Legal Marijuana and Firearms ownership.... (Read 3988 times)

monster796

Legal Marijuana and Firearms ownership....
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
So I never had weed before and would love to try it, if I ever take a trip to Colorado, but I am concerned this would possibly be a danger to my 2nd amendment rights. Am I correct? What happens if I smoke in a country where it is legal? Not likely but is the federal government that set on destroying 2nd rights(duh me, of course lol)?

Drakiir84

Re: Legal Marijuana and Firearms ownership....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
What the federal government doesn't know won't hurt em.  Be weary however because in our state you cannot own, or at the very least register new firearms if you have a medical marijuana card. 
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

ren

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyJ3QruoaM&feature=youtu.be&t=59s

"You smoke this shit to escape from reality? I don't need this shit. I am reality"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:33:54 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

230RN

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:45 PM »
 ^
or at the very least register
Register?  No registration in Colorado.  (Unless they slipped something through while I was napping.)

Marijuana Meds?  No.

http://jeffco.us/sheriff/faqs/concealed-handgun-permit-faqs/can-i-get-a-concealed-handgun-permit-if-i-have-a-medical-marijuana-permit,-card-or-certificate-/

See therein:
Any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

^
What the federal government doesn't know won't hurt em.

^Poor advice. Very poor advice.

Terry

ETA I see you edited your post, Drakiir84, for clarity.  But the quoted paragraph above still pertains.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:57:22 PM by 230RN »
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

monster796

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
I need to become a politician, these laws are ridiculous. I used to be against weed but am now open minded. It is simply a plant. That has not hurt anyone. I wonder if this law applies if weed was smoked in another country that it was legal in..... I have not and will not smoke so long as my rights could be removed. I am all about doing things the legal way to avoid rape by the Feds....

mauidog

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
I need to become a politician, these laws are ridiculous. I used to be against weed but am now open minded. It is simply a plant. That has not hurt anyone. I wonder if this law applies if weed was smoked in another country that it was legal in..... I have not and will not smoke so long as my rights could be removed. I am all about doing things the legal way to avoid rape by the Feds....

State laws don't matter when it comes to pot and guns.  The ATF / Fed Gov't still list the drug as addictive and illegal. 

If you get an arrest for possession of it, are treated for addiction to it, or have a medical marijuana permit from your state, the feds automatically label you a habitual user.  If you try to register a firearm, and they know about your usage, they will deny the NICS request.

Even if you are in a state that legalized recreational use, you can be fired from your job for using based on their policies (military golden flow tests).  So know what the consequenses are before you assume "if it's legal, it's safe".
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
if you own firearms in Hawaii, do not register for medical marijuana, and do not see a psychologist
it will come back to bite you in the butt.

registering for medical marijuana does no good, except to have a record that you use it.
its like registering a firearm, does no good unitl they come to confiscate them from you.

monster796

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
It is unfortunate as it seems like everyone has smoked weed except for myself, I will not smoke until laws change and it is legal and rights are not stripped away.

whynow?

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:40:56 PM »
That's why if Hawaii legalizes recreational use like CO. it may affect gun owners knowing the type of politicians we have here.   Is it possible with legal dope, that Hawaii would require registrants to perform a piss test?   IDK, anything is possible here with loaded unintended or maybe intended consequences should dope be legal here. 

mauiboi9

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »
From my experience ive seen letters from police stating that blue card users are no longer able to posses firearms while under the prescription of a controlled substance. Alot of blue card users have brought in their firearms to consign due to this. They get money and no longer posses a firearm illegally according to the police. Others have transferred their firearms to family members, then turned in their blue cards. There is a one year waiting period, and then they can try to obtain a new long rifle permit. Idk if any of them have had problems with obtaining a new permit so far.
Im a recoil junkie

Q

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
Interested to see what they will do if the Veteran's Access bill passes.  The bill would make it legal for VA patients to be prescribed marijuana.

Maybe this needs to be forwarded to NRA-ILA and 2AF so they can bring more attention to it. I find it absurd that we have to relinquish our rights for medicine that helps us.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
The NICS system has been looking for any excuse to kick veterans off the approval list lately. 
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”