Honest Outlaw has Wife Choose her Favorite Concealed Carry Weapon (Read 5231 times)

DocMercy

The Honest Outlaw (Chris) featured his wife in a video comparing 5 small pistols, the Glock 43, the M&P Shield Plus, the Canik TP9 SC Elite, the Kimber R7 Mako, and the H&K VP9 SK.

Her biggest complaint was pinching from some of the magazines. These gun makers need to take this design consideration into account. Once I get our Sig Sauer P365XF broken in, I'd like my wife to compare it with the winner of the above competition.

changemyoil66

Re: Honest Outlaw has Wife Choose her Favorite Concealed Carry Weapon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
I tried all but the Kimber. I like either the SK or the Shield.  Leaning more toward shield because I already have a VP9 and would want something different.

My only concern with his range are those storage vats behind his targets.  I mean 1 would have to shoot high, and the bullet would probably continue in a upward angle, but still too close for my taste. I would have made the backstop 3 feet higher.

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Is your wife looking for a gun?

DocMercy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
Is your wife looking for a gun?

Yes, but it has to be new. When we married, I gave her a Tiffany platinum band engagement ring with a D VVS1 diamond. The fact that it was used did not please her. Upscale wives only like new cars, new houses (if possible), and new dresses. I know about the last category of gifts because I got her a Vera Wang evening dress from a wholesale outfit, and she gave it to a thrift shop when I was on business travel. I can't argue with her about avoiding used cars, since you could be buying someone else's headache.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »
Yes, but it has to be new. When we married, I gave her a Tiffany platinum band engagement ring with a D VVS1 diamond. The fact that it was used did not please her. Upscale wives only like new cars, new houses (if possible), and new dresses. I know about the last category of gifts because I got her a Vera Wang evening dress from a wholesale outfit, and she gave it to a thrift shop when I was on business travel. I can't argue with her about avoiding used cars, since you could be buying someone else's headache.

I would be upset about a used wedding ring as well.  The question is did you tell her, or did she find out?  :rofl:

From my XP with Mrs. CMO, I let her choose what ever gun she wants.  Price within reason, like I'm not buying a Shadow2 or a $4K Nighthawk.  This way she chooses and it's her gun. Not a gun that I chose for her, or recommended her to buy. Cause if she doesn't like it, then you told her to buy it and it's your fault it doesn't work/feel right.  But if she totally chooses, and doesn't like it, it's on her.  Mrs. CMO is very picky, so IDK how picky your wife is.

Her first handgun was a M&P 9C.  We went to Vegas and tried at an indoor range all that you mentioned, besides the Kimber, and even more little (compact) guns.  And of them all, she liked the 9C.  Then after shooting it with it's shit trigger, she choose to upgrade it to an Apex trigger.  Then after shooting more, she wanted something with less recoil, so got a CZ P10C.  I gave her some input for the various guns, but in the end, left it up to her.

Same went for her AR that she built. It took her about a year of looking at various parts daily to Frankenstein the rifle she wanted. Price was no option  within reason. Like not gonna spend $4K on an AR build. She was on the computer for hours a day after work looking at hand guards, grips, stocks, triggers, etc...Then add in the $500 gun candy cerakote, in all her AR probably cost about $1800. Vs. mine that cost $1K.  Mine is really a $500 AR, but with $500 more in upgrades. I didn't build my AR, it was an off the shelf one.  And it shoots great Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II. 

Same goes with gear, she spends hours looking at holsters and cute stuff. Which I never tell her no.  Cause this way she stays into the 2a lifestyle.  So in the end, Mrs. CMO has more guns than I do. I only have 1 pistol and 2 rifles. She has 2 pistols, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun. She has more mag holders than I do, even a drop leg 6 mag holder.

Now she's onto her 22 rifle build which is almost complete. Just need to fit the scope to the rifle. Again, she spent hours looking at stuff online, which I told her spend what ever she wants, within reason. My 22 rifle cost $400, hers is about $2K.

Sorry about the long post, but above is my XP and both myself and Mrs.CMO are relatively new (2016 was first gun purchase)

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 02:48:48 PM »
If the choice is between a 1/2 carat diamond ring with a so-so quality, or a 1 carat flawless diamond ring for the same price, I think most women I know would prefer the better ring, even if it is used.

It used to be an honor to become engaged with a ring that was passed down from the man's family for generations.  It wasn't "used."  It was a family heirloom -- something rare and unique.

Now, many women seem to care more about how much someone paid -- as in, the more you paid, the more you value them .... AND the more they can get for it when the two of you break up!
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »
If the choice is between a 1/2 carat diamond ring with a so-so quality, or a 1 carat flawless diamond ring for the same price, I think most women I know would prefer the better ring, even if it is used.

It used to be an honor to become engaged with a ring that was passed down from the man's family for generations.  It wasn't "used."  It was a family heirloom -- something rare and unique.

Now, many women seem to care more about how much someone paid -- as in, the more you paid, the more you value them .... AND the more they can get for it when the two of you break up!

I was thinking "used" as in someone elses return, ring he bought for another girl, etc...

Off topic, but funny. When I got Mrs. CMO her ring, I could have chosen for the same price 0.96c but super clear, or 1.01c clear to the naked eye.  So I choose the 1.01 because no can round up 0.96 to 1c.  And she doesn't carry a gem viewing scope with her.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 03:18:21 PM »
I was thinking "used" as in someone elses return, ring he bought for another girl, etc...

Off topic, but funny. When I got Mrs. CMO her ring, I could have chosen for the same price 0.96c but super clear, or 1.01c clear to the naked eye.  So I choose the 1.01 because no can round up 0.96 to 1c.  And she doesn't carry a gem viewing scope with her.
Diamonds used for jewelry have no practical purpose.  They are merely for show.  So, the more "showy" the diamonds, the more valuable, and the more in demand, they are.

Some can't afford a nice set of engagement and wedding bands, so they go with whatever they have the money for -- often without an engagement ring, or something without a diamond.  Later, on an anniversary perhaps, they buy a "replacement" ring when they can afford it.

There's no absolute when it comes to engagement and wedding rings.  There's only the approval or disapproval of those in your circle of friends and family.  If what others think won't bother either of you, then do whatever makes you happy and won't cause financial burdens. 

Money problems are the root cause of most failed marriages. 

But, yeah, if you were engaged before and try to use the same ring again for another proposal, you're setting yourself up for a bad situation.  That's not an heirloom.  That ring belonged to "some other girl you used to .... "date"!   :popcorn:

Better to see what a store will offer for a trade-in and get another ring entirely.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »

It's said the more you pay for the ring the less likely your marriage is to survive.
I on the other hand married a women who is allergic to precious metals so nah-nanny boo-boo to you all ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

aaronc5362

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »
I would be upset about a used wedding ring as well.  The question is did you tell her, or did she find out?  :rofl:

From my XP with Mrs. CMO, I let her choose what ever gun she wants.  Price within reason, like I'm not buying a Shadow2 or a $4K Nighthawk.  This way she chooses and it's her gun. Not a gun that I chose for her, or recommended her to buy. Cause if she doesn't like it, then you told her to buy it and it's your fault it doesn't work/feel right.  But if she totally chooses, and doesn't like it, it's on her.  Mrs. CMO is very picky, so IDK how picky your wife is.

Her first handgun was a M&P 9C.  We went to Vegas and tried at an indoor range all that you mentioned, besides the Kimber, and even more little (compact) guns.  And of them all, she liked the 9C.  Then after shooting it with it's shit trigger, she choose to upgrade it to an Apex trigger.  Then after shooting more, she wanted something with less recoil, so got a CZ P10C.  I gave her some input for the various guns, but in the end, left it up to her.

