Shooting trap at Kokohead (Read 16877 times)

mikenkapolei

Re: Shooting trap at Kokohead
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
Thanks dogman for inviting me out to the trap range today.  Thanks to Warren, Skip, and RO lance for helping out the noob. Bunch of great guys.
My 870 worked great and I managed to hit some clays. Definitely hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgaf

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
Thanks dogman for inviting me out to the trap range today.  Thanks to Warren, Skip, and RO lance for helping out the noob. Bunch of great guys.
My 870 worked great and I managed to hit some clays. Definitely hooked!

Glad you had fun....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

mikenkapolei

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Glad you had fun....
Thanks mrgaf, hopefully I can make it out on Friday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrgaf

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
Thanks mrgaf, hopefully I can make it out on Friday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too! I tell you everyone out there are first rate! Warren, Skip and Lance are some of the nicest people I've ever met. We're one big happy family and are always looking for new members. Hope to see you Friday!
 :shaka: :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

mikenkapolei

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Be wary of recent productions Remy shotguns. I've used a few and have friends that own them and they report a lot of problems. One friend is a duck hunter in Houston and he knows how to take care of his guns and still reports a bunch of problems with his gun as well as guns of his friends.

I'm happy to report that I had no problems with my brand new Remington 870.  I shot 3 rounds of trap on Sunday with zero failures. Smooth action and nice trigger, great gun!

yurcarmeean

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
Would you say a sie by side 16" 12 ga coach shotgun is appropriate for fun/cowboy/non-competitive trap shooting?
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Would you say a sie by side 16" 12 ga coach shotgun is appropriate for fun/cowboy/non-competitive trap shooting?

The short sight plane of the coach gun will make accurate pointing very difficult.

The coach gun weighs 6.5 pounds. It probably will not be very fun to shoot for very long, as it will kick the heck out of your shoulder.

If you want to get serious about trap shooting, though, the coach gun is not well suited for trap.

In a registered trap shoot, it is not uncommon to shoot 300 targets in the span of 4 or 5 hours. I bet you'd admit, if you shot 300 targets in 4 hours with your coach, your shoulder would be pretty sore.

But, if you're shooting for fun, just shoot what you have and enjoy yourself.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

yurcarmeean

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »
The short sight plane of the coach gun will make accurate pointing very difficult.

The coach gun weighs 6.5 pounds. It probably will not be very fun to shoot for very long, as it will kick the heck out of your shoulder.

If you want to get serious about trap shooting, though, the coach gun is not well suited for trap.

In a registered trap shoot, it is not uncommon to shoot 300 targets in the span of 4 or 5 hours. I bet you'd admit, if you shot 300 targets in 4 hours with your coach, your shoulder would be pretty sore.

But, if you're shooting for fun, just shoot what you have and enjoy yourself.

roger that!
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

mrgaf

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
roger that!

There are plenty of folks shooting trap with every type of shogun imaginable. Rom 28’s to 12’s, semi, pump, break, side by side, o/u with barrel lengths 18-36”. One common factor remains though, 99% of the guns are choked. For trap I guess the standard is Mod or improved modified. Some shoot full, others cylinder BUT the barrels are set up for multichoke or poly choked for the die hards. I’ve seen people shoot a cheap pump with an 18” barrel and an AR style stock and shoot just as good as those with much more expensive trap guns. Got a CAS side by side scatter gun? No worries! Sure the cyl bore constriction could be a factor but it’s not the gun, it’s the person shooting. Come on out! You’re more than welcome to try out my trap gun anytime..... must warn you though, it’s a lefty and there are others who would be more than happy to let you try theirs....
Hope to see ya soon.
By the way, cost is $7 for non members, $t for members per round.
R
Gil :shaka:

groveler

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
I've shot trap twice in my life, both times at the Shooting Sports Fair.  I'm hoping to pick up a shotgun sometime soon and want to take up trap shooting.  Does anyone do classes for beginners?

I usually shoot trap from the longest range.
I only shoot with full choke.
Practice, practice, practice.
My only advice is remove the sights  from the
shotgun.

mikenkapolei

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »
It's been a year since I started this thread and have since been shooting trap regularly. I'm usually at the trap range on Sundays, and have seen all kinds of shotguns being used.
Although your coach gun was not designed for shooting trap, you can definitely bring it out and use it.
Keep in mind, you'll need to use target loads.  Typically 1-1/8 oz of #8 or #7-1/2 lead shot, going about 1100-1200 fps. Shot larger than 7-1/2 is not allowed.
If you want to lessen the recoil, try using lighter 1 oz loads.
Trap range is open on Sundays 0900-1600.  Cost to shoot is $7.00 for a round of trap (25 birds)  for non-members. 
Sundays can get pretty busy so it's better to come early if you don't want to sit around and wait to shoot. 
Trap range also opens on the first Saturday of every month.  Let me know when you're coming out and I'll help you get started.
You'll have a lot of fun so bring more ammo than you think you'll need!