fried chicken - discuss (Read 15956 times)

Inspector

Re: fried chicken - discuss
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2019, 08:14:00 AM »
They seem to have loco moco everything these days.  Even Zippy's chili moco. . .
Loco Moco Drive-In's Mochiko Chicken is what I meant to say.

But Zippy's fried chicken ain't bad either!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
Loco Moco Drive-In's Mochiko Chicken is what I meant to say.

But Zippy's fried chicken ain't bad either!
Ahh, ok.  I wasn't quite sure, but gravy and egg on mochiko chicken sounds, uh, interesting.  I'd try it, esp if you said it was good.   :P

I like Zippy's fried chicken.  Not the best, but I enjoy it.  Again, not something I eat often in general, but I def indulge from time to time.  Zip Pack, chili chicken mix plate.  A buddy LOVES their chicken plate and gets a whole tub of brown gravy and smothers the whole plate.   :o

Inspector

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
Ahh, ok.  I wasn't quite sure, but gravy and egg on mochiko chicken sounds, uh, interesting.  I'd try it, esp if you said it was good.   :P

I like Zippy's fried chicken.  Not the best, but I enjoy it.  Again, not something I eat often in general, but I def indulge from time to time.  Zip Pack, chili chicken mix plate.  A buddy LOVES their chicken plate and gets a whole tub of brown gravy and smothers the whole plate.   :o
I love their spaghetti/fried chicken zip pack.  :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2020, 11:32:17 PM »
Been feeling like fried chicken again lately.

Anyone try Forty Niner fried chicken? Will be in the area Fri morning, so thinking of fried chicken and waffles. They have lots of other good plates,  it never tried their fried chicken. Pics online look pretty good.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2020, 06:17:35 AM »

Anyone try Forty Niner fried chicken? Will be in the area Fri morning, so thinking of fried chicken and waffles. They have lots of other good plates,  it never tried their fried chicken. Pics online look pretty good.

Been a while since I've eaten at Forty Niner.  They make good food.  I haven't tried their chicken but I remember eating saimin and when it came I told the waitress that I ordered a small saimin.  She looked at me and said, "that is the small order of saimin….."  That thing was huge!!  :shaka:

It seems all fried chicken tastes the best when it is just made.  After it sits for a while that's when it starts to deteriorate in various degrees.

Zippy's chicken is the best when it is just made.  If it sits awhile it's like chewing leather and turns into a rock.  Since there is no concealed carry here I figure I can carry a Zippy's chicken thigh in my pocket for self defense.  :rofl:

I still like KFC.  Harder to get nowadays after all the new places like Raising Cane's, Jollibees, etc. springing up all over the place.

Hope you like the chicken at Forty Niners! :thumbsup:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2020, 01:16:55 PM »
I recently saw a youtube review of a N. Korean MRE. It had fried chicken in it.

Rocky

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

I always enjoy eating @ 49'rs and always sit at the counter and try to imagine the view just before 0800 December 7, 1941.
I usually get either the saimin or a cheeseburger and fries.
   As for fried chicken, we've been hooked on the Foodland "Salt-n-Vinegar wings.  ;D
Addictive   :crazy:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 10:14:44 PM »
Coworker says try Golden Coin fried chicken thighs.
Only the thighs.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
Been a while since I've eaten at Forty Niner.  They make good food.  I haven't tried their chicken but I remember eating saimin and when it came I told the waitress that I ordered a small saimin.  She looked at me and said, "that is the small order of saimin….."  That thing was huge!!  :shaka:

It seems all fried chicken tastes the best when it is just made.  After it sits for a while that's when it starts to deteriorate in various degrees.

Zippy's chicken is the best when it is just made.  If it sits awhile it's like chewing leather and turns into a rock.  Since there is no concealed carry here I figure I can carry a Zippy's chicken thigh in my pocket for self defense.  :rofl:

I still like KFC.  Harder to get nowadays after all the new places like Raising Cane's, Jollibees, etc. springing up all over the place.

Hope you like the chicken at Forty Niners! :thumbsup:
My office (under "normal" conditions) is near there.  Never tried their saimin, but heard they have good saimin and burgers.  I usually get one of their plates and most times one of the specials.  Once in a while I'll get breakfast there. 

Agree about fried chicken with it's fresh.  Particularly since I like the crispy coating.  While I like Zippy's chicken, yeah, it can be hit or miss.  Sometimes you get one that seems like it's been under the heat lamp for hours.  I haven't tried Raising Cane's yet, but want to.  Maybe I'll swing by the HK drive through.  The line was crazy long back in Dec. 

