Ammo Shortage on the Mainland? (Read 13708 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Ammo Shortage on the Mainland?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
Lol what are you smoking! From all that useless ammo you purchased! you could of bought more ammo , another gun or get some training!

Yep.  Two is one ....

If you have a "ton" of 9mm, and only have one 9mm firearm, you're just daring Murphy's Law to cause your lone 9mm firearm to break.

Also, if you're counting on "coming across" another weapon, why not have a case of ammo for that gun?  You seem to base your contingency plan for a broken gun on finding a non-9mm gun for with you have at least a few rds, AS WELL AS "coming across" someone with a 9mm you can actually "hijack" -- as if that person is not able to defend themselves and is ALONE.  Having only 5-10 rds to match a "found" gun says you don't believe the odds of finding it are likely.

I imagine this strategy works great in your video games.  :rofl:  :geekdanc:

What happens when that other person with a 9mm firearm finds you before you find another gun and decides to liberate you from all that useless 9mm ammo?   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:20:28 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
Lol what are you smoking! From all that useless ammo you purchased! you could of bought more ammo , another gun or get some training!
What makes you think I bought that ammo?  I have a few 30-30, .308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .270 Win, 44 Mag,  38 Spec and a few more from guns I owned in the past.  Less than 7 lbs total and all in a small box not taking up much space.  Some I only have 2 rds, but I am not going to buy any.  You have no idea how much training, guns or ammo I have.  Having a FEW rds of ammo even for guns you DON'T have is suggested by several doomsday survival books and also recommended by Dr Piazza of Front Sight in one of his writings. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
I would have assumed the ammo would be to barter with. Box 45 for food. Not box 45 for box 9, cause u could have just bought a box of 9 yourself.

Or buy spare parts for ur only handgun or another 9mm handgun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 05:03:34 PM »
Yep.  Two is one ....

If you have a "ton" of 9mm, and only have one 9mm firearm, you're just daring Murphy's Law to cause your lone 9mm firearm to break.

Also, if you're counting on "coming across" another weapon, why not have a case of ammo for that gun?  You seem to base your contingency plan for a broken gun on finding a non-9mm gun for with you have at least a few rds, AS WELL AS "coming across" someone with a 9mm you can actually "hijack" -- as if that person is not able to defend themselves and is ALONE.  Having only 5-10 rds to match a "found" gun says you don't believe the odds of finding it are likely.

I imagine this strategy works great in your video games.  :rofl:  :geekdanc:

What happens when that other person with a 9mm firearm finds you before you find another gun and decides to liberate you from all that useless 9mm ammo?   :popcorn:
I don't play video games and I have "tons" of ammo for the most common weapons you will find, 223/5.56 , 9MM and .22LR.  I don't need tons of ammo for stuff I don't have.  And if you would read what I said earlier, the sole purpose of having a few rds in common calibers is to have an operating weapon to help you acquire the weapon you want.  But in an end of the world situation, most likely someone would just kill the person who had what they wanted instead of trying to hijack it from them. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
I don't play video games and I have "tons" of ammo for the most common weapons you will find, 223/5.56 , 9MM and .22LR.  I don't need tons of ammo for stuff I don't have.  And if you would read what I said earlier, the sole purpose of having a few rds in common calibers is to have an operating weapon to help you acquire the weapon you want.  But in an end of the world situation, most likely someone would just kill the person who had what they wanted instead of trying to hijack it from them.

Your end of the world scenario is based on what?

So, how many "common calibers" do you stockpile 5-10 rds? 

I guess there would be no need for 10 rd capacity limits in the apocalypse if all you have are 5-10 rds of any given caliber.   :rofl:

Do you think 5-10 rds is enough to get a replacement for a broken firearm, or for that matter to avoid being killed, if someone with more than 100 rds with a working firearm wants your ammo?

I still don't understand how having a small amount of AMMO for weapon you have not "come across" is beneficial.  Is it your belief that weapons of "common calibers" will be abundant in the future apocalypse simply based on them being "common" now?

Large groups will hoard any weapons they "come across" for survival, either to use against threats, to take what they want, or trade for what they need.

Tell you what.  Forget everything I posted above.  You do that.  I'm sure you'll be fine if/when your only firearm for your ammo stash breaks.  I'll even loan you a gun myself.  Just send word that you have lots of ammo and no firearm for it, and I'll be right over!   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:13:01 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »

I guess there would be no need for 10 rd capacity limits in the apocalypse if all you have are 5-10 rds of any given caliber.   :rofl:

Do you think 5-10 rds is enough to get a replacement for a broken firearm, or for that matter to avoid being killed, if someone with more than 100 rds with a working firearm wants your ammo?

I still don't understand how having a small amount of AMMO for weapon you have not "come across" is beneficial.  Is it your belief that weapons of "common calibers" will be abundant in the future apocalypse simply based on them being "common" now?
You are too stupid and argumentative to have further discussion.  I learned a long time ago not to argue with stupid people.  Good night.

