Pistol Safe (Read 1911 times)

pukas84

Pistol Safe
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »
Looking for a safe that can hold 3 pistols.  Basically trying to prevent my kids from getting to it.  But also be able to quickly open it in case of an emergency.  What safes worked for you.  Biometric, key, etc.  Thank you.

changemyoil66

Re: Pistol Safe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
I know guys who bought the digital Costco/Sams small safes.  It's not really marketed toward guns, but it works.  And they usually have in stock.

The only pistol safe that I have can fit about 2 pistols and is 5 finger touch pad code. Got it from Young Guns. Gun Vault, Mini Vault.  Planned on using it at work, when needing to leave and grab lunch.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
There are quick access pistol BOXES, and quick access pistol SAFES.

The boxes are not intended to protect against a thief.  It just keeps the people in the home you don't want to have access -- kids, visitors, your kid's friends -- from having easy access.  People who choose these often put their pistols in a real safe when they aren't at home to prevent theft.

The safes are better built and would keep a thief from easily breaking into the storage device.  I have a couple of these from FAS1:

http://www.fas1safe.com/

This safe is made of super-heavy steel (3/16" thick, or 7 gauge) and has a mechanical lock that prevents the problems associated with electronic keypad systems.  You can order different sizes depending on you needs.

While they do sell larger safes for suppressed handguns and shorty shotguns that might fit 3 handguns, I purchased multiple regular size safes.  That way I can have guns in different rooms throughout -- secure and easy to access.

I believe Fort Knox brand also carries something similar.

The optional key lock lets you open the safe without the combo, or you can lock out the safe's keypad entry completely.  The lock-out feature might be useful to prevent kids from guessing the combo while you're not at home.

There are much cheaper options out there, but if you really want reliable and quick access, a mechanical lock would be my recommendation.  Electronic locks have a tendency to not work when you really need them to, either from a dead battery or failed components.  And, if you intend to leave the pistols in the container all the time, you should consider a heavy duty product -- not something that's going to give someone with a screwdriver and hammer access in a few minutes.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »
This channel is pretty helpful, came across it since I'm in the market for a quick access box/safe. From what I've seen, the cheaper Chinese ones are fairly easy to break into (as you would expect), but that might suit your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBVJ0f6fB6LgCU_A-tAetqg

aaronc5362

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 04:05:21 AM »
Kinda off topic but i seen these cool "hide in plain sight" gun safes. Looks like a mantelpiece or living room table. Kinda pricey depending what you want.

Most need to be unlocked via key, magnet, or by depressing levers. Kinda like the presidents desk from national treasure 2. Lol

Google:

Concealment furniture
Or
Wall mounted gun safes

Theres also finger biometric locks you can install on already owned furniture

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
Looking for a safe that can hold 3 pistols.  Basically trying to prevent my kids from getting to it.  But also be able to quickly open it in case of an emergency.  What safes worked for you.  Biometric, key, etc.  Thank you.
How old are your kids?  No personal experience, but I've heard many stories of kids defeating many of the safes/boxes with codes.  As well as with locks.  I've gotten to my dad's guns when I was younger though.  He stored them in a locked file cabinet and I got to the key.  He stored them unloaded and I never messed with them. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »
Kinda off topic but i seen these cool "hide in plain sight" gun safes. Looks like a mantelpiece or living room table. Kinda pricey depending what you want.

Most need to be unlocked via key, magnet, or by depressing levers. Kinda like the presidents desk from national treasure 2. Lol

Google:

Concealment furniture
Or
Wall mounted gun safes

Theres also finger biometric locks you can install on already owned furniture
I would never call those "safes".

Those furniture concealment options are tempting for a lot of reasons, but the thing I wonder is:  how many thieves know what those items look like and how to operate them (or break into them?)?  The people selling these don't seem to have a vast array of designs.  They all look pretty similar.

The only one I would consider would be the wall mirror.  Holds more, and much less obvious.  But, the model I'd buy requires cutting into the wall to make it flush mounted.  The floating shelves might be difficult to spot as gun storage in a rush, but the more popular these become, the less secure they may be.

If you have kids, I'm doubtful those solutions qualify as proper gun storage containers.

-- Melvin Udall

pukas84

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »
How old are your kids?  No personal experience, but I've heard many stories of kids defeating many of the safes/boxes with codes.  As well as with locks.  I've gotten to my dad's guns when I was younger though.  He stored them in a locked file cabinet and I got to the key.  He stored them unloaded and I never messed with them.