I ended up getting fried chicken and waffles this morning.  The chicken was more karaage style, small boneless bits but with small sections of crispy skin.  It was a little dry, but I don't mind dry.  Overall, it was good.  Thinking I'll get fried chicken again later this weekend. 

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
I recently saw a youtube review of a N. Korean MRE. It had fried chicken in it.
You should try it. 

drck1000

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
I always enjoy eating @ 49'rs and always sit at the counter and try to imagine the view just before 0800 December 7, 1941.
I usually get either the saimin or a cheeseburger and fries.
   As for fried chicken, we've been hooked on the Foodland "Salt-n-Vinegar wings.  ;D
I've had that many times and it's good.  One of my buddies can eat like a 2lb bag by himself.   :o

19pontiac79

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2020, 06:17:15 PM »
I've had that many times and it's good.  One of my buddies can eat like a 2lb bag by himself.   :o

I wish I could get hooked on this too. But the damned blood pressure won't allow it. Regular fried chicken bad enough for me. But maybe I double dose meds before I tackle a bunch.......you know Y.O.L.O :thumbsup: :shaka:
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

oldfart

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »

The foodland salt n vinegar is pretty good.
I tried the salt n vinegar from Times and it was grotesquely salty. :shake:
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
I wish I could get hooked on this too. But the damned blood pressure won't allow it. Regular fried chicken bad enough for me. But maybe I double dose meds before I tackle a bunch.......you know Y.O.L.O :thumbsup: :shaka:
Ya, luckily I inherited the "good blood pressure" genes from my grandmother.  However, cholesterol is a different story.  :(  So while I really enjoy fried chicken, I don't have it very often. 

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
I agree with oldfart AND eyeeatingfish about Foodland Chicken, when it's fresh it's pretty good but it's shelf life is minutes.

Really? Seems to be ok to me. The next day I throw the leftovers into the toaster oven and it comes back pretty crispy.

oldfart

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
Really? Seems to be ok to me. The next day I throw the leftovers into the toaster oven and it comes back pretty crispy.
Yes crispy on the outside.

The meat inside resembles paracord....
Approximately the same tensile strength.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
My family had Foodland fried chicken thighs the other night.  It was really good.  But after it sat for a while the outside started to get hard.

There were some parts where you would have a tug of war with the skin and outside meat.  But when you tear it apart the inside meat is so tender and tasty.

For me it's fried chicken, shoyu, and hot rice.  My veggies HAS to be canned corn and peas.  Not frozen.  Not fresh.  Canned corn and peas.  Preferably Del Monte.

Comfort food.

Something about fried chicken, hot rice, and canned veggies bring back memories of small kid time living in the plantation camp where mom and dad worked hard and money was hard to come by.

Oh and you gotta eat with your hands.  Even the rice.  Use your hands.  The corn and peas you can use fork or spoon.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
I like canned peas and canned corn. But I don't buy it because I just don't think about it when shopping.

This brings up a memory of growing up on Maui.
October was time for the Maui County Fair. My mom would work in the Mormon church booth making fried chicken plates.
It was a very simple plate with fresh fried chicken and rice with namasu on the side.

Anybody been to the fair in recent years?
Curious to know if the church still does that.
What, Me Worry?

groveler

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
I can't resist,
My wife is a professional cook(retired).
I get the best fried chicken money can buy.
When ever you get take out or a restaurant
you get what they want to feed you based
on their bottom line.
My food is customized to what I like.
My advice is to marry a lady that likes to cook!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
I can't resist,
My wife is a professional cook(retired).
I get the best fried chicken money can buy.
When ever you get take out or a restaurant
you get what they want to feed you based
on their bottom line.
My food is customized to what I like.
My advice is to marry a lady that likes to cook!

Either that, or learn to cook for yourself!  The best chefs in the world are predominately men.  :thumbsup: 

I grew up in NC.  My mother and grandmother would cook for hours on Sunday morning.  After Sunday School and Church services, we'd have:

Fried Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Milk Gravy
Biscuits
Corn
Green Beans
Cole Slaw
Fresh Tomatoes

All of it: homemade from scratch, and the vegetables came from our own garden.  They cooked so much food, nobody at home had to cook Sunday night or Monday -- plenty of leftovers.  Once a month, my Aunt and Uncle would bring our cousins over, too.  There was always plenty.

My grandmother would "can" the extra vegetables we harvested throughout the Summer and use that during the months we didn't have fresh, ripe vegetables.

Anyway, I've yet to find a restaurant that could come close to that fried chicken.  I've tried many recipes, but the "family recipe" is still the best.  Cast iron skillets make all the difference, too.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall