Reduced 45acp loads with IMR TARGET and TITEGROUP (Read 3934 times)

oldfart

Reduced 45acp loads with IMR TARGET and TITEGROUP
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
IMR TARGET and TITEGROUP

For decades, I've been using the same powders in my 45's.
231, BE, HP38, Clays, WST.

Recently I've acquired some IMR TARGET and TITEGROUP.
Both are relatively new technology propellants.
The load data from the Hogdon website has both of these powders STARTING at fairly full powered loads and goes up from there.
My yardstick for "full power" is the IPSC/USPSA/IDPA power factor (PF) of about 165. The idea of power factor was to simulate the felt recoil of full power defensive ammunition.
The STARTING loads as tested in my pistol exceeded 170.
No doubt, a constant diet of 170 PF ammo will damage a pistol. I know this from personal experience.

This is one of the reasons why 2700/bullseye competitors shoot soft-recoiling “target” loads.
For these competitors, the classic target load has always been 3.5 to 4.2 BULLSEYE with a 180-200 grain bullet. Typical velocity for such ammunition is 700FPS or a PF of about 140. They will shoot thousands of such rounds per year with little or no damage to their carefully customized target pistols.

So I searched the net for anyone who had posted information about reduced loads with these newer powders and only found a vague reference by an older shooter who tried a reduced TITEGROUP load, but never posted any test data. I have an inquiry in to HOGDON about this, but I have not received any response yet.

So I decided to do a quick and dirty test myself.
The basic test method was to load the recommended STARTING charge and go down by 10%.
The components:
Lee 6-cav handcast #68 style 200 gr.LSWC (not a match grade bullet)
Custom 30-70 blend Alox-beeswax bullet lube.( Sized 0.452)
FEDERAL brass
FEDERAL GMM150 primers
OAL=1.250 Taper crimp=0.468
Dillon dies
Pistol=Colt S70 GVT with 5.5” Bar-Sto bbl
Chrony at 5ft. /Target at 25 yards.

to be continued.....
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

Re: Reduced 45acp loads with IMR TARGET and TITEGROUP
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »
TEST RESULTS

TITEGROUP:
4.8gr= 863 FPS SD 9 starting load
4.3gr=771 FPS SD 8

IMR TARGET
5.0=876 FPS SD 10 starting load
4.5=812 FPS SD 24

ACCURACY IMPRESSIONS
They both shot about 2.2 inches at 25 yds from the bench.
I called the 1 flyer immediately as my trigger finger hurts due to an old injury.
See the picture...

FINAL THOUGHTS

At 10% reduced load, TITEGROUP provided a pleasant 150 PF load with low velocity variation and no significant scorching. Accuracy was good if you discount my sore finger. I would use this (4.3) load for casual target shooting. Maybe bump up to 4.5 grains.

TARGET provided a slightly higher velocity and good accuracy but the velocity variations are troublesome. I did read some complaints about inconsistent powder metering using IMR TARGET.
I think further testing is warranted.

What, Me Worry?

H Golf Sport

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:54:49 PM »
Give VVN310 a try.  3.5-4.0 under a 200 SWC.  Meters excellent in a dillon.  Nice and soft.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:59 AM »
Give VVN310 a try.  3.5-4.0 under a 200 SWC.  Meters excellent in a dillon.  Nice and soft.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have enough powder to last me for decades to come.
I'm not searching for light bullseye loads either. Just wanted to do sub-major pf ammo with these newer powders.
What, Me Worry?

UsGuys

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
I load .45acp with TiteGroup as well. My own cast and PC 200 grain boolits. I've gotten as low as 4.5g of TiteGroup. It shot great. However, the brass was ejected and rolled out and fell on to my feet. It was also sooty. That's just my experience, take it with a grain of salt. Pistol is a HK45. Maybe the recoil spring is to stiff for a light load.
Aloha

macsak

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »
I load .45acp with TiteGroup as well. My own cast and PC 200 grain boolits. I've gotten as low as 4.5g of TiteGroup. It shot great. However, the brass was ejected and rolled out and fell on to my feet. It was also sooty. That's just my experience, take it with a grain of salt. Pistol is a HK45. Maybe the recoil spring is to stiff for a light load.
Aloha

yup
HKs are tightly sprung

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:54:18 AM »
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

I've tried 4.6, 4.8, 5.0 grains of titegroup with hornady 230 fmj, COL 1.2"
Went sort of by the book, although 5 grains is .2 over what is recommended by hodgdon data
I dont have a chronograph, I use my portagee palm chrono.  ;)
Test each one in my Springfield 1911 since that's my tightest to rack and test the function bc I replaced the 16 lbs recoil spring with an 18 lbs one bc I was having problems with the stock spring. All functioned but the 4.6 did not eject with the same authority
5.0 and 4.8 ejected like factory ammo as far as I can tell
Now I stick with 4.8 since its within their data specs
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:18:50 AM by stangzilla »