Wise Foods (Read 8960 times)

flaboy808

Wise Foods
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
Found this interesting article about Wise Foods.  The research was paid for by Mountain House but it was an independent lab so take it for what it's worth.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2012/07/12/mountain-house-educates-consumers-on-the-presence-of-high-oxygen-content-in-competitors-products/

I did want to mention that I have Wise products but may need to rethink it a little now.
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Wise Foods
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
If. It that the sodium content will kill some of us.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

1422LR

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
I checked MH and WF and both to me were expensive.

Why not just buy canned foods etc., and just rotate them?

I went to Costco and bought a 24 cs Cup a noodle for $7.39, that's about .30 a serving.  Sure also high in sodium, but, so what I'm still living. 24 servings.

That same $7.39 would barely buy 2 servings from MH.

At a local store I bought a can of Taco Bell re-fried beans for .49,  with rice I could serve probably 3 persons.  14 cans (28servings) vs 1 or 2 servings of MH and WF.
Sardines go for less than a dollar, they expire 2017, serves 2 with rice.

Just my 2cents.  I'm on a very tight budget.

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Sardines packed in oil rock!  Get the flavored ones too (pepper, chili, lime) so some variety.  Good stuff.  Just like tuna packed in oil.  Long shelf live.  The cup o noodles and the like can go rancid if sitting too long.
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

1422LR

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »
I also pack white rice (40lbs) in an air tight containers, won't last forever but it's cheap and shoyu.

If foreign countries can live only with shoyu fried rice, so can I.  It's for deep emergencies better than starving.

Then with $20.00 you get 1 20lb bag of rice and maybe 1 gal of shoyu, oodles of servings vs about 3 from MH and WF.  Definitely not the best, but not starving.

I've eaten MH, they are very good I love it, but the value per serving scares me.

I went to a Mormon prep showing and had some Wise food there, the entre that I ate was OK, signed up for a home showing but I didn't make it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:12:11 AM by 1422LR »

Kingkeoni

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
Sardines packed in oil rock!  Get the flavored ones too (pepper, chili, lime) so some variety.  Good stuff.  Just like tuna packed in oil.  Long shelf live.  The cup o noodles and the like can go rancid if sitting too long.

Tuna packed in water tends to last longer.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

808shooter

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »
Let the prepper food wars begin

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
"get both"  :D   I may have reversed it but thought the oil packed was longer, got the water too.  Check them dates again!  But get some.
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Q

>:D
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:56:41 PM by Q »

1422LR

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
I have not have much success with canning.

I don't do true canning say like pickled mangoes. etc., but I have tried a food saver on mason jars for grains etc., and after a few months many fail and break the seal. IDK why.

At the Mormon food prep showing that I went too I was impressed with a solar dryer, the exhibitor had meat and fruits and they all tasted very good.  When I first saw the meat I asked "smoked?"  He answered "no it's dried."  I was was impressed. 

FATMANWA

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
The problem I have with this "study" is the fact that it was paid for by Mountain House. Always a red flag when competitors pay for the study. Second, if the study is true, the article did not address how much actual oxygen was in the bag. Yes it says 18.5%, but how many atmosphears was it? Did the MH stuff have more air in the bag than the Wise food? That could throw off results very easily. I would like to see the actual results for this study to make a real judgment on what products would be best for me. Like many said, this stuff is expensive, so I want the most bang for the buck. right now I am doing canned food that I rotate, but would like longer term stuff at my next duty station. Would really love to get into canning.

1422LR

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
I think the best would be to get a bit of everything.

My main stock is white rice, brown will not store, and my family don't like white rice, me neither, diabetic, so when rotating I feed them to the birds, and I hope to trap them and eat them if need be.

Next biggest is canned foods which I purchase when they are in a deep discount, like Treet, nobody likes it but it gets real cheap, better than starving.  Chef Boyardee, another cheapie.
The thing is with research I found that you can store canned foods WELL past their expiration date, as long as the can is not bulging, and some sources were saying that some canned food from the civil war was still edible. 

I also have military rations, they look bulky with all the added assortments, and some canned grains. 

For deep emergencies I heard (and have) that peanut butter and honey will last almost forever.

And lastly I have a gun, I'll eat dog and cat if I have too.

Q

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:51:09 PM by Q »

1422LR

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
I can see myself on the beach under the shade and placing a pinch of that pemmican near my gums and just savoring the flavor.
Thanks.

flaboy808

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

And lastly I have a gun, I'll eat dog and cat if I have too.

Well, the last report from the Humane Society(?) did indicate about 300,000 feral cats in Hawaii.  At least we'll have fresh meat.   ;D
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

flaboy808

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
Yeah, the food saver is becoming a worthless investment on my part as well; nothing stays sealed over long time.

Thanks for the info.  I've been wanting a food saver for awhile now but maybe not.  Always get caught up in those infomercials.

macsak

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
i always smile when i think of a friend from high school (now dead) that had a cat named "manapua"

Well, the last report from the Humane Society(?) did indicate about 300,000 feral cats in Hawaii.  At least we'll have fresh meat.   ;D

Q

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:52:34 PM by Q »

Kingkeoni

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:28 AM »
i always smile when i think of a friend from high school (now dead) that had a cat named "manapua"

That's what happens when you eat cats.  :o
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

1422LR

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »
Here's a headline from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/09/china.animals/index.html

Inside the cat and dog meat market in China

This isn't a pet store -- it's a meat market in Guangzhou, a city in southern China where eating cats and dogs is common practice.
Eating dog meat is a long-standing culinary tradition not just in China, but also Korea. Cat meat can be found on the menu in China, Vietnam and even parts of South America.
The Chinese government has signaled a willingness to take the meat off the market.

To avoid upsetting international visitors during the Beijing Olympics, officials ordered dog meat off the menus at local markets.

Officials in Guangzhou have warned vendors to stop selling it ahead of the Asian Games which will be held there later this year.