Shipping primers to Oahu (Read 1723 times)

javelin69

Shipping primers to Oahu
« on: July 22, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
Morning gang,

By chance, has anyone here tried to bring in there own primers? I'm currently trying to and pretty much getting screwed by Aloha Freight Forwarders. Any experience or suggestions?  :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Ron

nickelzismoney

Re: Shipping primers to Oahu
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
Firearms International has pistol, rifle, and shotgun primers in stock I believe. Offering as a friendly alternative to shipping
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:00:05 PM by nickelzismoney »
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein

dogman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 06:58:57 PM »
Morning gang,

By chance, has anyone here tried to bring in there own primers? I'm currently trying to and pretty much getting screwed by Aloha Freight Forwarders. Any experience or suggestions?  :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Ron
I have brought in primers from the mainland but not recently. To make the hazmat fee worth it, you need to ship around a hundred pounds. The problem currently is the guys with reasonable primer prices won't sell that much primers to a single person.

808Hunta

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 01:39:05 AM »
I have brought in primers from the mainland but not recently. To make the hazmat fee worth it, you need to ship around a hundred pounds. The problem currently is the guys with reasonable primer prices won't sell that much primers to a single person.

This^^^^^^

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »

Yup. Too bad I started this journey after that "group buy" hui dried up due to availability.  But if ever becomes available, I'm in.

This^^^^^^
:thumbsup:

Rico808

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 12:02:01 AM »
How about traveling on a plane like how people do ammo?
Living life on the edge. Just trying to spread my 2A wings as far as I can.

When you stand for nothing, you fall for everything

macsak

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 05:35:08 AM »
not legal...

How about traveling on a plane like how people do ammo?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
According to the TSA, it's not prohibited to place primers in carry-on baggage **IF** they are properly packaged.

Ammunition primer caps aren’t prohibited
in checked luggage on airlines

The Transportation Safety Administration said Wednesday that the ammunition
primers are not prohibited in checked luggage but must be packaged correctly.
Checking the packaging is the responsibility of the airline, the TSA said.
https://www.enterprisenews.com/story/news/crime/2010/12/30/ammunition-primer-caps-aren-t/40207501007/

This story is from 2010, so it may be dated.  Also, each airline can have its own prohibitions beyond that of TSA.

I checked the TSA website and found no mention of transporting primers via commercial passenger planes.

Black powder is considered an explosive and is prohibited.  If primers were forbidden, they wouldn't allow ammunition packed in proper containers, would they?  Each primer is seated in a cartridge primer pocket and in divided containers to prevent accidental damage causing them to ignite.  If you package your primers similarly to prevent accidentally striking them, it should be okay.

I would place them in a padded hard-sided case similar to the kind you'd place your firearm in.  That should be safe enough to prevent damage from clumsy baggage handlers and conveyor belts.

When in doubt do your own research and ask your airline. 

Hawaiian says this about ammo:
Rule 18 - D.1.a.

ii. All ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer’s original packaging
or securely packed in a fiber, wood or metal container suitable for travel.
Furthermore, the ammunition inside the container must be protected
against shock and secured against movement.

iii. All ammunition must be packed separate and apart from any firearm
unless the firearm’s case has a designated storage space for ammunition
that secures it and protects it from shock and movement.
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/legal/domestic-contract-of-carriage/rule-18

"Protected against shock and movement" ought to suffice for primers, too.

This is my opinion.  Make 100% sure before you travel. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rhed

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 05:12:06 PM »
I just got a call from SEC for some primers that I was in a waiting list before. I believe it’s srp, or lrp or both. Or it might be pistol primers. Anyway a case each, anyone wants it, pm me. I can call SEC with your name to pick up.This Saturday deadline