A potent pair of pocket pistols (Read 6233 times)

Kingkeoni

A potent pair of pocket pistols
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
I decided to review a couple of my favorite back up guns.

North American Arms has been making diminutive revolvers for quite some time now.

http://northamericanarms.com/

They're currently made in 22 short, 22 long, 22 long rifle and 22 magnum.

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms.html

While there's over a dozen models, I've decided to review the 22 magnum "Pug" model and the brand new "sidewinder" model.

Both of these guns are chambered in 22 magnum.

Since this is a backup "last ditch" gun, I will be doing all my shooting at 21 feet or less.

As far as fit and finish goes, NAA knows their stuff.

Both guns are very well built, solid and good looking.

Every NAA revolver I've ever handled though was excellent.

I decided to replace the wood grips with some that provided a little more "grippyness"

While the wood ones do work and the 22 magnum is a mild recoiling round, my big hands feel much better with a little more real estate to hold on to.

Sidewinder:
Caliber: 22 Magnum Rimfire
Cylinder Capacity: 5
Barrel Length 1"
Length: 5"
Height: 2 7/8"
Width 1 1/16"
Weight: 6.7 oz.
Sights: Stainless Steel Post.

Pug
Caliber: 22 Magnum Rimfire
Capacity:   5
Barrel Length   1"
Length: 4 1/2"
Height: 2 3/4"
Width   7/8"
Weight Unloaded   6.4 oz
Sights: XS Big Dot Tritium Front Post

Enjoy the pics of the guns for now, I'll post shooting results as soon as I shoot them...

Shooting results and impressions

I shot the little revolvers at 5 and 7 yards.

They both shot better than expected for such tiny guns.

Grip was more solid with the larger rubber grip as expected but both were very manageable.

I shot CCI Maxi Mag 40gr JHP & Winchester 40gr FMJ.

Both of these little revolvers shot point of aim at 5 yards but both shot kind of high at 7 yards.

Either way, they delivered thoracic cavity hits.

The PUG has the XS big dot sight while the Sidewinder has a metal post.

While the XS sight will be extremely useful in low light and dark areas, the metal post seemed a little more easy to see in the light.

As a BUG, I'd definitely carry these little guns.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:27:09 PM by Kingkeoni »
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Heavies

Re: A potent pair of pocket pistols
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
Sounds like a superb review in the works!  Can't wait.

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Hey KK,

I would like to make a suggestion when you title these articles. I appreciate your efforts and I look forward to the results you come up with. Just so we can easily find this review a few months or a year from now I would like to suggest you also place the manufacturer name and caliber in the title. It would be nice if I could refer back to your article easily and it would be easier with something like: A potent pair of North American Arms .22 WMR Pocket Pistols.

Thanks for listening.  :shaka:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
You want to see KK's pocket pistol? It's not going to look any better in a year from now.  :rofl:
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

Jl808

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
Looks interesting KK.

Those must be single action, right? How hard is it to accidentally cock the hammer and pull the trigger?

If you shoved it in your pocket, is there a possibility of an accidental discharge?
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

macsak

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
that's what she said

Those must be single action, right? How hard is it to accidentally cock the hammer and pull the trigger?

If you shoved it in your pocket, is there a possibility of an accidental discharge?

Jl808

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

new guy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:53:51 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

dirsh

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
You want to see KK's pocket pistol? It's not going to look any better in a year from now.  :rofl:

:rofl:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Kingkeoni

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »
Shooting results posted in original post
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:32:25 PM by Kingkeoni »
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Hey KK,

I would like to make a suggestion when you title these articles. I appreciate your efforts and I look forward to the results you come up with. Just so we can easily find this review a few months or a year from now I would like to suggest you also place the manufacturer name and caliber in the title. It would be nice if I could refer back to your article easily and it would be easier with something like: A potent pair of North American Arms .22 WMR Pocket Pistols.

Thanks for listening.  :shaka:

I agree.

This is why I asked for a dedicated review section, so I could easily find reviews a few months or years later.

I'll try to be less colorful in my titles going forward.

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
I agree.

This is why I asked for a dedicated review section, so I could easily find reviews a few months or years later.

I'll try to be less colorful in my titles going forward.
Thanks for this. I appreciate your efforts and I respect your opinion. I wouldn't have made the suggestion otherwise.  :thumbsup:

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
I dunno, bruddah Inspector... I kinda dig the alliteration-thing KK's got going on with the title.

Only way KK could have made it better, imho, would have been to title it, "A provocative preview of a particularly potent pair of practical-yet-piquant pint-sized pocket pistols"

But that's just me, I guess...
Okay, while I would normally disagree, I love the title. You definitely have a way with words. That title would make me want to read the article, that's for sure.  :) :) :)

sager

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »
-snip-

Both of these little revolvers shot point of aim at 5 yards but both shot kind of high at 7 yards.

-snip-

Might this be because of an angled bore axis?
Sager
NRA Life Member

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."
General George S. Patton