My kids are 16 and 11.  The 16 year old doesn't care about my guns and shows no interest, my 11 year old does.  Was just asking me last night how do you load ammo into the magazine.  That got me kind of scared.....might have to bring my guns to work until I get a safe.

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 01:30:52 PM »
My kids are 16 and 11.  The 16 year old doesn't care about my guns and shows no interest, my 11 year old does.  Was just asking me last night how do you load ammo into the magazine.  That got me kind of scared.....might have to bring my guns to work until I get a safe.
Gotcha.  Many folks have told me that if you take some of the mystery/wonder about the guns, the kids aren't as likely to try to get into them.  I don't know about that, but a session to teach and take them shooting might help.  Firearms safety, teaching respect for the firearm, etc. 

If you could use some gun locks, I have some that came with guns that I've never used.  If you could use them, lmk.  They are the cable ones that you can loop through action. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »

That's the down side of having anything that requires a key to open.  At some point, that key will be accessible without you knowing.  Or, someone will be able to pick it.  Lots of videos online teaching lock picking.

Then there's the problem of more than one person having access.  The more people with access, the more copies of the keys floating around.  That provides even more opportunities for keys to fall into the wrong hands.

I have a key bypass on my handgun quick-access safes.  The keys are kept in my long gun safe secured with a dial lock.

There are lock boxes available that open with the use of RFID chips, too.  I see no real difference between chips and keys other than the chips being slightly faster to use.  The chips can still fall into the wrong hands.

If you think you're sneakier than your kids, put a hidden camera in your bedroom.  Then go back and see how many things you thought were well hidden your kids get into.   :shake:
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »
Gotcha.  Many folks have told me that if you take some of the mystery/wonder about the guns, the kids aren't as likely to try to get into them.  I don't know about that, but a session to teach and take them shooting might help.  Firearms safety, teaching respect for the firearm, etc. 

If you could use some gun locks, I have some that came with guns that I've never used.  If you could use them, lmk.  They are the cable ones that you can loop through action.

That would be my response to curiosity as well.  The mystery and awe surrounding anything is what drives curiosity.  Familiarization with guns breeds comfort and respect if done properly.

I purchased good quality dummy rounds for all my calibers.  I used them to teach my kids how to safely load, operate and unload my guns.  So, if they ever happen across a loaded gun at home or elsewhere, they know not to touch it.  If other kids want to touch it, they know how to take control, safely handle it and have someone go get an adult rather than carry it around.

Fear of guns can also be reduced this way.  The unknown causes fear.

One of my 2 girls was interested in going to the range, and the other not at all.  Range time helps them practice what I taught at home with the dummy ammo.  It also increases respect for the destructive power a gun represents.

It's a process.  Start with the 4 main firearm rules, and have them practice that with an unloaded gun or a training replica.  The more they practice, the more it sinks in.  Less likely to have accidents with proper training.

Just like the right to bear arms... You don't carry because of the things you know will happen.  You carry because of the things you can't predict will happen.  That applies to kids and guns, too.  Teach them to be safe, and you won't have to worry as much about "which safe?".
-- Melvin Udall

aaronc5362

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 03:33:21 PM »
I would never call those "safes".

Those furniture concealment options are tempting for a lot of reasons, but the thing I wonder is:  how many thieves know what those items look like and how to operate them (or break into them?)?  The people selling these don't seem to have a vast array of designs.  They all look pretty similar.

The only one I would consider would be the wall mirror.  Holds more, and much less obvious.  But, the model I'd buy requires cutting into the wall to make it flush mounted.  The floating shelves might be difficult to spot as gun storage in a rush, but the more popular these become, the less secure they may be.

If you have kids, I'm doubtful those solutions qualify as proper gun storage containers.

Lol yeah i totally agree with you. I have 1 safe and 2 gun cabinets now.

Sorry ...

DocMercy

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 06:55:52 PM »
(Typical gun) safe is made of super-heavy steel (3/16" thick, or 7 gauge) and has a mechanical lock that prevents the problems associated with electronic keypad systems.  You can order different sizes depending on you needs.

Examples like Vaultek can be secured to the floor with hidden screws. May not be feasible for stone floors or new hardwood floors that you paid mucho bucks to install. With a carpeted floor, this would not be an aesthetic concern. No safe is really secure if it can be easily removed from your premises.