On mask and gloves for the virus (Read 17678 times)

stangzilla

Re: On mask and gloves for the virus
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 09:17:17 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086QTBPV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
no orange, but I ordered 2 of these in Ruger black!   :geekdanc:
Ahh!  I'm tempted to buy one, just because!  ;D

Good to filter out smoke and lead when we get back to shooting  :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »
The place that I work for is sending in some kind of masks for everybody.

I had a discussion with a coworker about wearing a mask all the time.
It seems to me that any kind of common mask will cause you to rebreath your own air causing a reduction in your blood oxygen level.
Anybody consider that?

What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »

It seems to me that any kind of common mask will cause you to rebreath your own air causing a reduction in your blood oxygen level.
Anybody consider that?

My line of work requires fit testing and medical clearance to ensure proper fit and ensure the person is fit enough to use.

This is for respirators though, not masks.

It will reduce airflow regardless,  may or may not be an issue, but it is a possibility

RSN172

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »

Anybody consider that?

Betta den breathing in one pathogen

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 10:41:42 AM »
I got fit tested at Safety Systems for the half face respirator when I was doing assessments around asbestos for work.  Depending on the filter, it does take a little bit more effort to breath, but I didn't really notice it.  Even when under some moderate exertion.  I have heard that some folks find it difficult to breathe with the P100 filter, but I never noticed. 

They do have those masks that are designed to purposely restrict airflow for training.  Never used those though. . .

Heavies

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Want to make another point on mask and gloves

I see now that most cashiers in stores and food service are wearing gloves.

This is for their own protection not yours, assuming they are using them correctly.   

They are not removing them and replacing them after each transaction, nor removing and replacing them after touching everything else in the universe.

Do your own due diligence in handling items after they have touched them.

changemyoil66

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
Want to make another point on mask and gloves

I see now that most cashiers in stores and food service are wearing gloves.

This is for their own protection not yours, assuming they are using them correctly.   

They are not removing them and replacing them after each transaction, nor removing and replacing them after touching everything else in the universe.

Do your own due diligence in handling items after they have touched them.

NOw I wipe things down with cloroox wipes after buying and I get home.  I'm also spraying the bottom of cloth bags before putting them down.

changemyoil66

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2020, 01:00:32 PM »
I got fit tested at Safety Systems for the half face respirator when I was doing assessments around asbestos for work.  Depending on the filter, it does take a little bit more effort to breath, but I didn't really notice it.  Even when under some moderate exertion.  I have heard that some folks find it difficult to breathe with the P100 filter, but I never noticed. 

They do have those masks that are designed to purposely restrict airflow for training.  Never used those though. . .

IIRC, the airflow restriction training mask got sued.  They marketed it like high altitude training.  But there is a diff between atmospheric pressure and restricted breathing.  Told people this for years and no one listed.  Those mask were like $100.  Told them to just go McDonalds and get a free straw and breath thru that.  Now no one wears them in the gym.

I was reading my P100 respirator manual and it says if breathing becomes difficult, that's  1 sign of a filter needing to be changed.  I have never been officially fit for a respirator, but pretty sure I'll be OK.  Maybe I'll do a home banana test.  Go Foodland and buy a bunch of banana's.

drck1000

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
IIRC, the airflow restriction training mask got sued.  They marketed it like high altitude training.  But there is a diff between atmospheric pressure and restricted breathing.  Told people this for years and no one listed.  Those mask were like $100.  Told them to just go McDonalds and get a free straw and breath thru that.  Now no one wears them in the gym.

I was reading my P100 respirator manual and it says if breathing becomes difficult, that's  1 sign of a filter needing to be changed.  I have never been officially fit for a respirator, but pretty sure I'll be OK.  Maybe I'll do a home banana test.  Go Foodland and buy a bunch of banana's.
Yup.  Sounds like you'll be just fine. . .  :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

Nah, but really.  The fit test for the seal of the 3m mask is easy.  The testing of the filter, different story.  There are "good enough" methods.  Google has a few. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2020, 01:55:10 PM »
NOw I wipe things down with cloroox wipes after buying and I get home.  I'm also spraying the bottom of cloth bags before putting them down.

I went to Costco 2 days ago.  The employees at the entrance wiped down each cart with disposable disinfectant wipes and wore gloves & masks.

About 1/4 of the customers and 1/2 the employees were wearing masks and/or gloves.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves during my visit.  As I approached the fresh strawberries, an elderly woman wearing a loose-fitting mask and oversize rubber gloves was picking up plastic containers one after the other, the way I'm sure she always sorts through containers looking for the best pick from flats of produce.  I walked right by the strawberries wondering if she even understands how someone without gloves or a mask may have already contaminated the produce as well as her gloves now...and subsequently everything she touches?

