Stop the bleed classes (Read 13671 times)

zippz

Stop the bleed classes
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/stop-the-bleed-classes-teach-proper-bleeding-techniques/2037795183

Queens hospital.is giving trauma classes, good to know info that could save a life.

3rd Thursday of the month 5 to 6pm
Queens medical center punchbowl campus

For more information, visit www.bleedingcontrol.org. For information on classes, contact TJ Donayri at (808) 691-7059 or cdonayri@queens.org.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Drakiir84

Re: Stop the bleed classes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
According to comments on facebook, all I need to stop the bleeding are tampons and pads lololol.....
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »
According to comments on facebook, all I need to stop the bleeding are tampons and pads lololol.....

There hasn't been a "feminine hygiene" product in my house since my older daughter moved out.

I'm unprepared...   :shake:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »
https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/stop-the-bleed-classes-teach-proper-bleeding-techniques/2037795183

Queens hospital.is giving trauma classes, good to know info that could save a life.

3rd Thursday of the month 5 to 6pm
Queens medical center punchbowl campus

For more information, visit www.bleedingcontrol.org. For information on classes, contact TJ Donayri at (808) 691-7059 or cdonayri@queens.org.

i'm sure that our own @ambubadger does a better and more entertaining job...

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »
You should be GTG then!   :rofl:

i'm sure that our own @ambubadger does a better and more entertaining job...
I heard you'll be the "test dummy" for demonstration on the nasal airway next time.   ;D

Seriously though, this type of training/education is valuable.  Many folks don't realize how they can make a difference with just some basic techniques.  Or how tight a TQ truly needs to be to be effective. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
Try reading the reviews on amazon.  Many are like "I was cutting an avocado...almost died if I didn't have a TQ".

But buyer beware on Amazon, lots of fake TQ's.  If you need one now, go to 5.11.  They keep em on the shelf.

zippz

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
5.11 is offering the Stop the Bleed class tomorrow. 4pm-5:30pm

Join us in-store at 5.11 Honolulu on Saturday, July 27 for a free Stop the Bleed course.

Learn “Life Saving” techniques in bleeding control. Instructor David Jones will be providing hands-on training and teaching techniques on trauma care. Topics to be discussed will include:
• Basic First Aid techniques
• Stop the Bleed
• How to prepare a First Aid kit/bag

Instructor Jones is an active firefighter on the Honolulu Fire Department and paramedic.

Spots limited. Please call 5.11 Honolulu at (808) 892-4411 to RSVP.

https://www.facebook.com/events/462962757601789/

macsak

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
5.11 is offering the Stop the Bleed class tomorrow. 4pm-5:30pm

Join us in-store at 5.11 Honolulu on Saturday, July 27 for a free Stop the Bleed course.

Learn “Life Saving” techniques in bleeding control. Instructor David Jones will be providing hands-on training and teaching techniques on trauma care. Topics to be discussed will include:
• Basic First Aid techniques
• Stop the Bleed
• How to prepare a First Aid kit/bag

Instructor Jones is an active firefighter on the Honolulu Fire Department and paramedic.

Spots limited. Please call 5.11 Honolulu at (808) 892-4411 to RSVP.

https://www.facebook.com/events/462962757601789/

Jonesy is a fun and informative instructor...

6716J

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »
Damn I missed the Saturday class. I gave up on the classes at 5.11 as they always happened Friday afternoons and I can't get there then
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

zippz

RSN172

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
Today's CBS Morning News said they were teaching school teachers on the mainland to put on surgical gloves and stick their fingers in the bullet hole to stop the bleeding.  I would bet 80% would not do that and I have no idea how effective it would be.  Someone enlighten me please.

AmbuBadger

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
Today's CBS Morning News said they were teaching school teachers on the mainland to put on surgical gloves and stick their fingers in the bullet hole to stop the bleeding.  I would bet 80% would not do that and I have no idea how effective it would be.  Someone enlighten me please.

I haven’t checked 2A in years, so sorry if this is late. I have taught these classes at both 5.11 and HFD for our EMT medical refresher training. HFD and AMR both follow the TECC guidelines. Sticking your finger into a junctional wound is good if the wound track is big enough. You might be able to get a feel for the blood pulsing from the artery and apply pressure there— hold that for three minutes (obviously don’t sit there if you’re getting shot at, ffs...) and pack & wrap. If you have a Combat Gauze hemostatic dressing, pack that in there first and try to push it as far up (toward the heart) as possible and then use rolled gauze or z-pack gauze to fill the cavity and keep the hemostatic dressing pressed up against the artery. Failing that, you can push a water bottle, iPhone, deck of cards, flashlight, pistol/rifle mag, etc. against the pelvis for leg bleeds too high for a tourniquet or in the “shooter’s pocket” (where your rifle butt goes) for an arm bleeds.

My schedule is crazy, but if people are interested, I can do a class. It’ll likely be at 5.11 since they’ve been wanting another, and I think they’ll be open to me suggesting a day all you HI 2A guys can come down.

Also, a rule of thumb for CAT TQs: it should be pulled tight enough that no more than three turn stops the bleed/pulse.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
SNIP

Also, a rule of thumb for CAT TQs: it should be pulled tight enough that no more than three turn stops the bleed/pulse.
It was surprising to me how tight it needs to be to stop pulse when applied upper thigh. Especially in “meatier” legs, like mine. It was pretty sore when the TQ finally stopped pulse on my ankle.  :'(

Thank you for volunteering. I’m down for refreshers. Hopefully my schedule will be less crazy soon (prob same for you).

Another good tip is how to stage the TQs for rapid application.

AmbuBadger

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »
∆∆ Yeah, two may be required for a femoral, that's the largest extremity artery you've got. Most advocate starting your assessment at the legs because of this, you'll want to catch any bleed sooner than later. Legs --> arms --> head & neck --> torso & abdomen. A tension pneumo will take far more time to kill you than an arterial bleed. Also, there's two ways to stage a TQ: with the tail pulled through the buckle to facilitate one-handed self-rescue, and outside for applying to others.

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
Just ordered some Combat Gauze from Amazon (CELOX).  Had the old school powder and sponge.

Hope it's not counterfeit like how my TQ from Amazon was.   But no reviews of the gauze mentioned people receiving counterfeit ones.  Compared to the reviews on CAT TQ's.  Get lots who said they got Chinese knockoffs.  Now I order my TQ's from skinnymedic, dark angel, or buy in-store at KM Concepts or 5.11.

My friend had black latex gloves in his IFAK.  Told him to replace with blue or white cause you can see the blood better.  Black looks cool, but hard to see blood.

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
Just ordered some Combat Gauze from Amazon (CELOX).  Had the old school powder and sponge.

Hope it's not counterfeit like how my TQ from Amazon was.   But no reviews of the gauze mentioned people receiving counterfeit ones.  Compared to the reviews on CAT TQ's.  Get lots who said they got Chinese knockoffs.  Now I order my TQ's from skinnymedic, dark angel, or buy in-store at KM Concepts or 5.11.

My friend had black latex gloves in his IFAK.  Told him to replace with blue or white cause you can see the blood better.  Black looks cool, but hard to see blood.
Check the exp date. See lots of sales on those supplies, but then see exp date of say 2021.

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
Check the exp date. See lots of sales on those supplies, but then see exp date of say 2021.

Do you know how long after the XP  date you can go?  Like MRE's or milk?

zippz

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
Do you know how long after the XP  date you can go?  Like MRE's or milk?

Lots of expiration dates on products are based on how long the packaging lasts and also storage conditions.  Probably last a long time if stored properly, not sure how long.  I keep my stuff a couple years past the expiration.