SCOTUS STRIKES DOWN NEW YORK CARRY LAW!!! SO NOW WHAT FOR HAWAII? (Read 4535 times)

zippz

Re: SCOTUS STRIKES DOWN NEW YORK CARRY LAW!!! SO NOW WHAT FOR HAWAII?
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2022, 08:59:29 PM »
It's my understanding that Hawaii does not honor NRA pistol classes taken out of state?  I took a class in Texas years ago.

It could be valid if the instructor went over Hawaii state laws.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Alika

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2022, 09:39:27 PM »
Is there a site with the radio recording that we can listen to what Chief Logan said this morning?

Look in Hawaii AG response to Bruen topic
 pg3 for iheart radio link

groveler

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:19 AM »
Here you go.

How did he get so fast? Lots of practice.  How much practice?  I read somewhere he shoots about 20,000 rounds a month.
Now I recognize the guy.
Thanks all!
 :geekdanc:

Rocky

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2022, 07:23:30 AM »
That was freaking awesome!  Made my day.   :rofl:
That's what you get for illegally parking in a Handicap stall. :shaka:
I like how the shop owner says "Pray" before he discharges. :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

punaperson

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2022, 09:18:28 AM »
Is there a site with the radio recording that we can listen to what Chief Logan said this morning?
Here's the link: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1061-rick-hamada-28867030/episode/ask-the-chief-w-hpd-chief-100523537/

It does not play on my computer.

Let me know if you discover the secret to making it work.

passivekinetic

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »
Here's the link: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1061-rick-hamada-28867030/episode/ask-the-chief-w-hpd-chief-100523537/

It does not play on my computer.

Let me know if you discover the secret to making it work.

Try using FIREFOX
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »
Try using FIREFOX

I'm using Brave browser.  Turned off "Shields" for that site, and it played fine.

p.s.  Make sure to click the "Play" icon next to the podcast's title.  Otherwise, it plays the latest podcast -- not the one you might want to hear.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:21:14 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

punaperson

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
Try using FIREFOX
Wouldn't work in Dissenter, worked, sort of, in Opera.

The Oahu chief is deciding on and implementing "not restrictions, but procedures" (talk about euphemisms!!)... these include, so far, the NRA basic safety course... which most people took to buy firearms... AND "to qualify in some kind of shooting standard, by the NRA standards". Does such an NRA class (concealed carry) already exist? If not, is the NRA going to create such a course and train their instructors (to be ready sometime in 2024)? On the Big Island where would it be taught (no public range)? How many hours? What is the cost? How often will one have to take it qualify (for license renewal)? smh.

These people are so disingenuous (talk about euphemisms!!  ;)). Just wait for the legislature to reconvene and see how many ways they try to come up with to continue to circumvent our fundamental, individual, God-given/natural inalienable rights to keep and bear arms. Disgusting! Evil!

stangzilla

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2022, 01:04:55 PM »
Logan on the radio this morning.

1) People will need an NRA certified class, which most handgun owners already have. So hunters ed won't fly.
2) Shooting requirement is highly probable and NRA instructors can dictate it and sign off on it
3) He emphasizes the liability of using the gun again.
4) No word on pending apps
5) They are close to finalizing everything, and again expects to sign off at end of Aug at the latest. He stated again that he will be signing CCWs.

All the above is verbal and can change later. Lets see what's on paper and what the legislature does.

the number 2, shooting requirement:
does that mean the hands on shooting portion of the handgun safety class?

changemyoil66

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
Wouldn't work in Dissenter, worked, sort of, in Opera.

The Oahu chief is deciding on and implementing "not restrictions, but procedures" (talk about euphemisms!!)... these include, so far, the NRA basic safety course... which most people took to buy firearms... AND "to qualify in some kind of shooting standard, by the NRA standards". Does such an NRA class (concealed carry) already exist? If not, is the NRA going to create such a course and train their instructors (to be ready sometime in 2024)? On the Big Island where would it be taught (no public range)? How many hours? What is the cost? How often will one have to take it qualify (for license renewal)? smh.