Heavies

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »
What's the deal with arguing about how someone decides they want to prep?   :crazy:

Platinum808

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
What makes you think I bought that ammo?  I have a few 30-30, .308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .270 Win, 44 Mag,  38 Spec and a few more from guns I owned in the past.  Less than 7 lbs total and all in a small box not taking up much space.  Some I only have 2 rds, but I am not going to buy any.  You have no idea how much training, guns or ammo I have.  Having a FEW rds of ammo even for guns you DON'T have is suggested by several doomsday survival books and also recommended by Dr Piazza of Front Sight in one of his writings.

So you will be leaving the safety of your home with these random/extra weight Ammo in case you find another gun because your gun is some how unreliable when shit hits the fan!  :wtf: :wtf:

Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 06:21:01 PM »
My nephew texted me last night. He said he was needing some 5.56 in order to continue practice. I told him not to, but he did anyway. He bought 1,000 rounds of steel cased 5.56 for, wait for it, wait for it some more, just wait some more, ready?, okay, here goes he paid $365 including shipping.  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I looked and 2 hours before he purchased the same ammo on the same site it was priced at $250/1,000. I didn’t look the day before but I suspect it was probably around $200. Let the gouging begin.
Yikes. I’m getting flashbacks from 2012-2013. Right around when I put together an AR to test with crappy ammo, like Tula. Then the price went up to like $330-350/1000. It was more than I was paying for 193. I haven’t been shooting 5.55-.223 as much recently, but I wouldn’t pay $365/1000 for 193 unless I really had to.

I saw some steel cases .223 at places like Aim and another and I want to say it was around 200-230/1000.

Hope .22 LE doesn’t do that. :(

Platinum808

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »

Large groups will hoard any weapons they "come across" for survival, either to use against threats, to take what they want, or trade for what they need.

Tell you what.  Forget everything I posted above.  You do that.  I'm sure you'll be fine if/when your only firearm for your ammo stash breaks.  I'll even loan you a gun myself.  Just send word that you have lots of ammo and no firearm for it, and I'll be right over!   :thumbsup:
The few rounds for when you need to Seppuku! With your enemies gun because your turd broke! :rofl: :rofl:
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

RSN172

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:17 PM »
What's the deal with arguing about how someone decides they want to prep?   :crazy:
Because we are blessed with a few who are world class experts on every subject known to man who know the absolute best way to do anything.

Phazuka

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »
If anyone here knows how much ammo they have, IT'S NOT ENOUGH!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:48:34 AM by Phazuka »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
You are too stupid and argumentative to have further discussion.  I learned a long time ago not to argue with stupid people.  Good night.

I said do whatever you want.  That's me NOT ARGUING.

You're too stupid to tell an argument from agreement.   :crazy:
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 08:58:15 PM »
Because we are blessed with a few who are world class experts on every subject known to man who know the absolute best way to do anything.
Now why are you bringing me into this?

hvybarrels

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 10:12:39 PM »
Another thread destroyed by Coronavirus.  :'(
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Inspector

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:09 AM »
I have my .22 being delivered to my new house. I will need some powder, primers and Macsak Heads. I don’t see a run on that stuff yet. I’m trying to remain calm because I won’t allow myself to get caught with nothing again.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2020, 07:36:28 AM »
I have my .22 being delivered to my new house. I will need some powder, primers and Macsak Heads. I don’t see a run on that stuff yet. I’m trying to remain calm because I won’t allow myself to get caught with nothing again.
You want Macsak Heads? :P

I hear ya.  Unfortunate timing for me as well, but interruption of what is essentially a hobby, at least for me.

11 lbs of .22 lr is quite a bit, no?  Mostly kidding, but some serious. . .

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:30 AM »
Now why are you bringing me into this?
If the subject was revolvers. . .  :geekdanc:

Inspector

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »
You want Macsak Heads? :P

I hear ya.  Unfortunate timing for me as well, but interruption of what is essentially a hobby, at least for me.

11 lbs of .22 lr is quite a bit, no?  Mostly kidding, but some serious. . .
Eleven pounds is only 2.5 bricks or 1250 rounds. Not much. But I have already sold all my .22 because I am moving my and suitcases are going to be heavy to begin with. Also, it bugs the fuck out of me that the feds feel the need to check my luggage to make sure I’m not carrying 11 pounds 1 ounce of ammo so they can confiscate it. I just ordered over 5,000 rounds to be delivered to my new house. I have 3300 rounds of SV and 2500 rounds of HV coming. Flat shipping on the mainland is between $14-$20.

I probably won’t be able to get SD ammo when I arrive so I’ll need to make my own until things die down. But at least I can and I know how.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 08:04:15 AM »
If the subject was revolvers. . .  :geekdanc:

was at LGS yesterday, 556 sold out.  44mag, 357 still had plenty.
revolvers win again!    :geekdanc: