Are you making preparations for the 2020 election aftermath? (Read 23218 times)

omnigun

Re: Are you making preparations for the 2020 election aftermath?
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
Homes are great investments at the moment. Just like any investment timing is everything. But overall real estate is a good LONG TERM investment. Short term real estate kinda sucks unless you are doing a flip. But after doing my own flips I don’t think it is worth it unless you do one aspect of the flip yourself or own a contracting company. Flips are not easy and rarely make the kind of money you see on TV. Most of the flippers you see on TV are doing their own design work or contracting work. Which saves them a ton of money. Also, the good ones also have their own RE License in order to save a ton during purchase and sale. Just remember the Hawaii RE market is different than the mainland market.

I do my own taxes and have studied all the different IRS rules every year so I know what I can and cannot take advantage of. And you are correct I can do a conversion (transfer) without a limitation. But I still have to pay taxes on the contributions when they are removed from the Traditional IRA. But, instead of paying 35% tax on my contributions to a Roth IRA while I was working, I contributed to a Traditional IRA tax deferred. And now I am retired and in the 12% tax bracket. So when I pay the tax on my contributions I made over the last 40+ years to my traditional IRA it will be at 12% instead the 35% I was paying while working. By converting to the Roth I can keep investing in whatever and Enjoy all the benefits that come with the Roth IRA.

Yup right now with the interest rates so low its basically no interest.  Just keeping up with inflation.  Property investment looks so amazing.   Just got to be able to afford, and with covid there's a lot of uncertainty with the economy.   Got to be careful almost nothing is worse financially than foreclosure or bankruptcy.

aieahound

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
Apparently Walmart is. 

Walmart is removing guns and ammo from shelves and display cases in all stores as a precaution for 'civil unrest'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/walmart-removing-guns-ammo-shelves-205631113.html

RSN172

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
Just bought a box of 40 CO2 Powerlets at Walmart on Monday.  They were out of those for awhile.

omnigun

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
Just bought a box of 40 CO2 Powerlets at Walmart on Monday.  They were out of those for awhile.

I have been looking for those for months, how many did they have in stock?

changemyoil66

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
Apparently Walmart is. 

Walmart is removing guns and ammo from shelves and display cases in all stores as a precaution for 'civil unrest'

The Philly one got looted pretty badly.  You know cause a black guy with a knife didn't drop it after being told to many times.  Then started to come toward the cops. It's on video in case someone is doubting what happened.  But then again, he wasn't convicted of having a knife and ignoring commands.

RSN172

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
I have been looking for those for months, how many did they have in stock?
This is at the Hilo store.  They had 3 boxes and I bought 1 of them.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »
The Philly one got looted pretty badly.  You know cause a black guy with a knife didn't drop it after being told to many times.  Then started to come toward the cops. It's on video in case someone is doubting what happened.  But then again, he wasn't convicted of having a knife and ignoring commands.

All the looting and the rioting.  Because of the injustice. ::)

Of course if that person was White.  Or Asian. Or any other "opressed " nationality.  Probably wouldn't make the news.  Main stream news anyway...

Only Blacks are the superstars of this new era of "justice and equality".

Oh by the way, is there such a thing as a "smart pill"?  Some of the things these people have been doing lately is just downright stupid....... 

They need medicine.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

omnigun

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
All the looting and the rioting.  Because of the injustice. ::)

Of course if that person was White.  Or Asian. Or any other "opressed " nationality.  Probably wouldn't make the news.  Main stream news anyway...

Only Blacks are the superstars of this new era of "justice and equality".

Oh by the way, is there such a thing as a "smart pill"?  Some of the things these people have been doing lately is just downright stupid....... 

They need medicine.

I agree one day the liberals will realize they are racist.

macsak

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
I agree one day the liberals will realize they are racist.

they won't...

oldfart

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2020, 07:07:58 AM »
Apparently Walmart is. 

===================
They just put them back.
What, Me Worry?

groveler

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
===================
They just put them back.
I read that too.
Perhaps there are some CEO's that know which side of the toast gets buttered
and why.
The young guys won't know that saying.
Never mess with grandparents. even more
so with Great grandparents!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
I read that too.
Perhaps there are some CEO's that know which side of the toast gets buttered
and why.
The young guys won't know that saying.
Never mess with grandparents. even more
so with Great grandparents!