He also mentioned he would leave the "standard" up to the instructor,this is good news.  NRA does have a CCW course.  There currently is only 1 qualified NRA CCW instructor on Oahu that I know of.

changemyoil66

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2022, 01:15:05 PM »
the number 2, shooting requirement:
does that mean the hands on shooting portion of the handgun safety class?

I think he meant separate from the hands on for the HI handgun safety class.  But he probably will change his mind as it gets closer.

stangzilla

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2022, 01:30:37 PM »
I think he meant separate from the hands on for the HI handgun safety class.  But he probably will change his mind as it gets closer.

like more training hours, and/or a qualifications test?

hvybarrels

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2022, 01:38:28 PM »
That's okay. We can wait a little longer for them to figure this out. Plenty of time.

Red Pills dispensed daily

changemyoil66

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2022, 01:54:49 PM »
like more training hours, and/or a qualifications test?

What what he was saying, it sounds like all those who have a HI handgun affidavit would just need to complete a shooting test.  His interview went something like this when asked about the training requirement: Many HI handgun owners already are qualified with the handgun safety class.  Then he goes on to mention a shooting test that's up to the NRA instructor. He made no mention of 1 company being the sole company to administer the CCW training or HPD having to do it.

Refer to my OP about the shooting test.  Again, keep in mind what he says will probably different from what will be written.

HIFICO sent a follow up letter to the pending CCW apps and it mentions the 16 hour training that NY is requiring. As of today, HIFICO has had no response from HPD from this letter.

stangzilla

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
What what he was saying, it sounds like all those who have a HI handgun affidavit would just need to complete a shooting test.  His interview went something like this when asked about the training requirement: Many HI handgun owners already are qualified with the handgun safety class.  Then he goes on to mention a shooting test that's up to the NRA instructor. He made no mention of 1 company being the sole company to administer the CCW training or HPD having to do it.

Refer to my OP about the shooting test.  Again, keep in mind what he says will probably different from what will be written.

HIFICO sent a follow up letter to the pending CCW apps and it mentions the 16 hour training that NY is requiring. As of today, HIFICO has had no response from HPD from this letter.

ok.  thanks
I guess we just wait and see what kind of hoops we need to jump through exactly. 
thanks for keeping on top of all this   :shaka:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2022, 02:29:04 PM »
Maybe it is a good idea for me to start applying for CCW now.

Something tells me at the end of August HPD and the Chief will be super busy.

I can just see it now.  HPD announcing that their computers are down......
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

nickelzismoney

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »

No idea why someone would intentionally wait to apply. But good idea. Apply now before it gets harder
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein

QUIETShooter

« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2022, 02:47:03 PM »
No idea why someone would intentionally wait to apply. But good idea. Apply now before it gets harder

Yeah, I tend to procrastinate a lot.  Must be the "wait and see" gene in me.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »

I went to HPD today to register.  There were some VERY interesting folks applying for CCW.  Unfortunately, I was in line after on particularly "interesting" guy.  That was pretty  :crazy:

Heavies

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »
Logan on the radio this morning.

1) People will need an NRA certified class, which most handgun owners already have. So hunters ed won't fly.
2) Shooting requirement is highly probable and NRA instructors can dictate it and sign off on it
3) He emphasizes the liability of using the gun again.
4) No word on pending apps
5) They are close to finalizing everything, and again expects to sign off at end of Aug at the latest. He stated again that he will be signing CCWs.

All the above is verbal and can change later. Lets see what's on paper and what the legislature does.

If you already own a handgun in the state of Hawaii you already meet the requirement written in the law.

(1)  Be qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner;

(2)  Appear to be a suitable person to be so licensed;

(3)  Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; and

(4)  Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged.

Requirement 1 and 2 in his interview is not in the law.  Him adding more requirements is not right.