have the bar too.  Pretty hefty that it holds 220 lbs w/o problems.  I attached my excercise bands to it for more versatility.

mishka

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:23 AM »
I agree, I love pull ups.   I've got a similar item to the one pictured from Sports Authority for $20 I think it was.  It's a simpler stripped down version, but works great for me.  Only thing about it is I always forget that I have it there and accidentally close the door on it! lol

+1 on the "negative pull ups" as one of the methods to begin strengthening the right muscles to eventually be able to do pull ups..  I had several coaches teach guys/girls this technique in highschool.  I can also attest to the pyramid workout discussed in the article.  I learned it in highschool training for track and field and used the workout many times since to build up my pull ups again and again.  I have gone from doing 4-5 consecutive to 15+ within a month or so.  It can be very effective!