Wearing PPE is not a silver bullet.  Just like a condom, if you use it wrong, you might as well not waste your money.

Anyway, the UPS driver and Postal Carrier (no pun intended) both came to the house wearing NO gloves nor masks.  I had to ask the UPS guy to set the box down a couple of feet away -- he was intending to hand it to me.  :wtf:

We don't need to be overly paranoid if we follow basic guidelines.  But being completely careless is what's gotten NY in the situation they are struggling through.

Common sense isn't common, as many will attest to.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
For those who still aren't UP on the differences between latex and nitrile ...

Enjoy!   :geekdanc:

Nitrile Gloves vs. Latex Gloves
-- Melvin Udall

passivekinetic

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2020, 06:09:41 PM »
Common sense isn't common, as many will attest to.

That's all relative.

Case in point, I would say wearing a face mask is infinitely higher priority than wearing gloves.

You can easily disinfect your hands with sanitizer gel or spray.

"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Rocky

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
For those who still aren't UP on the differences between latex and nitrile ...

Enjoy!   :geekdanc:

Nitrile Gloves vs. Latex Gloves

I was thinking Lamb skin.  :D
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »
TBH, we all had an issue with putting a condom on at 1 point if our life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
That's all relative.

Case in point, I would say wearing a face mask is infinitely higher priority than wearing gloves.

You can easily disinfect your hands with sanitizer gel or spray.

Wearing masks is a priority for the INFECTED, to prevent them from spreading the virus.

Wearing gloves, washing hands and not touching our faces is a priority for the UNINFECTED and INFECTED alike, as it lowers the risk of spreading and contracting the disease.
-- Melvin Udall

passivekinetic

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2020, 08:31:27 AM »
Wearing masks is a priority for the INFECTED, to prevent them from spreading the virus.

Wearing gloves, washing hands and not touching our faces is a priority for the UNINFECTED and INFECTED alike, as it lowers the risk of spreading and contracting the disease.

Many of your posts are informative and well thought out, but I noticed that even someone normally rational like you can succumb to the thinking mistakes that, ironically, you recently have been accusing people of, such as being a “sheeple” for believing MSM nonsense, and not having “common sense.” In the above reply you are still clinging onto the irrational, promulgated by the MSM. You would probably not be thinking the way you did if they didn't start selling us that nonsensical idea, so it seems even someone normally rational like you can succumb to the MSM. I can even imagine you taking the other side (which you should have in the first place) and telling people they are stupid sheeple for not wearing masks.

The face mask thing is so simple and logical, it is surreal people are even debating it. Now it seems the US government, and other countries, that told people not to wear masks, are all backtracking. But of course, they can’t actually say they were wrong before, so they need to frame it in a way to say oh, with new research information, now they think people can breathe it out, so everyone should wear it. What kind of mental acrobatics do we need to do to twist our brains around such a simple thing? It’s almost like the communist China propaganda they use to twist the Chinese people’s brains.

- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 08:36:26 AM »
Just watch, now I predict the MSM is going to go out of its way to tell people TO WEAR masks, and then eventually they are going to start to use the shaming tactic to shame people who do not wear masks. We will see a LOT of media coverage on how to make masks, how to wear masks, how fashionable they are, maybe some celebrities will wear masks, etc.

This is exactly how China (and probably the old USSR) does it and everyone without critical thinking follows along the latest "decree" from the Chairman.

Later, they will switch from DIY masks to tell you to wear the actual damned medical grade mask.

Back to my original comment, if they want to tell people to be altruistic and let medical staff have the N95, that's what they should do. Not use deception to put everyone at risk, and even cause us to waste time and energy debating this exact topic. Nuts!

- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »

I should not have to do this because it is VERY SIMPLE LOGIC but it seems I need to.

How do you know YOU are not an ASYMPTOMATIC CARRIER?

Does that mean you don't care about the people you might inadvertently infect, the ones you have come across in your shopping runs?

I honestly do not believe you are such a person.

So what you have done is just succumbed to MSM nonsense.

This is not even including the fact that masks protect a person from being infected, which again is such a simple thing, it's IDIOCRACY we need to debate it.
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »
I just thought of an analogy.

Does a condom protect you or protect your sex partner?

DOH!

The governments are telling people, don't wear condoms! Wear one only if you have HIV.

Save the condoms for sex workers and those who already have HIV!

Get tested. But don't wear a condom unless you have 100% confirmed HIV.

- Anonymous