Same went for her AR that she built. It took her about a year of looking at various parts daily to Frankenstein the rifle she wanted. Price was no option  within reason. Like not gonna spend $4K on an AR build. She was on the computer for hours a day after work looking at hand guards, grips, stocks, triggers, etc...Then add in the $500 gun candy cerakote, in all her AR probably cost about $1800. Vs. mine that cost $1K.  Mine is really a $500 AR, but with $500 more in upgrades. I didn't build my AR, it was an off the shelf one.  And it shoots great Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II. 

Same goes with gear, she spends hours looking at holsters and cute stuff. Which I never tell her no.  Cause this way she stays into the 2a lifestyle.  So in the end, Mrs. CMO has more guns than I do. I only have 1 pistol and 2 rifles. She has 2 pistols, 1 rifle, and 1 shotgun. She has more mag holders than I do, even a drop leg 6 mag holder.

Now she's onto her 22 rifle build which is almost complete. Just need to fit the scope to the rifle. Again, she spent hours looking at stuff online, which I told her spend what ever she wants, within reason. My 22 rifle cost $400, hers is about $2K.

Sorry about the long post, but above is my XP and both myself and Mrs.CMO are relatively new (2016 was first gun purchase)

Sounds like your venting.  :D

But I get what y'all are talking about. My ex hated guns. If I wanted to buy a new gun, I had to buy her something first. For example, I wanted a p226 legion so I HAD to buy her a LV bag which was 3800. Then she HAD to buy the matching wallet. Sorry, meant to say I HAD to buy it. Luckily it was only 700.

I then looked at my cc bill. So I settled on a g19.  :rofl:.

I aint joking. Weirdly enough, my ex's sister still texts me out of the blue to chat and my ex still uses the purse... So I'm okay with that.

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »
Sounds like your venting.  :D

But I get what y'all are talking about. My ex hated guns. If I wanted to buy a new gun, I had to buy her something first. For example, I wanted a p226 legion so I HAD to buy her a LV bag which was 3800. Then she HAD to buy the matching wallet. Sorry, meant to say I HAD to buy it. Luckily it was only 700.

I then looked at my cc bill. So I settled on a g19.  :rofl:.

I aint joking. Weirdly enough, my ex's sister still texts me out of the blue to chat and my ex still uses the purse... So I'm okay with that.
My future Ex hated guns too !
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

DocMercy

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »
Honest Outlaw just updated his conceal carry weapon review with an evaluation of the S&W Shield Plus. It looks like a well-made handgun, but it needs the blessing of Mrs. Outlaw (who previously gave the Sig P365 a good review). When I get my tax return, I may consider getting the S&W just so the women of the house can try an alternative to the Sig. Any comments by female members of 2AHawaii would be appreciated.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
Honest Outlaw just updated his conceal carry weapon review with an evaluation of the S&W Shield Plus. It looks like a well-made handgun, but it needs the blessing of Mrs. Outlaw (who previously gave the Sig P365 a good review). When I get my tax return, I may consider getting the S&W just so the women of the house can try an alternative to the Sig. Any comments by female members of 2AHawaii would be appreciated.

Mrs.CMO has a S&W M&P 9c which is like a double stack shield.  She still prefers to carry her CZ P10C which is larger appendix IWB.

The smaller guns are more snappier, but not an issue training can overcome if one puts in the time.  The trigger sucks, so she upgraded to an Apex trigger for the SW.  But I shot it fine due to dry firing b4 the change. We took a skill builder with it and 1 exercise everyone had to shoot everyone's gun and get hits on steel at 15yrds. We had a very accomplished competition shooter in our group and even he had trouble using the OEM trigger. I had no issue.  IIRC the shield trigger is similar to the 9C.

Personally, I don't like the soft grips on the OG shield or the 9C. I like plastic textured which the new Shields have (stipple like).

I say instead of buying a gun and telling them to learn it, take them with you to the store and let them try. And buy what ever gun they like. Even if it's a revolver.