Anyone Use A Bench Mounted Piming Tool? (Read 2890 times)

Inspector

Anyone Use A Bench Mounted Piming Tool?
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
I love my RCBS hand priming tool. I have gotten to be able to prime cases quickly and without errors almost 100% of the time. But I am getting arthritis bad in my hand and fingers. Small primers are still not a problem but large rifle/pistol primers are creating a problem for me as after a few hundred my hands and joints ache a lot. The pain is starting to limit how much I can reload in a day. I am looking at buying a bench mounted priming tool and have been looking at different models.

My question is does anyone else use a bench mounted priming tool? And if so what are the benefits and down sides to using this tool? Especially compared to a hand priming tool? What brand(s) do you have?

Any information you might have is much appreciated,
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

Re: Anyone Use A Bench Mounted Piming Tool?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
I use the priming feature in my Lee single stage. I have to smack the level up to get the primers deep into the 54r cases but there's no squeezing required.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iSDJKuU6ySY/maxresdefault.jpg
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

TooFewPews

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »
I have the Lee bench tool. I love it and I would never go back to a normal hand primer unless I was forced to

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:53:23 PM »
I use the priming feature in my Lee single stage. I have to smack the level up to get the primers deep into the 54r cases but there's no squeezing required.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iSDJKuU6ySY/maxresdefault.jpg
I used to use the priming function of both my presses (RCBS Rockchucker and Lee Turret) but it is much slower and it is hard to get a good "feel" for how the primer is set. The hand primer is a lot faster and you get used to the feel of it so you set the primer properly everytime. Speed and accuracy is what I am looking for. But unfortunately, my fingers and joints suffer the consequences. I could only load 200 rounds today due to this. I usually load 4-500 large rifle rounds in a morning. If I could prime quickly and accurately without pain I could have done 4-500 rounds easily.

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
I have the Lee bench tool. I love it and I would never go back to a normal hand primer unless I was forced to
Do you find you can prime as quickly with it as you can a hand priming tool? Can you feel when the primer is "set" like with the hand priming tool? How do you feel the quality of the lee bench tool is?

Thanks!

TooFewPews

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Do you find you can prime as quickly with it as you can a hand priming tool? Can you feel when the primer is "set" like with the hand priming tool? How do you feel the quality of the lee bench tool is?

Thanks!

Yes it is faster.

I made a modification to my bench primer setup so I have very consistent seating depths. Feel is about the same, but it requires a hell of a lot less effort.

Quality is not bad. All the stress parts are metal and the plastic parts can be easily replaced.  It uses a lot of the same components as the Lee hand priming tool so it isn’t hard to get replacements. Just know that the replacement parts aren’t listed as applicable to the bench tool (since the bench tool is so new to the market), but they work. If in doubt, call Lee and they will give you the green light.

Inspector

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
Yes it is faster.

I made a modification to my bench primer setup so I have very consistent seating depths. Feel is about the same, but it requires a hell of a lot less effort.

Quality is not bad. All the stress parts are metal and the plastic parts can be easily replaced.  It uses a lot of the same components as the Lee hand priming tool so it isn’t hard to get replacements. Just know that the replacement parts aren’t listed as applicable to the bench tool (since the bench tool is so new to the market), but they work. If in doubt, call Lee and they will give you the green light.
I'm very familiar with replacing Lee plastic parts.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was looking at the Lee and the RCBS. Any experience with the RCBS? I think I am going to go with one or the other.

Thanks again!

dogman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
I use the RCBS bench mounted auto prime and think it's great. I have had no issues with it. Drop by the shop with some cases, primers and a shell holder if you want to try it out.

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
I use the RCBS bench mounted auto prime and think it's great. I have had no issues with it. Drop by the shop with some cases, primers and a shell holder if you want to try it out.
Thanks for the offer Dogman!!! I appreciate it.  :shaka: :shaka: :shaka: