Anyone use cross draw holster? (Read 13575 times)

robtmc

Anyone use cross draw holster?
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
Figured it was way past time to make sure any pistol I may get were equipped with suitable holsters that I could use easily.

After some experimentation, I found decades of abuse to my shoulders (rotator cuff stuff) have gotten me quite stiff.  Pulling a firearm clear of the holster with it at 3-3:30 was an exercise in creaking stiffness discovery.  Doable, but no way would i clear the holster with alacrity.  No tacticool leg drop stuff, in case we ever get CCW.

A long time ago, I had a 1911 with a Bianchi holster that could be mounted for cross draw.  It was quite comfortable wearing it wandering the SoCal mountain back country (before modern hysteria).

Thinking again about that to deal with my bum shoulders and lack of flexibilty.  I know there are issues with crossdraw and an assailant trying to pin you, etc.

Any thoughts from y'all that have experimented?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:55:01 PM by robtmc »

zippz

Re: Anyone use crass draw holster?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Also look into thigh holsters and those that sit lower on the hip.  Appendix carry too.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:35:28 PM »
I think that's one reason some opt for appendix carry. The less you have to move your elbow to the rear, the easier on the shoulder joints.

Figure out where on your body the holster would be easiest to reach and draw from, and there is probably a holster made for that location.  It may be you just need to move the holster forward a few inches to avoid the discomfort.  If that spot is good for CCW, then a regular holster might be fine.

Small of the back is an option, too. Your elbow is to the side versus to the rear when drawing, so it's less twisty on the shoulder.  Lots of articles out there on the evils of carrying there, but for some, it's the most comfortable place if your love handles are resting on a side holster.  You'll need to get one set for the opposite direction of your side holster.  Right handed draw needs a left-hand cant so the grip is to the right.

My daughter learned any style IWB holster was a pain for her, so she opted for a shoulder holster.  Basically cross draw, and a light jacket or sweater makes concealing easy in Seattle.

That might not be feasible in Hawaii, but it could work if you wear a T-shirt under an unbuttoned aloha shirt.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:16:03 AM »
I have some buddies that carry on rigs like this in backcountry Alaska. Hit me up if you’re interested in a rig like this. Probably not that great for concealement without the right attire, but seems like something that is shoulder friendly.

Don’t know much at all about cross draw holsters, but in have some contacts with those that promote those. No personal experience with them though.

I assumed a bunch of LE used to carry with leather cross draw back in the day. But maybe too much Miami Vice. Haha.

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 06:03:09 AM »
I had shoulder surgery and now have limited range of motion too.
When I use a holster designed for behind-the-hip carry, I bend at the waist, forward-left about 45 degrees or more.
This makes the draw stroke much easier. It also puts you into a natural weight-forward aggressive shooting stance.

Beyond that, a Miami Vice shoulder rig is an extremely comfortable and practical way to CC a gun and lots of spare ammo and you don't even have to wear pants. You just need a light wind breaker jacket.

Another great option is a fanny pack holster. It is perfectly suitable for local style shorts, t-shirt, rubber slipper attire.
What, Me Worry?

zippz

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 06:56:59 AM »
Something to consider is you won't be able to take firearm classes with a crossdraw or holster on the small of your back.  Might be able to do it with appendix holster
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
Figured it was way past time to make sure any pistol I may get were equipped with suitable holsters that I could use easily.

After some experimentation, I found decades of abuse to my shoulders (rotator cuff stuff) have gotten me quite stiff.  Pulling a firearm clear of the holster with it at 3-3:30 was an exercise in creaking stiffness discovery.  Doable, but no way would i clear the holster with alacrity.  No tacticool leg drop stuff, in case we ever get CCW.

A long time ago, I had a 1911 with a Bianchi holster that could be mounted for cross draw.  It was quite comfortable wearing it wandering the SoCal mountain back country (before modern hysteria).

Thinking again about that to deal with my bum shoulders and lack of flexibilty.  I know there are issues with crossdraw and an assailant trying to pin you, etc.

Any thoughts from y'all that have experimented?

I prefer nice polite refined sophisticated careful delicate kind sensitive tactful holsters

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »

I prefer nice polite refined sophisticated careful delicate kind sensitive tactful holsters
You beat me to it :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

robtmc

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
Something to consider is you won't be able to take firearm classes with a crossdraw or holster on the small of your back.  Might be able to do it with appendix holster
Small of the back?  Hell, I can barely reach back there to scratch.

Understand the muzzle sweep aspect of cross draw, just looking for a method that works without yoga.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
You'll be amazed how little your shoulder hurts when that adrenaline starts pumping!   :shake:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Bushido

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
My "strong side" shoulder is pretty screwed from many years of playing and coaching baseball. Drawing from 4:00 even with a cant is difficult. Appendix carry is very comfortable with the right setup. 

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
My "strong side" shoulder is pretty screwed from many years of playing and coaching baseball. Drawing from 4:00 even with a cant is difficult. Appendix carry is very comfortable with the right setup.
Hmmm...appendix carry? Like this guy?  :rofl:
Ouch

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/kat-ainsworth/video-holstered-pistol-discharges-negligent-or-accident/
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Crass draw?
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
Back in the early days of IPSC shooting, crass  :rofl: draw holsters were the accepted normal.

It didn't take long for competition shooters to figure out that it was advantageous to draw straight up from your side.
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »
Ouch

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/kat-ainsworth/video-holstered-pistol-discharges-negligent-or-accident/

"The bullet penetrated the carrier’s groin in a through-and-through wound"

through and through what?

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »
"The bullet penetrated the carrier’s groin in a through-and-through wound"

through and through what?
Imagine a hot dog, microwaved on hi for 3 minutes. ..Eewww

What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
Ouch

Yikes!

My first thought was his undershirt or something else got caught up in the holster. Have seen lots of videos where that happens with the jacket cord on 3 o’clock holsters.

Reading the comments is always both informative and entertaining. Lots of good discussion and jackassery.

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
Imagine a hot dog, microwaved on hi for 3 minutes. ..Eewww
Was that the frank or the beans?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
Was that the frank or the beans?

Hopefully it hit the meat and didn't go anywhere near the hole  :rofl:

There are some rotator cuff exercises that you can do at home that may help alleviate some of the pain and stiffness.  Check with your doctor first though.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »

Hopefully it hit the meat and didn't go anywhere near the hole  :rofl:

There are some rotator cuff exercises that you can do at home that may help alleviate some of the pain and stiffness.  Check with your doctor first though.
I have rotator cuff damage from years of Judo when I was younger and also separated shoulder. Thankfully on my left side (I’m right handed). But yeah, those exercises, or similar, helped me. Key was to try to maintain the range of motion and not let things lockup. I had a friend who had frozen shoulder and needed surgery. That looked painful.