Shooting trap at Kokohead (Read 17045 times)

mikenkapolei

Shooting trap at Kokohead
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
I've shot trap twice in my life, both times at the Shooting Sports Fair.  I'm hoping to pick up a shotgun sometime soon and want to take up trap shooting.  Does anyone do classes for beginners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_G

Re: Shooting trap at Kokohead
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:49:52 PM »
The folks at both the trap and skeet ranges are quite friendly, and you should have little trouble finding someone to take you under their wing. As far as a structured class in shotgun sports, I've not seen anything like that offered locally.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
YouTube.  I'm serious, there's a series of vids from the AMU with tips on how to shoot American Trap.  There might even be a series of videos you can buy on American Trap.  Just make sure you get American Trapand not the other kinds like international trap.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

mrgaf

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
I've shot trap twice in my life, both times at the Shooting Sports Fair.  I'm hoping to pick up a shotgun sometime soon and want to take up trap shooting.  Does anyone do classes for beginners?

I'm a member of the Honolulu Trap Club and shoot there at least 2-3 times a month. Open every Sunday except if there is a special event and are starting to open on Saturdays if HPD doesn't need the training range. They are all really great people and everyone is more than happy to teach or give pointers. I'm in training as an RSO this Saturday. Stop by and ask for for me (Gil).  :shaka:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

haynplumma

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »
I was thinking about it as well. looks fun.. might have to take my sxs coach gun over and give it a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mikenkapolei

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
I'm a member of the Honolulu Trap Club and shoot there at least 2-3 times a month. Open every Sunday except if there is a special event and are starting to open on Saturdays if HPD doesn't need the training range. They are all really great people and everyone is more than happy to teach or give pointers. I'm in training as an RSO this Saturday. Stop by and ask for for me (Gil).  :shaka:
Thanks mrgaf, I'm at the range every weekend, either Saturday or Sunday depending on the honey-do-list. haha  Hopefully I can go on Saturday and look you up.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
A while back, I recall one of the shotgun ranges being open on Fridays.  If I recall correctly, it was on a trial basis and something like once or twice a month.  I was thinking that would be a good opportunity for an intro as it would be less crowded than a weekend.  I haven't been to the range on a Friday in a while, so not sure if that is still going on. 

mrgaf

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
Thanks mrgaf, I'm at the range every weekend, either Saturday or Sunday depending on the honey-do-list. haha  Hopefully I can go on Saturday and look you up.

Sounds good.Hope to C U there! :shaka:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

mrgaf

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
A while back, I recall one of the shotgun ranges being open on Fridays.  If I recall correctly, it was on a trial basis and something like once or twice a month.  I was thinking that would be a good opportunity for an intro as it would be less crowded than a weekend.  I haven't been to the range on a Friday in a while, so not sure if that is still going on.

Trap side is not doing that and I dont think the skeet side is either. Skeet side is open on Saturdays if memory serves me correctly, as well as Sundays. Trap side is only Sundays but from time to time, they will open on Saturday and holidays. If the Mods approve, I can pass along to alcon when the trap range will open on days other than Sundays.
 :shaka:

zippz

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:35:24 PM »
mrgaf, I wanted to put on an event with my group HawaiiGGG to have people try Trap/Skeet shooting, most of them for the first time.  Can you help us out?  We'd need shotguns, coaches, and some instruction.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
Trap side is not doing that and I dont think the skeet side is either. Skeet side is open on Saturdays if memory serves me correctly, as well as Sundays. Trap side is only Sundays but from time to time, they will open on Saturday and holidays. If the Mods approve, I can pass along to alcon when the trap range will open on days other than Sundays.
Shucks.  Ok.  I guess it didn't take.  I recall RSO Mike saying they were trying it on a trial basis.  I want to say that was summer/fall of 2016.  I was at the rifle range on a Friday and noticed they were shooting shotgun.  I think it was on the skeet range, but it could've been trap.  Was just curious what happened.  I've always enjoyed shooting clays.

mrgaf

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:53 AM »
mrgaf, I wanted to put on an event with my group HawaiiGGG to have people try Trap/Skeet shooting, most of them for the first time.  Can you help us out?  We'd need shotguns, coaches, and some instruction.

I'll ask for you on Saturday. To the best of my knowledge the club does not have any shotguns to loan out. There are plenty of folks who would be more than happy to show them the ropes. There is a fee per round/per person for the clay targets (25 birds). Members are $5 but not sure what it is for non members. I'll get all the info and pass it on. How's dat!  :shaka:

zippz

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I'll ask for you on Saturday. To the best of my knowledge the club does not have any shotguns to loan out. There are plenty of folks who would be more than happy to show them the ropes. There is a fee per round/per person for the clay targets (25 birds). Members are $5 but not sure what it is for non members. I'll get all the info and pass it on. How's dat!  :shaka:

Sounds good, I'll try and round up some shotguns.  I have a mossberg 590 20" that I took up to Schofield Skeet range once and the folks there dubbed it the "man killer"
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Hi state

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
I'll be running the skeet range on Sunday for anyone who wants to come down and shoot. All you need is your eyes and ears a shotgun and ammo 7.5 or smaller. Fees are the same as the trap range $5 for members and $6 for non. I'd be more than happy to get anyone started. If you have any question feel free to ask.  :shaka:

macsak

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
I'll be running the skeet range on Sunday for anyone who wants to come down and shoot. All you need is your eyes and ears a shotgun and ammo 7.5 or smaller. Fees are the same as the trap range $5 for members and $6 for non. I'd be more than happy to get anyone started. If you have any question feel free to ask.  :shaka:

Hi state is the man!

Hi state

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
Hi state is the man!

Thank you, your too kind

mrgaf

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
Sounds good, I'll try and round up some shotguns.  I have a mossberg 590 20" that I took up to Schofield Skeet range once and the folks there dubbed it the "man killer"

By the way forgot to tell ya that to bring ammo, eye and ear protection, etc etc..... there's always someone who is willing to teach and show the ropes. I would but I'm still learning myself. Will be there for RSO training tomorrow... come on down if you can......

Kukailimoku

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
Anyone can drop in and take a turn shooting trap/skeet?

What size shell/shot? Choke?

Pump ok? Or must it be a single-shot double barrel, or semi auto?

(noob questions because I never shot trap/skeet before)

mrgaf

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »
Anyone can drop in and take a turn shooting trap/skeet?

What size shell/shot? Choke?

Pump ok? Or must it be a single-shot double barrel, or semi auto?

(noob questions because I never shot trap/skeet before)

Anyone can shoot. $6 per round of 25 for non members, $5 for members. Open every Sunday and some Saturdays 9-4, last round starts at 3:30.

Largest shot size is 7.5. Trap usually uses 7.5-8, skeet #9, but the choice is yours. All shells are "target" 2.5". No magnum loads.

Choke is whatever you fancy but skeet, if memory serves me correctly, usually uses imp cyl. Trap, depending on handicap (distance)  is usually imp mod or mod for 16 yards, full for any other distance but the choice is yours.

Pump, semi, O/U, S/S, single barrels are fine. 12 ga is max.

Hope this answers all your questions. Come on down!

Gil
HTC RO

solidjohnny

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
I'm just getting into skeet with a few friends.  Its a nice change from just shooting static targets all day.  Everyone that I've met is super nice and helpful.