Premature, but what gun would you carry if HI allows CCW/Open carry (Read 4404 times)

mill8316

Re: Premature, but what gun would you carry if HI allows CCW/Open carry
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »
I was looking into that and other closed emitters, but for my reasons, I decided against it.  Besides this not being an open carry duty gun like PD, I lean toward what others are doing and take that as a clue.

I learned this after 5 various holsters and finally went with Safariland.  The "pros" use similar gear for a reason and the same philosphy came to play with a RDS. Many are not running a closed emitter like the ACRO or like.  most have Trijicon and then Holosuns. Which is also why I dropped Vortex and Leupold from the list.  But back to the closed emitters, I rarely see anyone running them. Warrior Poet, Jedi (MSP), IV8888, Honest Outlaw, Knockout Lights, etc...

Most slide mounted sized RDS were originally open emitter. Only in the last few years have we seen closed emitter RDS that were small enough and practical. Most people use the open emitters like RMR etc because they are the most common. That does not mean they are better though. I have RMR and a few holosun open emitter 407c, 507c and 508T. But had there been the holosun 509T, and EPS series closed emitters available when I cut my slides and started my builds I would have gone that route.

Closed emitters are the future. But it’s your firearm and $. I’m just making a suggestion.

The EPS carry literally just came out about 2 weeks ago. That’s why there are no reviews out yet. But initial things I have read are promising.

drck1000

« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2022, 12:48:36 PM »
Did more research and talking with some shooting buddies and I’m going to give an EPS a try. Just a matter of when. I currently have RMRs on Glocks, and have will soon have a 43x with slide cut. If the EPS carry is available in red when I get the gun back, I’ll give it a try, but very doubtful the EPS carry will be available but then. So likely will go with a 407k.

DCT is supposed to have EPS for the “regular” MOS slide cut (not slim) later this week, but in green. I will likely wait for the red reticle to become available.  But who knows, I might give in and give the green a try.  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2022, 09:46:41 PM »
Did more research and talking with some shooting buddies and I’m going to give an EPS a try. Just a matter of when. I currently have RMRs on Glocks, and have will soon have a 43x with slide cut. If the EPS carry is available in red when I get the gun back, I’ll give it a try, but very doubtful the EPS carry will be available but then. So likely will go with a 407k.

DCT is supposed to have EPS for the “regular” MOS slide cut (not slim) later this week, but in green. I will likely wait for the red reticle to become available.  But who knows, I might give in and give the green a try.  ;D
What did they say?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mill8316

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2022, 02:42:48 AM »

EPS carry red was available from a bunch of retailers and already reached the hands of purchasers last week. You just have to keep looking to find one in stock online. Or back order from a reputable website.

drck1000

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2022, 07:21:59 AM »
EPS carry red was available from a bunch of retailers and already reached the hands of purchasers last week. You just have to keep looking to find one in stock online. Or back order from a reputable website.
Yeah, I'm now on a couple of "lists".  Were you one of the purchasers that got your hands on an EPS? 

Up until about a week ago, I had zero interest in the micro/slim pistols.  My Glock 19s have been great when I did CC in the past.  Figure I would at least give them a try besides shooting a couple of mags here and there from my buddies' micro pistols. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
Thanks Mill, I went down the rabbit hole and looking into the EPS. Back to the drawing board because the phrase "buy once, cry once" is in play. IDK if I really need a closed emit because this is a strictly CCW gun, except when taking skill builders. Which would be the only time dirt may go in the emit. So if anything, lint is the biggest concern.

drck1000

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »
Thanks Mill, I went down the rabbit hole and looking into the EPS. Back to the drawing board because the phrase "buy once, cry once" is in play. IDK if I really need a closed emit because this is a strictly CCW gun, except when taking skill builders. Which would be the only time dirt may go in the emit. So if anything, lint is the biggest concern.
The EPS carry is around $300-350.  While not cheap, you just spent over $$$ on your 1911 and ammo.  :o  8)

I think the EPS is around $100-150 ish more than say the 407 and 507 models. . .  Eat ramen for lunch for like 1-2 weeks.  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2022, 05:02:02 PM »
my list of carry options so far in order of what I think I will carry most often:

