Reloading 7.62x39 (Read 4493 times)

flaboy808

Reloading 7.62x39
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
So I finally got my hands on an AK and surprise surprise, the ammo is not as cheap as it used to be.  A couple of the shops are saying it's not even worth reloading 7.62x39.  Maybe they were saying  steel cases aren't worth reloading but I did see 7.62x39 brass for sale.  It's gotta be worth it then right?
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

Inspector

Re: Reloading 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Like anything these days the answer to your question is it depends.

An AK and the ammo design is not the most accurate combination out there. Some calibers are not worth reloading if all you want to do is lower your cost of shooting. The 7.62x39 round can probably be purchased cheaper or at a comparable price to what you can reload it for. Especially the steel cased ammo.

So it really depends on what your goals for reloading are. If you are keeping the AK pretty stock and you intend to take it out and blast away a few hundred rounds every time I wouldn't bother reloading. Ammo supplies are starting to slowly come back and prices are slowly dropping back down. Though as what happened last time you will not see the same prices that you did before this shortage. If history repeats itself the prices will settle at a higher level than before the election. The 7.62x39 round is probably the most mass produced round in the world next to .22. So it is logical that you should be able to buy if fairly cheaply after the shortages end. The prices for reloading components are very high at the moment and will come down eventually. So to reload this caliber at the same price you can buy cheap ammo for does not make sense.

If you want to try and ring every bit of accuracy out of your AK then it might make sense to reload if you have the time and money to do so. While you could probably reload for a slightly better price than buying steel cased ammo, if you want to reload for accuracy you need to buy quality components and that costs money. So it will cost a lot more to reload in this case. But then you get the benefits of the more accurate or powerful round. Now, if you ever want to build an AR with a heavy 7.62x39 barrel you might just have yourself a tack driver. You will probably want to reload in this case.

Now, you could start reloading for fun and for other calibers. It makes sense to reload for price purposes for .357 Mag or .338 Lapua. There is something else you might to consider. Generally speaking if you reload and purchase bullets, powder, primers and cases in bulk (during non shortage years) you will probably have a good hedge against price increases in ammo. Of course the same could be said for buying ammo in bulk (during non shortage years) as a hedge against price increases. And if we ever experience another shortage of ammo you could be sitting pretty.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

RKBA

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
That's a question only you can answer. Whenever I decide to load a new caliber, I factor in the cost of loaded ammo versus the cost of dies, shell plates, and other reloading tools. Then I add the cost of components. At what point do you break even? After 1,000 rounds? After 5,000 rounds? Are you planning on shooting it that much? For example when I priced out loading 9mm a year ago, the extra tools I needed cost about $150. Components to reload 9mm was about $160 a case since I already had the brass. A case of store bought ammo was around $300. So for me, I broke even just loading 1,000 rounds of 9mm. Complete no brainer for me because I normally shoot that much in a few months.

So I suggest you do the math and figure out if it makes it worth it for you.  :thumbsup:

flaboy808

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I'm going to think about it some more.
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

crazy cat

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
AKs ruin cases.  As the case ejects, it hits the sharp edge of the receiver cover and gets a big longitudinal dent about 2/3s of the way down.  You can probably get away with reloading them once, but any more than that, and you're just begging for a case separation.

OTOH, I used to load for an AK, and got 1 1/2 minute groups without any trouble at all.  And this was with a stamped receiver Norinco with a folding stock.

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
Lapua makes 7.62x39 brass.  I would run that in an AK tho.   ;)

I have seen bolt guns that where chambered in this caliber, on a precision shooting forum.  The guy got some good accuracy out of it.  He uses it to hunt deer with the proper projectile.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
Started reloading steel cases out of curiosity with great success.
Using Hornady A-Max 123gr. Cases are berdan. Using cci large rifle primers
And taking out the anvil.

But I using them in an AR
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

flaboy808

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
Started reloading steel cases out of curiosity with great success.
Using Hornady A-Max 123gr. Cases are berdan. Using cci large rifle primers
And taking out the anvil.

But I using them in an AR

Just curious... how many times can you reuse the steel cases you think?

SpeedTek

• View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
I only used them once.  But I will try make some
With twice fired cases.

flyboy

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
If your going to reload 7.62x39 I know where  to get  once fired cases on the island unprocessed

flyboy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
Once. Fired. Brass cases 

K30l4

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »
Is there a significant cost to attain these once fired brass?

flyboy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
Yea I just checked on the once fired brass looks like they sold it all sorry but still got  some 50 cal and 50 cal blanks  once fired brass all the 7.62x39 and  7.62x51 is gone sorry I should of checked before I said anything again sorry

SpeedTek

• View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
I been buying used 762x39 brass for .25 each
Boxer primed.