I have a feeling they now take the firing pins or bolts out of the display models and keep them locked up. 

Just contemplating how I'd handle it.  Display inoperable firearms to facilitate customer viewing, bring out a NIB version from a secure storage area when making a sale, and trust insurance will handle looting of disabled weapons if necessary. 

Seems reasonable to me.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
I have a feeling they now take the firing pins or bolts out of the display models and keep them locked up. 

Just contemplating how I'd handle it.  Display inoperable firearms to facilitate customer viewing, bring out a NIB version from a secure storage area when making a sale, and trust insurance will handle looting of disabled weapons if necessary. 

Seems reasonable to me.
Many moons ago I took the bolts out of my bolt action rifles and hid/stored them separately.
One reason was to keep people from stealing the rifles. Problem is I forgot where I hid two
of the bolts!  I eventually found them, but just try to find a M1917 Enfield rifle bolt for sale.

Inspector

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »
Many moons ago I took the bolts out of my bolt action rifles and hid/stored them separately.
One reason was to keep people from stealing the rifles. Problem is I forgot where I hid two
of the bolts!  I eventually found them, but just try to find a M1917 Enfield rifle bolt for sale.
When I first moved to Oahu I found a spotting scope for $40 on Craigs List. When I went to the guy’s house I bought the scope and a Ruger 10/22 that couldn’t fit into his safe. So he took the bolt out and lost it. I got it for $50. Good times!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

QUIETShooter

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »

I did this exact same thing years ago.  Took me a while to remember where the hell I hid it.  Just this past week I didn't want to take my excess mags to the range so I temporarily hid them in a plastic bag at home.

Came home and had to think real hard to figure where the damn things were hidden.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2020, 12:22:38 PM »
Get a hidden folder on your phone and write it down.  Then don't lose your phone.  I bought my first cell phone in 1990.  A Panasonic monstrosity that had a cord and handset for $1300 and cell time cost 55 cents a minute on Honolulu Cellular.  In 30 years I never lost or damaged a phone.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »
Get a hidden folder on your phone and write it down.  Then don't lose your phone.  I bought my first cell phone in 1990.  A Panasonic monstrosity that had a cord and handset for $1300 and cell time cost 55 cents a minute on Honolulu Cellular.  In 30 years I never lost or damaged a phone.

Better yet, take pictures on your phone.  If you have cloud storage, you can usually create encrypted folders, and you can access them from almost any device if you lose your phone.
 Murphy says your phone will be lost, stolen, destroyed or "accidentally" wiped by entering the unlock code 3 times (ala Mueller's investigators' phones  :wtf:).

Either that, or get a small fire safe for the mags, bolts, P80s and stripped receivers.  Those safes can be placed out of sight behind a bedroom door or in a closet if you can't find a hiding place.  Regardless, you'll probably remember where the safe is!   :rofl:

Make sure to bolt it down so Kimo can't carry it off!

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
Even better than that, be like maksak..

You know, don't own any guns or ammo.

Inspector

« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »
I’m trying not to be a hoarder. I have plenty of supplies and food in case I don’t feel the need to go to the grocery store and Costco for a few months. But after what I went through with the TP/Paper Towel/tissue/water panic buying causing a shortage that I had to deal with due to my move. I came very close to not having any TP. I can’t help but want to buy one more package of TP and Paper Towels and water.....
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

tim808

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »
I’m mainly just stocking up on 22lr since my stockpile did not take into account my family getting into shooting

I’m learning how to reload.  I should have more than enough reloading components for 9mm and 223 to last 5 years for my range needs.

Have more toys and mags than I need. 

I thought trump was going to be ousted - and I vote republican - so I’ve been accumulating firearm/ammo stuff for a while.  BLM and covid did throw me a curve as I was planning to buy a lot of 22 in the first half of 2020.  They caused shortages earlier than I expected.  The family taking up shooting only made it worse.  Oh well, the family taking up shooting is a “nice“ problem to deal with.

Inspector - after covid, I think everyone picks up extra tp.  Better to have and not need.   We have like 2-3 months supply.  But honestly, a handheld shower head works in a pinch. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:57:36 PM by tim808 »