G19 with light and RDS - good do it all pistol, most likely will be my go to ccw
Sig P365 with external safety - if I want to pocket carry with 10 rounds of 9mm
Ruger LCR 38sp - if I want to pocket carry with 5 rounds of 38sp
Hellcat with RDS - micro compact with RDS
HK45 - 10 rounds of 45acp

add 1 more to my list:  HK45C - 8 rounds of 45acp with 10 round backup mag  :geekdanc:

esk808

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
add 1 more to my list:  HK45C - 8 rounds of 45acp with 10 round backup mag  :geekdanc:

Well Stang, if you can't settle the matter with 8 rounds of 45acp, maybe you should've brought your AR........

stangzilla

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »
Well Stang, if you can't settle the matter with 8 rounds of 45acp, maybe you should've brought your AR........

I don't run, I reload   ;)

changemyoil66

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »
Got it from DCT.

changemyoil66

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2022, 09:49:55 PM »
So the pinky hangs off half to 1/4 from the slide. They dont make 10rd mags with pinky exention like how they do for the 9C.

Also 10rds fits tightly on a closed slide. Need to press hard to seat mag. 9c 10rders of the 5 mags i got, only 2 can actually fit 10rds in them. And both wont fit in a closed slide.

So overall based on not shooting yet, the shield plus is better than the 9C. 9c's factory trigger sucks too.

Cool part is the 3dot sights that are supposed to come with the shield now come with tridium sights. M&P is stamped on the rear sight. Idk if trijicon makes them and puts the M&P logo. The shield is much thinner than the 9C too.

drck1000

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2022, 07:00:01 AM »
So the pinky hangs off half to 1/4 from the slide. They dont make 10rd mags with pinky exention like how they do for the 9C.

Also 10rds fits tightly on a closed slide. Need to press hard to seat mag. 9c 10rders of the 5 mags i got, only 2 can actually fit 10rds in them. And both wont fit in a closed slide.

So overall based on not shooting yet, the shield plus is better than the 9C. 9c's factory trigger sucks too.

Cool part is the 3dot sights that are supposed to come with the shield now come with tridium sights. M&P is stamped on the rear sight. Idk if trijicon makes them and puts the M&P logo. The shield is much thinner than the 9C too.

"rub it kook"  ;D

So what, on to 500 rounds of FMJ?  I also see the cut for RDS waiting. . .

My 43x is in "permit-purgatory"  :-[

changemyoil66

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
"rub it kook"  ;D

So what, on to 500 rounds of FMJ?  I also see the cut for RDS waiting. . .

My 43x is in "permit-purgatory"  :-[

We can have a measuring contest.

changemyoil66

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
The SCS now looks super cool. Dammit, too many choices.

But gen 1 stuff offten has improvements that can be made. So maybe still stick with 507k and when need to replace, then SCS tech will be all ironed out.

drck1000

« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2022, 02:52:54 PM »
We can have a measuring contest.
:o

The SCS now looks super cool. Dammit, too many choices.

But gen 1 stuff offten has improvements that can be made. So maybe still stick with 507k and when need to replace, then SCS tech will be all ironed out.

Just picked up a 48 MOS as well since I found one for a great price, plus I had a GC.  So plan likely is to try the 407k on one and probably the EPS on another.  You can sample once I have them.  Will be more than 2 weeks from now since 19 Aug is a State holiday.  So have to wait a bit longer until I can pick up my PTA.   :(  :grrr:

macsak

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2022, 07:53:48 PM »
Just picked up a 48 MOS as well since I found one for a great price, plus I had a GC.  So plan likely is to try the 407k on one and probably the EPS on another.  You can sample once I have them.  Will be more than 2 weeks from now since 19 Aug is a State holiday.  So have to wait a bit longer until I can pick up my PTA.   :(  :grrr:

baller...

changemyoil66

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2022, 09:03:03 PM »
Thoughts on 2moa vs 6moa?

drck1000

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2022, 09:15:07 PM »
baller...
Discount

I’m going to get the 2 moa.

If you want to try the 6 moa, lmk. I can get it for a decent discount.

ren

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2022, 09:21:06 PM »

bigger dot is faster and easier to acquire. A smaller dot doesn't make the gun "more accurate"
Deeds Not Words