remington 700 locked up at range today (Read 7897 times)

powder monkey

remington 700 locked up at range today
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
saw RO's working on a remington 700 today that was locked up pretty good. Looked like rifle suffered an exterme over pressure load as 1 RO had the rod down the bore and was pounding it down the bore while the owner was pounding on the bolt. They got the bolt to open after a good bit of pounding and the bolt face had the case head fused to it. What was left of the case was in the chamber but was deformed enough not to be able to be removed. floor plate was blown open and bent.

don't know what the load was but it was enough to lock up the action. THANK GOODNESS for the Remingtons 3 rings of steel.

shooters please be careful when reloading.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:19:27 PM by powder monkey »

Inspector

Re: remington 700 locked up at range today
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »
saw RO's working on a remington 700 today that was locked up pretty good. Looked like rifle suffered an exterme over pressure load as 1 RO had the rod down the bore and was pounding it down the bore while the owner was pounding on the bolt. They got the bp;t to open after a good bit of pounding and the bolt face had the case head fused to it. What was left of the case was in the chamber but was deformed enough not to be able to be removed. floor plate was blown open and bent.

don't know what the load was but it was enough to lock up the action. THANK GOODNESS for the Remingtons 3 rings of steel.

Fortunately, no one got hurt.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have a Remi 700 and the action is stout.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Fortunately, no one got hurt.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have a Remi 700 and the action is stout.

ditto
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »

Posted by: Inspector
« on: Today at 08:14:50 AM »

"shooters please be careful when reloading."
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

London808

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
Posted by: Inspector
« on: Today at 08:14:50 AM »

"shooters please be careful when reloading."

JB weld can fix that
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

powder monkey

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
heard that the owner did a pull down of the remaining loaded rounds and found pistol powder mixed with rifle powder in the remaining rounds.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »
heard that the owner did a pull down of the remaining loaded rounds and found pistol powder mixed with rifle powder in the remaining rounds.

:wacko: :wtf:

powder monkey

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »
^^^^^^^operator error..................appears to be that wrong powder added when refilling powder hopper or somehow powder got mixed prior to reloading.

whynow?

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
Quote from: powder monkey link=topic=22898.msg204911#msg204911 date=1461479429

[/quote
  My routine is  rifle powder only in a Redding powder measure and pistol powder/reloading only in a Dillon powder drop attached to separate tool heads (only .357 mag, 9mm so far).   I leave a index card stating last powder used on the redding even though it is cleaned after each use. Why, don't know, just something I think is useful to know.
Because the reload process can get monotonous sometimes, only load 50 rifle or not more than 100 pistol at a time.  Only powder being used is on the table.
Hope everyone stay safe.

230RN

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:13:21 AM »
Was going to say it sounded like pistol powder was loaded, saw that was posted already.

Ayup.  30-40 gr of pistol or shotgun powder in almost any CF cartridge that will contain it and you don't need a disassembly manual.

At least not any more.

I'll bet that load was over 120,000 PSI.

Most of those pix of wrecked rifles looked like barrel obstructions.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:28:55 AM by 230RN »
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

Inspector

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:45 AM »
I follow the old ways on this. I never load using more than one powder at a time. I never have more than one powder on my bench at a time. When loading I keep the bottle of powder within view of my measure along with the recipe I am using. I double check powder type and weight, bullet type and weight and make sure I get a charge into each case. Yeah I reload slowly. I only do around 300 rounds per hour for pistol and about 200 rounds an hour for rifle.

powder monkey

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
agreed pictures look to be more of a barrel obstruction as the barrel split vs. the recieve.

As far as 30 to 40 grains of pistol powder thinking the whole action would blow up.

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
I know this is not a Remi 700, but I really enjoyed and laughed at what these guys did to a Mosin Nagant. Including using pistol powder in the cartridge. Here are parts one and two:

Enjoy!!!

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
This happened at KHSC Sunday.

Guy bought an upper from his friend thought it was a 556.

oops! its a AR 762x39

Thats a 556 shell.  the neck is now .30 cal......you can see the outline of the 762x39 chamber!

Shell didnt eject because no presure going down the gas tube...
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

SLORYDSTANG

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Not sure if this story is true or not but I heard it a long time ago. (This incident happened in the mainland) Guy purchases a 50bmg McMillan or McBros. rifle, shoots factory and reloaded ammo fine. Supposedly the guy buys a buttload of nice and shiny military ball ammo at a gun show. Take the gun to the range to shoot a few rounds, chambers a round, squeeze the trigger, BOOM! receiver gets blown apart, luckily only minor injuries. Pissed guy blames the rifle company, the company request the gun and the ammo in question. Upon arrival a company tech decides to check the ammo, noting the shininess of the military ball ammo. He pulls the projectile out then proceeds to dump out the powder, and finds the powder to be very inconsisent in size.  Seems that the seller of the ammo at the gun show, had threw the ammo in a tumbler/vibrator to polish the dull looking ammo. The age of the ammo, along with the tumbling supposedly broke the powder down, there fore changing the burning rate.  Well that's what I was told.

powder monkey

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
seen someone trying to load 7.62x39 in a 7.62x54r nagant and kept having to push a rod down the barrel to extract the round from the chamber and was wondering why it would not fire. figured 7.62 russian ammo was russian ammo.  >:(

whynow?

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »
One time while reloading 9mm, about 5 cases did not sit properly in the shellplate.  Looked at the case rim to see what the problem was then saw .380 stamped.  Must have picked up some ones .380 at the range thinking was my 9mm.
After that I always check the caliber along with mfg.  Since I don't own .380 I wasn't familiar with the case.  So many calibers including wildcat type calibers nowdays, gotta be real careful inspecting cases.

powder monkey

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »
a few weeks ago 2 handguns had malfunctions

1st had a barrel obstruction and 2nd round bulged the barrel
2nd had a squib and 2nd round mostly double charged.............blew the chamber open,. cracked both grips, blew mag out of gun.

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 06:28:32 AM »
Purchased 200 rounds of new Starline .45 Colt brass from a reseller on Amazon. Bought them about a year ago. Reloading them last weekend for the first time so I was running them through my sizing die. A few pieces went in and out so slick I figured they were perfectly sized from the factory. After sizing I started reloading by first belling the case and a few of the cases get bulged out to one side. Weird. Ruined the case. Could not resize it either. After approximately 10 pieces I finally looked at the head stamp and it was .44 Magnum brass. Tried contacting the reseller and they are no where to be found.