Mt. Fuji (Read 9459 times)

jonjon

Mt. Fuji
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Just finished climbing Mount Fuji and now sitting on a bus in traffic to get back to Tokyo which will probably take longer than it did for me to climb mount fuji  :D

For any one interested in climbing Mt. Fuji here is a link to the website that I got most of my information from
http://www.garyjwolff.com/climbing-mt-fuji.html

I just climbed Fuji in the off season which is both good and bad, good being it is less crowded bad because most of the facilities on the mountain are closed. This was a three day weekend in Japan so the freeway was packed with cars. Japan has one of the greatest rail systems in the world and one of the highest costs to own a vehicle but their traffic is still crazy  ??? But hey hawaii's rail will be different and we will be rid of long commutes once it's done :shaka:  anyways climbing Mount Fuji was pretty tuff but not as hard as I was expecting, I always hope for the best but plan for the worst so I probably ended up bringing more gear than I needed.

I was very lucky and the weather was perfect, ended up climbing to the summit from the 5th station in about 3 hours and 15 mins. the average time is about 6 hours. I did it alone so I was able to stick to a fairly quick pace. I summited just at sunset and was one of only about 5 people there, it was both beautiful and eerie at the same time. I hiked down to the 8th station and spent the night there to watch the sunrise. Hiked back down to the 5th stationing after sunrise in a little over an hour.

I always wanted to climb Mt. Fuji and knew I had to do it more sooner than later, not getting any younger(almost 42)  I would reccommend climbing Mt Fuji to everyone, while I was there I saw kids that looked around 6 years old to seniors in their seventies or eighties climbing. Don't get me wrong people do die every season on Mt. Fuji but as long as you stick to a  pace comfortable to you and watch your step you should be ok.
If anyone is interested in climbing Mt. Fuji and have any questions let me know and I would be more than happy to help you out, hell I might even end up climbing with you :D

Will post some pics as soon as I get back to my hotel :shaka:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:07:42 AM by jonjon »

Re: Mt. Fuji
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
^ Congratulations^    :thumbsup:

new guy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:13:03 AM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
outstanding :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

jonjon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »
Posted some pics of Mt. Fuji and the sunset and sunrise from there.

Congrats and much respect... cross that off your Bucket List!!   :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys - yup crossed off another "to do" off my list

They have a saying in Japan - "a wise man will climb Mt. Fuji once in his life but only a fool will do it twice"

new guy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:12:47 AM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

jonjon

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 05:02:57 AM »
Heading to the Land of the Rising Sun, and hoping to do an off-season ascent of Fuji-San.

How gnarly was it with all the closed Way Stations, and what did you do to prep for the ascent? :shaka:

Hey New, when are you planning to go and are you planning to do it alone? Here is a good read:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k2557203-Climbing_Mt_Fuji_during_off_season-Japan.html

bs63366

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
Posted some pics of Mt. Fuji and the sunset and sunrise from there.

Thanks Guys - yup crossed off another "to do" off my list

They have a saying in Japan - "a wise man will climb Mt. Fuji once in his life but only a fool will do it twice"

Congrats from a fool.  Never made a sunrise or sunset though.  Were you able to get your hiking staff and get the brands as you went up?

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
Awesome experience.  How much is gas in Japan?  Heard a parking stall to rent is like paying a mortgage and you can't buy  a  car without proving you have parking for it 1st.

jonjon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »
Congrats from a fool.  Never made a sunrise or sunset though.  Were you able to get your hiking staff and get the brands as you went up?

I actually climb in the off-season when the mountain is officially closed so all the shops along the way are closed for the season. I believe the government considers climbing mt. Fuji when it's closed an act of attempting suicide  :crazy:

jonjon

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »
Awesome experience.  How much is gas in Japan?  Heard a parking stall to rent is like paying a mortgage and you can't buy  a  car without proving you have parking for it 1st.

Gas is around $4.25 per gallon for regular. Yup the cost of owning a car in Tokyo is really expensive, a lot cheaper and a lot more convienient to use the train system.

paka808

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
that's pretty awesome.added to my bucket list :thumbsup: